5'10" and up ladies!

Options

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" also and at last weight check, I was 224. Not my lowest or my highest. I am wearing size 12 for the most part right now, a couple of size 10 jeans (but they are stretchy). I stopped telling people my weight, they never believe me anyway.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you're saying, as I'm 5'10 and have pretty much always worn UK size 14/US 10 clothes. Was nudging up more often into UK16/US12 by the time I started on MFP, when I weighed 196/14 stone, now in the 170-173 range, ideally hoping to lose 7-10 more "fluff" but not going to sweat it too much. My build is naturally quite "thick" and my bone density is a little higher than average, plus any extra weight tends to distribute quite evenly rather than all pile on in one noticable place like my belly or bum, so all of this means that people wouldn't guess I'm as heavy as I was/am.

One time when I went skiing, the man in the ski hire shop didn't believe me when I told him what I thought I weighed (at the time I didn't own scales and hadn't weighed myself for years so I could only guesstimate), and he adjusted my skis as if I were a good 10lbs lighter. Although it was quite flattering, I had loads of problems with my skis that holiday - on previous ski holidays the hire shop made customers stand on scales and adjusted your skis accordingly, and I never had problems those times when I was weighed properly...
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and was recently weighed at the hospital by a nurse, prior to my regular checkup.

So this nurse... 4ft nothing, Scottish and solid may I add... she stares up at me after the scale spits out a reading. She has the oddest look on her face, like she's just caught a whiff of some faecal matter on her shoe.

She looks at me and says : "You're twelve stone." The 'stone' part has particular emphasis. She lingers on it more than the other words for some reason, then stares at me as if waiting for an answer.

I leave it a few moments to see if she qualifies her reaction in some way. She doesn't.

"Was that a question?" I ask.
    "Well no dear, but that's quite a lot!" she gasps.
    I step off the scale and move to the nearby chair, hiding the smirk on my face. "Yes you're right. Maybe you should calculate my BMI for me."
    It takes a moment but she starts nodding. "Yes, yes I'll do that. Just a moment dear."

Several minutes pass as she sits next to me and calculates and recalculates my BMI.
    She finally breaks the silence with "Well it says you have a 23 BMI..." She looks noticeably confused.
    I try not to smile too much "Oh great, so my weight is fine for my height then?"
    She visibly struggles to answer "Well technically yes but..."
    "But what?"
    "Well it's very heavy dear, you're almost a stone heavier than last year."
    "Yes but you just said my BMI is fine," I insist. At this point she sits upright in her chair. I think even my sitting height bothers this woman. I can understand why, let's just say my height for a woman is about as common in Scotland as a sandwich without mayonnaise. Sitting upright seems to give her back her authoritative voice.
    "Well yes, but I think you should talk about it with the doctor. Twelve stone is very heavy', she insists.

I left it at that. This is possibly the 8th time I've had this conversation with the "wee Nurses of Edinburgh." It really does catch them by surprise to encounter an outwardly healthy person who is almost 5 stone heavier than they are. They don't know what to do with it lol. The doctor never cares.

It's always a source of entertainment and makes a trip to the hospital less dull :)

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    mravena wrote: »
    I weigh sooooo much more than I look like I weigh. Tell me I'm not alone here? I'm 5'10" and 225 but wear size 10 clothes. Where is the weight???

yup my life story.. i'm 5'10" and currently 196lbs wearing US size 10/12 (depending on the brand).
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    I'm 6'2" and was recently weighed at the hospital by a nurse, prior to my regular checkup.

So this nurse... 4ft nothing, Scottish and solid may I add... she stares up at me after the scale spits out a reading. She has the oddest look on her face, like she's just caught a whiff of some faecal matter on her shoe.

She looks at me and says : "You're twelve stone." The 'stone' part has particular emphasis. She lingers on it more than the other words for some reason, then stares at me as if waiting for an answer.

I leave it a few moments to see if she qualifies her reaction in some way. She doesn't.

"Was that a question?" I ask.
    "Well no dear, but that's quite a lot!" she gasps.
    I step off the scale and move to the nearby chair, hiding the smirk on my face. "Yes you're right. Maybe you should calculate my BMI for me."
    It takes a moment but she starts nodding. "Yes, yes I'll do that. Just a moment dear."

Several minutes pass as she sits next to me and calculates and recalculates my BMI.
    She finally breaks the silence with "Well it says you have a 23 BMI..." She looks noticeably confused.
    I try not to smile too much "Oh great, so my weight is fine for my height then?"
    She visibly struggles to answer "Well technically yes but..."
    "But what?"
    "Well it's very heavy dear, you're almost a stone heavier than last year."
    "Yes but you just said my BMI is fine," I insist. At this point she sits upright in her chair. I think even my sitting height bothers this woman. I can understand why, let's just say my height for a woman is about as common in Scotland as a sandwich without mayonnaise. Sitting upright seems to give her back her authoritative voice.
    "Well yes, but I think you should talk about it with the doctor. Twelve stone is very heavy', she insists.

I left it at that. This is possibly the 8th time I've had this conversation with the "wee Nurses of Edinburgh." It really does catch them by surprise to encounter an outwardly healthy person who is almost 5 stone heavier than they are. They don't know what to do with it lol. The doctor never cares.

It's always a source of entertainment and makes a trip to the hospital less dull :)

But 12 stone is only 168lbs. Most people at 6'2 would die for 168lbs. But I know what you mean. I grew up in the States, but my grandparents lived in Cheshire, UK. I was always a "tall one", I was 5'9 by the age of 12 (5'11 currently). I got some interesting looks. I was also on the "chubby" side, especially before growth spurts and I know my grandmother/grandfather were always concerned with how much I ate. I would have loved to have seen the nurse's face when you walked in. LOL
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You said that you just had a baby, right? Are you breastfeeding? Maybe your increase breast size in addition to water retention is contributing to your weight. I'm 5'7 and was around 200 pounds postpartum and was wearing a size 12, so I guess it's possible.
  • BunnyBomb
    Options
    But 12 stone is only 168lbs. Most people at 6'2 would die for 168lbs. But I know what you mean. I grew up in the States, but my grandparents lived in Cheshire, UK. I was always a "tall one", I was 5'9 by the age of 12 (5'11 currently). I got some interesting looks. I was also on the "chubby" side, especially before growth spurts and I know my grandmother/grandfather were always concerned with how much I ate. I would have loved to have seen the nurse's face when you walked in. LOL
    lol exactly! It's just funny watching people comprehend how much extra you weigh and eat when you're more than a head and shoulders taller.

To the OP, you may want to invest in a Withings scale to work out what is really going on. I've invested in one recently and found the measurements really helpful. It gives more than BMI, you get body fat %, CO2 content, temperature..etc. Lots of useful stuff to give you a better overall picture. Not to sound like this somehow replaces medical advice, as of course it doesn't, but I find sometimes it's useful to see more than one measure as a point of reference.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I'm 5'10". At 225 pounds, I'm a solid US 14. I am not there at the moment, but I know this from the past. I'm getting closer!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I weigh sooooo much more than I look like I weigh. Tell me I'm not alone here? I'm 5'10" and 225 but wear size 10 clothes. Where is the weight???

Haha! I'm 5'11, solid with lean muscle and curves. Brickhouse status. lol. At 225 I was wearing size 12. I'm 175 now wearing size 8 dresses and 10 pants (butt and thighs).
  • saucesofit
    saucesofit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and a competitive bodybuilder. At my heaviest I was around 175 and wore a size 8 (though a 10 probably would have been better in some things).

Being tall people never (did or still) guess my weight with accuracy; we just carry weight differently. Now, with a lot more muscle, my weight fluctuates between 160 in my offseason (size 4-6) and the low 140s for a national level show (size 2) - and people still guess crazy low! They just don't account for height at all.

I think my body is most "comfortable" for me to exist in around the 150 mark. With the amount of muscle I carry 140 is too lean of a look for everyday living; when I am done competing one day I won't want to achieve that level of leanness again.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm a little over 5'10", currently 209 pounds and I wear size 8 (US) jeans.

In my case it is muscle/density, being large framed AND the fact that my torso is about twice as long as average. I wear tall shirts and short or petite pants.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm a little over 5'10", currently 209 pounds and I wear size 8 (US) jeans.

In my case it is muscle/density, being large framed AND the fact that my torso is about twice as long as average. I wear tall shirts and short or petite pants.

being "large framed" (which is a topic of debate in itself) and having a long torso doesn't mean you're going to weigh more than you ought to.. sounds like an out IMO
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch away from being as cool as you girls but I can relate! I'm 5'9" and 150 pounds. And I absolutely hate the BMI chart for tall women. I think what the BMI chart considers overweight for tall women is absolutely incorrect. They should add a good 5 - 15 pounds.
  • melindabloom1965
    Options
    I have never weighed 240 lbs in my life! I am 5'10 and 50 years old. I need help with the best plan for me. Anyone getting great results?
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 1 female and currently 222-aiming for 200. According to a recent body composition assessment, everything that isn't fat weighs just over 150. So my goal would puy me around 25% body far. I am somewhat self-conscious of my weight- even at my skinnier at 17, I was still 170! However, it's a good thing because it generally means we can eat more :smile:
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    BMI is overrated I think. Aim to achieve a weight you can retain while still enjoying life then you're much more likely to maintain.
  • mshellerkitty
    mshellerkitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Exact same thing with me, im 180 people guess me to be 150 ish
  • TraceyKakes
    TraceyKakes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hahaha this sums up my life. I am 5'10 and I currently weigh 200lbs and fit a size 10-12 depending on the store. At my lowest I was 160 and people thought I was sick/anorexic. I've never met someone who is in the same boat. I'm gonna send you a friend request!
  • BunnyBomb
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Now ladies, here is some grade A bollocks...

Now I have no interest in modelling any more, I did it when I was younger but found far better things to do with my time. Even so, I was curious as to what the industry said about your standard "tall gal" in terms of expected weight ranges. Now I was expecting that somehow today's industry guidance would be different for a 6ft model compared to days past, now that the media is clamping down on 'unhealthy' body images...

Well...

It turns out that a Modelling Advice website suggests that the upward range of an Editorial Model at 6 feet tall should be 128lbs! That's around 17.5 BMI give or take, depending which calculator you use, a whole 10 points below the recommended minimum. This isn't the only website I found saying that this is their 'guide' range for models.

Is this utterly disgusting or what?

Anyhoo... I then found a website that had a far better view of what an ideal weight is, taking into account both age and height.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 16 (US size 14) and I weight 240lbs and have always been heavier than I look :)