2»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    besee_2000 wrote: »

I am curious why this diet recommends protein which spikes insulin and then says that you should prevent insulin spikes...?

why no fruit?

Studies have been done with protein breakfasts resulting in less body fat. Whether it be appetite suppressing or a hormone balancing its not quite clear.
    The cheat day is also a junk day. The point is to avoid absorbing as much of the junk food as possible.
    No fruit because no sugar in any form. The book is far better at explaining it.

FYI, I don't do this now but its an example of a diet style.

do you have links to said studies?

Additionally, how exactly do you avoid absorbing as much of the junk as possible?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    The see food diet. I see food I want to eat and I eat it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The see food diet. I see food I want to eat and I eat it.

I definitely partake in the "see food" diet...

But really, why complicate how and when you eat. Op's diet sound really OCD for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Calories In, Calories Out.

This ^^

It's what has worked for me! :grin:

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519113024.htm ugh you people are no fun. It's about the diet existing not whether or not it works. The cabbage diet is another one. I wouldn't do it but it exists. Details on that one not sure about
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    80/20 paleo-ish. Intermittent fasting. I tend to avoid dairy, mostly because it makes my skin itch. TONS of veggies. Macros are roughly 25/25/50 p/c/f averaged over the long term.
    Thank you! If you could elaborate on your "paleo-ish" and intermittent fasting. These terms are new to some.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I answered this question in similar thread, so to avoid retyping: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34872427/#Comment_34872427

Basically I go through phases of modified intermittent fasting (eating more one day and less on the next) followed by a few weeks of "weekly budget" where I lump all of my calories for the week into one budget and any individual day can be as high or as low as needed within reasons as long as it does not cause a huge hole in my budget. No other rules apply regarding the type of food or timing of meals.

OP posted this thread for people to share, not to sit there and defend her diet. Who cares if she doesn't eat fruits? If it makes things easier for her then what's the deal? Some people need rules, even if they sound arbitrary. I do very poorly with rules and restrictions that can't be bent out of shape to fit my preferences and whims, so this diet would be an absolute disaster for me. For someone else though, it may be the answer to life the universe and everything.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110519113024.htm ugh you people are no fun. It's about the diet existing not whether or not it works. The cabbage diet is another one. I wouldn't do it but it exists. Details on that one not sure about

Interesting read. I find it kind of funny that a "high protein" breakfast was a Belgian waffle, syrup, and yogurt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I answered this question in similar thread, so to avoid retyping: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/34872427/#Comment_34872427

Basically I go through phases of modified intermittent fasting (eating more one day and less on the next) followed by a few weeks of "weekly budget" where I lump all of my calories for the week into one budget and any individual day can be as high or as low as needed within reasons as long as it does not cause a huge hole in my budget. No other rules apply regarding the type of food or timing of meals.

OP posted this thread for people to share, not to sit there and defend her diet. Who cares if she doesn't eat fruits? If it makes things easier for her then what's the deal? Some people need rules, even if they sound arbitrary. I do very poorly with rules and restrictions that can't be bent out of shape to fit my preferences and whims, so this diet would be an absolute disaster for me. For someone else though, it may be the answer to life the universe and everything.

I don't care what OP does. i wanted to know why the diet says no fruit, which I find amusing as fruits are nutrient dense and should be eaten.

I also find it interesting that the diet says control insulin spikes and then recommends a food that spikes insulin as much as carbs.

Finally, a lot of people lurk in these forums and read some of these things as diets that one could actually try, so i like to get clarification and will continue to do so.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I am curious why this diet recommends protein which spikes insulin and then says that you should prevent insulin spikes...?

why no fruit?

Studies have been done with protein breakfasts resulting in less body fat. Whether it be appetite suppressing or a hormone balancing its not quite clear.
    The cheat day is also a junk day. The point is to avoid absorbing as much of the junk food as possible.
    No fruit because no sugar in any form. The book is far better at explaining it.

FYI, I don't do this now but its an example of a diet style.

that is basically saying eat a high protein diet because you will be more full and eat less.

You could also eat a high carb/high fat breakfast be full, eat less, and you will have less body fat.

not really seeing the correlation between high protein intake and lower body fat…

Protein intake is typically recommended to be high so that one retains muscle mass while in a deficit.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in the 'Eat anything you want but eat less' diet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    5:2 way of eating suited me very well when I was losing weight.
    Found my adherance to a weekly calorie goal was far easier than every day restriction. Just found having a large calorie restriction twice a week far easier to sustain than feeling restricted every day which sapped my willpower in the past.

Also broke some of my habitual eating routines and I eat more intuitively now.

For me it supported a heavy exercise schedule very well as I was fully fuelled 5 days a week.

I've played around with different eating patterns since I've been maintaining (5:2, 6:1, 16:8, breakfast skipping, 3 meals day + plus snacks - I like experimenting!) but don't feel the need to stick to any of them rigidly. Just useful tools which I use as required.
    Ditto for calorie counting, sometimes I do, sometimes I lazy log, sometimes I can't be bothered to log at all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'll go or the obvious:

Ketogenic (very low carb high fat)

My rules:
    • Keep carbohydrate intake at or below about 20g per day
    • Try to have most carbs come from veggies
    • Eat moderate protein, usually under 80g per day for me
    • Increase sodium intake to make up for water and electrolytes lost
    • Eat until satiated. Usually.

• closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    80/20 paleo-ish. Intermittent fasting. I tend to avoid dairy, mostly because it makes my skin itch. TONS of veggies. Macros are roughly 25/25/50 p/c/f averaged over the long term.
    Thank you! If you could elaborate on your "paleo-ish" and intermittent fasting. These terms are new to some.

Sure thing. I eat mostly vegetables, some fruits, lean meats and eggs. Fats include avocados, olives, olive oil, pastured lard, coconut oil, and ghee. I avoid grains, dairy, and legumes, for the most part, because they don't play well with my stomach, but also because I have a family tendency toward metabolic syndrome. As to intermittent fasting, I pick a couple of days per week, and eat only one meal (typically dinner) at around 500 calories. The other days I'm eating closer to 2000 calories. There are many ways to accomplish intermittent fasting. 1) Narrow your eating window, for example to 4 hours; 2) Eat a reduced calorie count, but spread it throughout the day; 3) Eat only one meal on that day. Play with the concept and see if it works for you.