Ways to conquer bored eating/strengthen willpower????

Options
I always start the day off really well, then I end up bored eating throughout the day. I've discovered I have little to no willpower and it's stressing me out. Any good ways to overcome this?

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    One suggestion (you'll get lots more) is to delay. Everytime you head to the kitchen/whereever to get a snack, say to yourself, Okay, I'll get it in half an hour. After half an hour, delay again. Third time, get the snack. Or delay again if you can. Delaying is an easier pill to swallow than a straight 'no' when you're working on building up your will power.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I always start the day off really well, then I end up bored eating throughout the day. I've discovered I have little to no willpower and it's stressing me out. Any good ways to overcome this?
    I totally get this!
    I would look in my food diary and see what that looks like (yours is closed). I always feel this way if my chosen (custom) macros are not fulfilled.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I will only eat 300 - 500 calories in the morning/afternoon so I can have 1500 calories that night when I know ill be really hungry.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    One suggestion (you'll get lots more) is to delay. Everytime you head to the kitchen/whereever to get a snack, say to yourself, Okay, I'll get it in half an hour. After half an hour, delay again. Third time, get the snack. Or delay again if you can. Delaying is an easier pill to swallow than a straight 'no' when you're working on building up your will power.

Wow, I love that!
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me it's to keep busy and get enough sleep. When I'm bored I tend to snack and over eat and when I haven't had enough sleep. It took me a LONG time to figure out these were my two biggest triggers...and outside of that, if all else fails, get a pair of goal jeans or a goal outfit! At this point I've lost nearly 70 pounds, but I still have 30 more to go. So I look at my old jeans, and look at my goal jeans, and really it's a matter of wanting to wear those stinking jeans more than I want junk. Then I go make myself busy so I don't sit around thinking about food. LOL
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Totally love the delay idea.

Maybe making sure that you are well hydrated, trying distractions such as a hobby, going for a walk, reading etc could help.

Having a handle on your triggers too is helpful as someone else has pointed out....
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Some awesome advice above. The delay idea is something I use with my clients regularly. Boredom/emotional hunger tends to come on in a hurry. That's how you can tell it apart from physical hunger, which tends to come on more gradually. So if you find hunger punching you in the fact, deliberately take some deep breaths and opt for another activity to occupy your mind. A walk, a book, a mobility circuit, cleaning, whatever. Anything. Chances are after 20-40 minutes, the impulsive hunger will have passed.

If it didn't, I'd begin to question whether or not you're actually physically hungry. And if it seems too soon to be hungry relative to your prior meal, then maybe you need to look at the satiating qualities of said meal.

And as someone else noted, becoming more aware of your triggers is also key. I highly suggest doing some accounting of the actual circumstances that tend to drive your boredom hunger. Time of day, environment, what are you doing immediately before, how do you feel immediately after, what are the thoughts leading up to the act, etc. Put pen to paper and start journaling about it. Awareness goes so dang far in this whole process. The more aware we become, the more deliberate and in the moment our thinking and choices can be.
  • olivia_roland
    olivia_roland Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some awesome advice above. The delay idea is something I use with my clients regularly. Boredom/emotional hunger tends to come on in a hurry. That's how you can tell it apart from physical hunger, which tends to come on more gradually. So if you find hunger punching you in the fact, deliberately take some deep breaths and opt for another activity to occupy your mind. A walk, a book, a mobility circuit, cleaning, whatever. Anything. Chances are after 20-40 minutes, the impulsive hunger will have passed.

If it didn't, I'd begin to question whether or not you're actually physically hungry. And if it seems too soon to be hungry relative to your prior meal, then maybe you need to look at the satiating qualities of said meal.

And as someone else noted, becoming more aware of your triggers is also key. I highly suggest doing some accounting of the actual circumstances that tend to drive your boredom hunger. Time of day, environment, what are you doing immediately before, how do you feel immediately after, what are the thoughts leading up to the act, etc. Put pen to paper and start journaling about it. Awareness goes so dang far in this whole process. The more aware we become, the more deliberate and in the moment our thinking and choices can be.

Thanks so much!!! Everyone's advice has been super helpful. I really struggle with this issue and I'm thankful for new ideas on how to handle it.
  • Poutinepauline
    Poutinepauline Posts: 4 Member
    Options

wow I like that and will try. that will occupy me.
  • Poutinepauline
    Poutinepauline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    this is the first Community message board I have looked at. Wow all good advise. Olivia Roland you asked a great question....so me!!!Thanks to all.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Your not ready from the sounds of it. when you are actually ready to embark on the journey this wont be an issue.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Wow, I love that!

I use the delay technique for high-calorie meals or indulgent treats, too, if I don't want to spend all those calories. I tell myself, "ok, you can have that pizza (or ice cream cone or Chinese takeout or whatever calorie bomb I may be craving), but I'll have it Thursday instead of today...ok, how bout Saturday lunch...Monday dinner, etc." I just keep moving it a day or two ahead and most times, by then I've lost the craving and never end up getting it. (And yes, I do fit smaller treats into my week, but I'm talking about things that could really put a dent in my calorie allowance or trigger overeating.)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Treat the cause - not the symptom.

Don't let yourself get bored.

I find that if I keep myself occupied doing something - helping my kids clean their room; emptying out and organizing that junk drawer; go through my closet and get rid of clothes that don't fit; change all the burnt out lightbulbs; finally fix that squeaky wheel or leaky faucet; etc, I tend not to do mindless snacking like I would if I were just sitting, vegging out in front of the TV. And, as an added bonus, you get all those little chores done!
  • olivia_roland
    olivia_roland Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Your not ready from the sounds of it. when you are actually ready to embark on the journey this wont be an issue.

This isn't true at all nor is it helpful. Everyone struggles with something, that's why I'm reaching out to a community of people with the same goals.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Yeah... no.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is structure. I have certain times a day that I eat. If it's not that time I don't eat (unless it's an emergency like a blood sugar drop after an intense workout).

I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and an evening snack. It was a little tough at first, but it's a no brainer now. My hunger signals have shifted and I'm not even hungry until its time to eat.

Basically, if I'm bored and think I want to eat something, I tell myself that it isn't time to eat. Dinner is only an hour away and I won't starve before then. Dinner is going to be amazing and I don't want to spoil my appetite. Then I find something else to do to distract myself until then.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Yeah... no.

Hiyah @stroutman81 . Trying to work out what your response means
    I have seen comments like this about not being ready all the time now and started to believe it being true
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Yeah... no.

I have seen comments like this about not being ready all the time now and started to believe it being true

Being ready doesn't mean you won't struggle. It may mean you are willing to do whatever is necessary to push past your struggles, but there is not a point where you are ready and everything just becomes simple. It is totally possible to be at your goal weight and still wanting to eat that entire package of oreos.
  • Rookie_Runner
    Rookie_Runner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me the only that works with boredom eating is whenever I feel bored I get up and walk and talk on the phone to distract me thoroughly. Call that one family member that you know likes to talk awhile, if your like me and you pace on the phone after 45 minutes you've realized you've taken 6,000 steps! :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Yeah... no.

Being ready doesn't mean you won't struggle. It may mean you are willing to do whatever is necessary to push past your struggles, but there is not a point where you are ready and everything just becomes simple. It is totally possible to be at your goal weight and still wanting to eat that entire package of oreos.

When I wanted to lose weight it just clicked into place when I found this site
    I read on the forums log food lose weight, stop making excuses, so I tried. Simple concept, hard work
    I got to where I want to be, but don't have that extra push to take it further, so I guess that's why I am curious re those comments