Confession: Throwing Away People's Homemade Treats

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I enjoy treats , and make them fit into my calorie goals.
    When I receive more treats then I could possibly eat, I leave them on the work kitchen table on a nice tray. People walk by and grab one and soon enough, the tray is empty .
    I also take them to the local state run nursing home. Some of the seniors have no family, and would love some cookies or cakes ! There often isn't room in the budget for those types of places to supply every senior with extras and treats so its always appreciated.
    Packaged treats and boxes of chocolates can be dropped off at food pantries and such places. Again, those people who are going to a food pantry may not be able to buy extras like cakes and chocolate so appreciate the goodies.
    There's many better things to do with the food then to dump it in the trash

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    or, you could just leave them in the office break room ...

This, and that's what I do if the food does not belong in my eating plan for medical reasons. Otherwise, they go home with me and get devoured in moderation.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Very funny - persimmon pudding. Sounds yummy.
  • 1meh
    1meh Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Now I want to find persimmon pudding. Just so I know what it is.

And I've taken these types of gifts (because the person spent time making them just for me, and I didn't want to hurt their feelings saying no) and binned them before. A bit wasteful? Yes, but no worse than the millions of trees dying for wrapping paper people. And sometimes I give them to those that want them (especially now that I live in a city where I am surrounded by ppl).

No judgement, do what is good for you, your health and your goals.

And don't worry about firing us up, I hear the fire burns calories :trollface:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Recently, I went to quite a bit of trouble to make the wedding jewelry for a friend of a friend, and getting it done on time and to the person was a hassle. She didn't wear it. I don't know why. I wouldn't have really cared if she had just said she didn't like or want it, what bothered me was that my work and creativity and hassle were for nothing. It would've been better if had just told me outright.

Do you see the correlation?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I live in a city with homeless who are younger than me, coming up to my car every day at intersections asking for food and money...I can't stand throwing out food because of this. If you live in a town or city with less homeless it may not cross your mind, understandable.

The homeless people in my area have been disappointed with my leftovers, preferred money. Which is fine, up to them, I'm not going to judge their preferences.

NB that is not necessarily food I cooked. I'm a good cook. That would be like a sandwich I bought and changed my mind about.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My son who works at a physical therapist just came home with a bowl full of stuff. He said the past two days were like one big dessert buffet, with one client after another bringing homemade goodies, all excellent. (I know I sampled one of them and shame on me, didn't count it.) He said people bring stuff all year, but Christmas is pretty bad. By the way, he lost 45 lbs. just from changing from full-time to part-time (he went back to school for a certification for PT). He's only 23 and was never overweight, but is into body building and very physically active; he said the "cut" was very easy once he wasn't exposed to all the office food he was grazing on. Most of us aren't lucky enough to withstand a 45 lb. weight gain (he looked massive and handsome) from eating office food, unfortunately.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My work place has a higher population of people with diabetes than the general population does, so many of us have become sensitive about bringing in goodies. We honor each other in ways that do not include food.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    My work place has a higher population of people with diabetes than the general population does, so many of us have become sensitive about bringing in goodies. We honor each other in ways that do not include food.

I wish that was the case with my husband's workplace. He is diabetic, and most of his colleagues are middle-aged men with high blood pressure, etc. Yet the admin keeps a steady stream of baked goods, donuts, etc. coming into the office, and if there's a late worknight, they send out for pizza. It's very frustrating for me because we've removed all "white food" (sugar, white bread, white pasta, etc.) from our home, but the goodies at his workplace (and his lack of will power around them) are keeping him unhealthy
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Ms_Chai wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

I don't. :-( Is it good?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Ms_Chai wrote: »
    OP, if it makes you feel any better. I have personally taken and tossed treats before from my workplace because it didn't fit in my calorie goal for the day.

I have also been the person who brought delicious treats to work and had no one take them because they didn't know what it was. It was persimmon pudding people.....persimmon pudding. WHO doesn't know what persimmon pudding is?!? Anyway, my point here is, that in that situation I would have preferred if they had politely taken a slice and tossed it themselves. Instead, it made me feel like I wasted my time altogether.

I don't. :-( Is it good?

I don't either, and I think I would have heard of it, living so close by in Illinois :D

@Ms_Chai , here's your chance to have a whole planet try it: What's your recipe, and could you include persimmon selection / buying instructions, please?

Oh, and in.... For edible unfortunate looking sauce.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Also, I have never heard of persimmon pudding.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Agreed, What a waste.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    lamkini wrote: »
    Just a confession: I throw away the homemade treats all my co-workers make and foist upon me throughout the holiday season. And I don't feel bad about it. I've got goals.

Today's treat: some kind of caramel brittle or something. Looked great.

I agree and do this too!
  • meddaugh67
    meddaugh67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lamkini wrote: »
    Just a confession: I throw away the homemade treats all my co-workers make and foist upon me throughout the holiday season. And I don't feel bad about it. I've got goals.

Today's treat: some kind of caramel brittle or something. Looked great.

I agree and do this too!

Same here!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    As someone who likes to make goodies to share, just say no thank you. You are under no obligation to take them. It would upset me more if I found out you threw them away then for you to say no thanks. Don't waste when I can just give them to someone else.

Seriously no thank you is just fine!
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't keep things either. If I can't leave it at work or take it home for my kids to eat then I don't need it. I don't personally eat the sweets so I wouldn't feel bad. I just say no now though. I don't feel the need to eat something just because someone made it for me.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure people are talking about throwing away food that is directly handed to them, I do this when the desserts are given to me. . . This doesn't include picking something from a table or break room and then tossing it.

If someone makes an offer to me, I'll say "no thank you" (almost always) .... Then if the baker is pushy , why argue -- no thanks means "please don't ask me again".

The office is where lots of diets are sabatoged.