Peanut butter problems

Options
I eat sooooo much peanut butter. It adds an extra 500 calories a day. I'm going to try to avoid it for a week and see what happens (by weaning off of course cause I'm addicted:)

Replies

• evapfneisel
    evapfneisel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter as well! It's not bad for you as long as you don't eat to much ;)
    I am eating natural peanut butter since a couple of months and that works out great for me.
    I can eat a little bit more, but it contains less calories and stuff! Maybe you can look for an healthier version?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is delicious, I find that I snack in chunky way more so I don't keep it in the house. Just like any other food that you have to learn to manage.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you can't moderate your intake of it, I agree that the best solution for the time being is to cut it out completely.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You aren't addicted. You just like it, because it's nice.

Eat it within the confines of your calorie and macronutritional goals. By doing that you are a) Going to be successful in weight loss and b) Doing so by eating things you like.

There's no need for over the top phrases such as 'addicted'. Stop making a big deal out of it and fit it in to your calorie and macronutritional goals.

Problem solved.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It is possible that you will do better with the kind that does not have added forms of sugar or honey.
    Look at the peanut butter's jar for ingredients to see what you have.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i put powdered peanut butter (just great stuff) in my greek yogurt (4 tbs = 100 calories, add 100 calories of greek yogurt and you're eating pb flavor foreeever with only 200 cals, and its a meal with protein) OR, I add 1 tbs or 2 of real peanut butter into yogurt or oatmeal and put it on the side of my bowl and get a tiny little taste with each bite so that it all lasts longer....
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Could you substitute regular peanut butter for PB2 (powdered peanut butter) or a mix of both? I like adding peanut butter to my Greek yogurt, though I currently do a mix of 16g real peanut butter and 6g PB2 (about 2Tbsp equivalents of peanut butter in total). I still get the taste of "real" peanut butter, but I save about 70-75 Calories than if I did all peanut butter (enough for me to add a piece of fruit to my meal or sprinkle 8g of nuts/seeds onto my yogurt). If I substituted all the peanut butter for PB2, that would be about a 140-150 Calorie savings.
  • lizzien68
    lizzien68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too love peanut butter and I buy the most natural I can find. Always with no sugar and preferably no salt, and organic. I put it in the same cupboard as my husbands cakes and biscuits with an egg spoon attached. If "I find myself opening the cupboard" (!!) I dig out an egg spoonful and shut the cupboard and lick it off the spoon slowly -yes I am the sort of person that would make a custard cream last three courses- and I am satisfied.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too but I make myself stop at a tablespoon! where theres a will....
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I heartily second those suggesting PB2; I like it because it's very versatile - you can mix it in its powdered form into shakes, etc., or put a little water in it and make peanut butter to your preferred consistency. I like to make it creamy and spread it onto apple slices for a snack.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whoa that is a lot of peanut butter. If I knew that something I ate was 500 (unneeded) calories per day, I think I would find it extremely easy to just stop eating it most days. Maybe I'd keep it in one day per week. That's a pound's worth of calories if you cut it out every day or .85 pounds over six days.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I eat sooooo much peanut butter. It adds an extra 500 calories a day. I'm going to try to avoid it for a week and see what happens (by weaning off of course cause I'm addicted:)

It is a trigger food for me. I keep my jar in a storage bin in my underground parking space so I have to walk down 2 flights of stairs to get it. If I want some or need some for a recipe, I bring the jar up, then return it to its spot. Sometimes avoidance is the best strategy.
  • Poutinepauline
    Poutinepauline Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Eat it within the confines of your calorie and macronutritional goals. By doing that you are a) Going to be successful in weight loss and b) Doing so by eating things you like.

There's no need for over the top phrases such as 'addicted'. Stop making a big deal out of it and fit it in to your calorie and macronutritional goals.

Problem solved.

I like that. Will Try.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Problem solved.

Agreed. And if it's a trigger food, try a week without it and see how you do. No need to ween yourself off. I promise, not eating peanut butter does not actually cause delerium tremens.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat it to round up my calories to 1200. It's my treat right off the spoon. If I have already had 1200 cals, no pb for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that I love the title of this thread? :mrgreen:
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter would be a trigger food for me, too. I switched to almond butter about two years ago and am less inclined to eat it by the spoonful!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. Every day in the summer I add 32 grams to my breakfast smoothie for my fat macro and its yumminess. I make it fit into my calorie budget. It's something I can easily over eat if I don't use portion control, but it's not a trigger food for me, so I keep it in the house.

If it were a trigger food, I'd try one of the other strategies mentioned on this thread.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter! My solution has been to have it once a day (so that way I know I'll always have more tomorrow). My favorite (don't diss it until you try it) is to put it on a baked yam. The peanut butter overpowers the yam's flavor, making it into a warm, gooey, peanut butter treat that makes it feel like I'm eating forkfuls of peanut butter!

I've also tried pb2 and I'm a fan. It's great for recipes like homemade peanut sauce, but it doesn't really do the melty gooey thing since it doesn't have oil.
  • beehappee09
    beehappee09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE MIXING OF PB2 and peanut butter, that idea is genius and simple!!! I will do this! And it's a trigger food for me. Haha I know I'm not addicted, and I could live without I just want to be comfortable enough to eat it in healthy portions. I'm also upping my fat and protein intake and the cravings may lessen. And yes I know! It's crazy weight gain and not helping me at all. I'll try these wonderful ideas and keep you updated on my peanut butter problems.