Counting Calories as an Eating Disorder?

Options
1235»

Replies

• srwoodson999
    srwoodson999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have also been accused of having an eating disorder because I track my calories and macros. I respond by comparing it to a bank account: you need to know how much you are depositing and withdrawing, right? It is not good to just *hope* that the deposits and the withdrawals cancel each other out...

I also point out that I am a very petite person, and thus there is not a big margin for error. 5 lbs. gain or loss on me is very, very noticeable. Larger people obviously have more margin for error; I have a friend who is 5'9" and she can gain 15 lbs. without it really affecting how she looks or how her clothes fit. But a 5 lb gain on me and I would have to buy all new jeans.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Context matters and, even if you provided enough information, it would be difficult for anyone on here (even if actually qualified) to diagnose you over the internet. Put another way, washing your hands often is simply good hygiene but do it enough and someone might suggest you have OCD. Professional bodybuilders often count calories and macros, and then again professional bodybuilding is full of people with eating disorders. If you're really concerned then see a shrink.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's much more detailed than I would ever go into, but it seems to work well for you, so yay! ^_^ Counting calories might could lead to an eating disorder, but if you're healthy and getting the nutrients you need, and since you exercise, you're keeping in shape, I wouldn't say you have one. I count calories too, though it's more guesstimate than it used to be, and I'll pull out my phone to log in a restaurant. I don't plan my meals ahead, though, I'm rather too lazy for that! XD
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nah, if anything, it's a tool to maintain order with regards to your eating habits and health when used prudently.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have an eating disorder. I get that a lot because I am not overweight. I am getting close to the overweight line, so I'm trying to back to the size I was when I liked the way I looked and never even thought about scales. It's not easy when your being critized by well meaning friends.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    counting calories in and of itself does not mean eating disorder. compulsion, guilt, anxiety, etc can be indicative of a disorder
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I was eating disordered as a young woman (5'9", 95lb, did not ever try to go lower just could not face the triple digits) and for me the line is drawn at "how do I FEEL about food? How do I feel about my body?" Back then, I remember never putting anything in my mouth without feeling bad about it, food would make me fat. I had dread around eating, controlled my weight tightly by never feeling OK about eating anything. Ever. I wasn't focused on nutrition at all. Diet coke all day? Fine, no calories.

Now I try to stay north of 125 and south of 135 pounds, that has kept me healthy for years. I recently hit the 135 and want to go down to 130; so I am dieting but there is a stark difference in how eating feels - I am more careful to eat nourishing foods, I want nutrition, I want my body to be well fed and function well. A couple years back I got stressed and dropped below the 125, so went on a diet to gain weight, instead of spiraling down lower and lower just because I could. I am not really worried that I'll fall into anorexia because my life is so different now and because my relationship with my body is much better. I do sometimes have to track calories to gain or lose, probably because I broke my natural response to hunger. I am not going to ever be able to just not pay attention, because that's not the way I'm wired, but I can use the attention to a positive end.

I think some people can be kind of obsessive about diet and be healthier for it, and that isn't disordered eating. When it starts to impact your life, your psyche, or your body in a negative way, it is disordered. When you panic if you go over your calories, that's disordered.