Am I the food Scrooge?

Options
2»

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Thank you all from some very thoughtful posts.
  • jwalling1221
    jwalling1221 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Know yourself. If you need to keep on track through the holidays to stay on track after, then do it. Trust your gut. Strength to persivere will always lay within you. Perceived obstacles (like family pressure) are just another muscle to be exercised. Good luck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think to add to
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Quit talking about food. It is boring and annoying to them (in some families it is rude -- seriously).
    Eat what you want or not. It is your body. <3 If they comment on your food, ignore them.
    Good luck. In a few more days Christmas will be over and you can get back to the routines you like.

is this: If they comment on your food, and ignoring them doesn't work, point out to them gently that they asked you to stop talking about your food choices, and it would be helpful if they would do the same.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would say eat what you want, but you don't have to talk about it. I know that it bothers me personally when people spend a meal talking about food and calories and exercise and how healthy or not it is and etc. It really ruins my enjoyment of the food. Even if you don't sound unhappy when you talk about it, it can be aggravating to listen to someone keep talking about it.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone. One thing that is particularly obnoxious is when someone is complaining about what they can't eat while you are eating it, lol. I know how normal it is to express that, because I have to skip a lot of carbs due to blood sugar problems, so I'm often wishing I could eat what other folks are eating. But they don't need to hear that, because it gets awkward at the very least.

The line about 'ending up like you' could probably be phrased better, too! I'd just use the tips folks have given to come up with nice, sensitive boundaries regarding food choices all around, I think. Good luck!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest problem here is your husband's irrational idea that joy in life is somehow inextricably tied to food.

Yep

I bet these people also say they care about the OP, you're so important to us. Just don't talk about anything that actually interests you because it's boring and annoying to us. Classy
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Oh JaneiR36, don't ruin a nice conversation in this thread. Everyone's been nice and is getting along fine,...then, bam...
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    seems like you're having a bad night
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No I was talking about the OP's family, and people in general who claim to care about others but get irritated hearing about what actually interests them.

That's puzzling to me.

If expressing said puzzlement means I'm having a bad night, well. I won't make any assumptions just yet :)