Name a Way of Eating

Options
Now we often hear the newest fad to eating or the only way to lose weight. How about we share in an open and nonjudgmental way? Nearly everyday I hear of a new "way of eating" which I find incredibly intriguing. The diet that works is the one that is easiest to adhere to but not everyone works the same way. Some have to combat a sweet tooth and others love that juicy burger.

What is your way of getting on track with your weight? Maybe you don't have a specific way that works for you but have in the past done or heard of a diet. Remember share the rules so we all get a chance to understand the guidelines. Maybe there is some pattern/strategy/choice of food that may open others up to world they didn't know was a possibility. I personal have tried a ton of ways and still working things out.
*If you don't know of the rules maybe share where you heard it.

I'll start. Slow-carb Diet introduced by Tim Ferris in the 4-hour body.
*6 days of the week the food is limited to:
Lean proteins like chicken, fish, and also eggs. Limited beef and pork.
Lots of low carb veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, (think green if in doubt) limit carrots and other hidden sugars
Legumes as the carb. Lentils, black beans and pinto beans. They have high fiber and some protein.
*No fruit, no diary, no refined sugars.
*Eat ~30g of protein within the first 30min of waking.
7th day is a cheat day. You start breakfast as slow-carb but then other meals can be whatever you want! Some thought to cheat meals is incorporating Garlic Extract, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Green Tea extract supplements, drinking LOTS of water and caffeinated beverages. Also use of grapefruit/citrus fruits and cinnamon to prevent insulin spikes.
1.5 hours after each meal do 1-2min of simple work-outs like air squats, wall press or "push-ups" and resistance band chest pulls

The 6 days may seem dull but easy to put together vs the ol' "where/what should I eat" dilemma. Its not low carb but slow carb. This is fiber packed and filling. Can eat to satisfaction. Natural diuretic affects. Cheat day is all day. You use it to refeed as well as delayed gratification. Some thought into damage control. Can easily clear a room...

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The "My Way" diet. It was developed over several years of making an adjustment so that I can eat what I want, when I want (note:"Wants" have changed), I don't have to log, I never (ok very, very rarely) feel hungry or deprived of any delicious foods, I never feel guilty and I always have energy. There are no rules to follow and I don't force myself to eat things I don't like. There are many foods that I ate very often that I no longer do, not because they are forbidden, but because I simply don't want them anymore.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No diet diet. Just eat to nourish the body for a long, healthy life. Eat to Live.
    * If you do the slow carb diet with no dairy products, track your calcium. Beans might not have enough.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Calories In, Calories Out.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I do the "Balanced Diet". Plenty of macro/micro nutrients and variety. Less calories than TDEE to lose, TDEE to maintain, and a slight surplus to gain.
  • rkleespies
    rkleespies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same with the other PP...I count my calories and make sure I'm eating a good variety of nutritious foods. Eliminating specific foods or food groups only makes me want them more.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the idea of getting all of my nutrients in liquid form so those smoothie/juicing diets sound fantastic to me. Unfortunately the only nutritionally complete solutions in liquid form I've found taste foul lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    Now we often hear the newest fad to eating or the only way to lose weight. How about we share in an open and nonjudgmental way? Nearly everyday I hear of a new "way of eating" which I find incredibly intriguing. The diet that works is the one that is easiest to adhere to but not everyone works the same way. Some have to combat a sweet tooth and others love that juicy burger.

What is your way of getting on track with your weight? Maybe you don't have a specific way that works for you but have in the past done or heard of a diet. Remember share the rules so we all get a chance to understand the guidelines. Maybe there is some pattern/strategy/choice of food that may open others up to world they didn't know was a possibility. I personal have tried a ton of ways and still working things out.
    *If you don't know of the rules maybe share where you heard it.

I'll start. Slow-carb Diet introduced by Tim Ferris in the 4-hour body.
    *6 days of the week the food is limited to:
    Lean proteins like chicken, fish, and also eggs. Limited beef and pork.
    Lots of low carb veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, (think green if in doubt) limit carrots and other hidden sugars
    Legumes as the carb. Lentils, black beans and pinto beans. They have high fiber and some protein.
    *No fruit, no diary, no refined sugars.
    *Eat ~30g of protein within the first 30min of waking.
    7th day is a cheat day. You start breakfast as slow-carb but then other meals can be whatever you want! Some thought to cheat meals is incorporating Garlic Extract, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Green Tea extract supplements, drinking LOTS of water and caffeinated beverages. Also use of grapefruit/citrus fruits and cinnamon to prevent insulin spikes.
    1.5 hours after each meal do 1-2min of simple work-outs like air squats, wall press or "push-ups" and resistance band chest pulls

The 6 days may seem dull but easy to put together vs the ol' "where/what should I eat" dilemma. Its not low carb but slow carb. This is fiber packed and filling. Can eat to satisfaction. Natural diuretic affects. Cheat day is all day. You use it to refeed as well as delayed gratification. Some thought into damage control. Can easily clear a room...

I am curious why this diet recommends protein which spikes insulin and then says that you should prevent insulin spikes...?

why no fruit?
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The "Be Freakin' Brutally Honest Diet" brought to you by my food scale. Having it has opened my eyes to the realities of what and how much I'm consuming. Sometimes I cannot believe how much I used to eat.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    80/20 paleo-ish. Intermittent fasting. I tend to avoid dairy, mostly because it makes my skin itch. TONS of veggies. Macros are roughly 25/25/50 p/c/f averaged over the long term.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat the food I put in my mouth. It works for me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm going to name my way of eating Steve

Just because I like the name and don't have any sons

Steve = eat appropriate sized portions; concentrate on getting plenty of (but by no means exclusively) whole, nutrient dense foods; get adequate hydration; exercise; get adequate rest.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I support your decision 100% juggernaut.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I am curious why this diet recommends protein which spikes insulin and then says that you should prevent insulin spikes...?

why no fruit?

Studies have been done with protein breakfasts resulting in less body fat. Whether it be appetite suppressing or a hormone balancing its not quite clear.
    The cheat day is also a junk day. The point is to avoid absorbing as much of the junk food as possible.
    No fruit because no sugar in any form. The book is far better at explaining it.

FYI, I don't do this now but its an example of a diet style.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why no fruit?

Studies have been done with protein breakfasts resulting in less body fat. Whether it be appetite suppressing or a hormone balancing its not quite clear.
    The cheat day is also a junk day. The point is to avoid absorbing as much of the junk food as possible.
    No fruit because no sugar in any form. The book is far better at explaining it.

FYI, I don't do this now but its an example of a diet style.

do you have links to said studies?

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I hit 100g+ of protein, always fruit and some veggies and whatever else I feel like eating within my calories. Why complicate things?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I support your decision 100% juggernaut.

I had a feeling you would
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Steve = eat appropriate sized portions; concentrate on getting plenty of (but by no means exclusively) whole, nutrient dense foods; get adequate hydration; exercise; get adequate rest.

"Steve" makes a lot of sense. Losing weight in a healthy, sensible manner really is as simple as that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Fry-Shut-Up-and-Take-My-Money-Futurama.gif
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The "conservation of energy" diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been eating slow carb since 2001 I think. Pre Tim ferris. It works for me!