Peanut butter problems

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE MIXING OF PB2 and peanut butter, that idea is genius and simple!!! I will do this! And it's a trigger food for me. Haha I know I'm not addicted, and I could live without I just want to be comfortable enough to eat it in healthy portions. I'm also upping my fat and protein intake and the cravings may lessen. And yes I know! It's crazy weight gain and not helping me at all. I'll try these wonderful ideas and keep you updated on my peanut butter problems.
    That is a good plan. Enjoy feeling good about your decisions. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat sooooo much peanut butter. It adds an extra 500 calories a day. I'm going to try to avoid it for a week and see what happens (by weaning off of course cause I'm addicted:)

I have a better suggestion if you want to try it. Why not portion the peanut butter, weight it, log it, and put the jar away, and then eat peanut butter? Unless you have an allergy or intolerance to peanuts, in which case abstinence is the best idea, cutting back might work better than just cutting it out. Also, if it's a trigger food for you, you might put it in a different part of the house so it's not staring you in the face every time you open the cabinet.

Also, you may feel addicted because it tastes so darn good, but it sounds more like compulsion eating of peanut butter. Food in and of itself is not bad, but it's important to look at the behaviors around food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I love peanut butter! My solution has been to have it once a day (so that way I know I'll always have more tomorrow). My favorite (don't diss it until you try it) is to put it on a baked yam. The peanut butter overpowers the yam's flavor, making it into a warm, gooey, peanut butter treat that makes it feel like I'm eating forkfuls of peanut butter!

Oooooo!

/runs off to inventory yams/
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    i put powdered peanut butter (just great stuff) in my greek yogurt (4 tbs = 100 calories, add 100 calories of greek yogurt and you're eating pb flavor foreeever with only 200 cals, and its a meal with protein) OR, I add 1 tbs or 2 of real peanut butter into yogurt or oatmeal and put it on the side of my bowl and get a tiny little taste with each bite so that it all lasts longer....

I like p2p too. It tastes so good. Just good stuff!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I lived on peanut butter growing up. If our school would have had a no peanut butter sandwich rule due to allergies I would have been even thinner than I was already growing up because I ate a peanut butter and butter sandwich every single day until sixth grade. That being said, I am not addicted so much to it anymore because my tastes have expanded (I was quite the finicky child). Now I can't keep Nutella in the house- love that stuff. I could eat it straight out of the jar!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    I quit peanut butter cold turkey about 20 years ago when I discovered that it was one of the causes of some pretty serious and very painful digestive problems I was having.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I was convinced my child would have been born a peanut butter baby. But hey, she came out 100% human, so yeah haha! I have a problem with peanut butter, so I stop it with 1 PB & J a day
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I add it to my "nICE cream," too
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've had to move on to powdered peanut butter. I have tried peanut butter in moderation challenges, and even now that I'm BULKING-literally, I'm trying to gain weight, I still can't have it around because it temps me beyond a reasonable surplus.
  • beehappee09
    beehappee09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts... I didn't realize peanut butter could negatively affect my digestive system I'll have to look into it! I also researched a bit and peanut butter contains components that help to moderate your cortisol levels... No wonder I eat it when I'm stressed! Also update... Switched to almond butter (much easier to say no to but still DELICOUS) put every last jar in the basement, and had one tablespoon with breakfast and going strong!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts... I didn't realize peanut butter could negatively affect my digestive system I'll have to look into it! I also researched a bit and peanut butter contains components that help to moderate your cortisol levels... No wonder I eat it when I'm stressed! Also update... Switched to almond butter (much easier to say no to but still DELICOUS) put every last jar in the basement, and had one tablespoon with breakfast and going strong!!!

Congrats!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Me too. I put it on yams. I used to top it with maple sugar. Now I top it with blueberries.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too. I find what works great for me is to just have enough to get a taste. No need to slather it all over toast, just dip the tip of the spoon into the jar and slowly savor the chunky goodness. I do this with foods like ice cream as well take a little bit, savor the flavor, and move on.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I now eat various types of nut butters and measure it out and don't have issues anymore. Have you tried that? Currently I'm loving Trader Joe's Sunflower Nut Butter, I know it has a bit of sugar in it but when I spread it on the toast it feels like more than enough for me. Cashew butter, is another one... Most nut butters I've tried are freshly ground.

Just another option. :O) I think of it as a way to get my protein in on the run... toast on the way out the door... Slice a banana length wise and spread peanut butter on it and make it like a sandwich.

Take a whole banana roll it up in a tortilla spread with peanut butter... mmmm especially tasty when you forget it in your car for the afternoon. lol
  • azgolfgirl
    azgolfgirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat a 1/2 tablespoon daily on a half banana. Satisfies me for hours. I do not like PB2; the mouth feel of peanut butter is important to me.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I love peanut butter! My solution has been to have it once a day (so that way I know I'll always have more tomorrow). My favorite (don't diss it until you try it) is to put it on a baked yam. The peanut butter overpowers the yam's flavor, making it into a warm, gooey, peanut butter treat that makes it feel like I'm eating forkfuls of peanut butter!

Had 1 T PB on yam yesterday - YUM!

• kshama2001
    Options

Glad you found a solution!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Me too. I put it on yams. I used to top it with maple sugar. Now I top it with blueberries.

I've never tried this before. Sounds good!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know so many people loved peanut butter so much. It's one of those things that I like but I can't eat on it's own, it's way to thick for me. I love it on apple slices as a protein/healthy fat snack though so when my apple is gone, I'm done eating peanut butter. Maybe I like it because of the mix of sweet with the apple and salty with the peanut butter so it seems like a dessert. I definitely couldn't eat it right from the spoon, way too thick for me to put in my mouth.