How do you log when you don't know the portions?

Options
...or the name of the food that you're eating?

There are times when I have to eat outside or at my company's canteen and I have no idea what I am eating (Sometimes, they'll throw in food from other cultures.) or how much the portion is.

So, when facing this kind of situation, what do you do?

Replies

• rteesdale02
    rteesdale02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In a case like this I'd overestimate based o n similar foods. My whole philosophy is to move on to the next day.
  • ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In a case like this I'd overestimate based o n similar foods. My whole philosophy is to move on to the next day.

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eyeball it. I'm better at it now after weighing everything for 3 years. Then I use a random entry in the database (on the higher calorie side).
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    In a case like this I use the SWAG method (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)

I start with a portion the size of my fist @ 200 calories. If it tastes sweet I up that to 250. If it tastes fatty or oily I up it to 300. Accurate? Of course not but I figure it's better than nothing.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ongoingwhy wrote: »
    ...when facing this kind of situation, what do you do?

Guess.

One inaccurate diary entry will NOT make or break attaining the ultimate goal.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can always ask someone who works in the kitchen for the name of what you're eating (but I'm surprised that foods aren't labeled somehow to begin with).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    As above, because of all the people who have so many specific dietary requirements many placed, even a work place will often give details of what they are providing. Their portions may seem haphazard to you but for quantity control, the number of people they expect that meal to feed, they should be able to give you a reasonable approximation of the calories per plate. Remember all pre prepared and packaged meals you may buy have a level of fluctuation to them too because it it impossible to replicate each meal to the perfect number.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Learn how to estimate portion size. Google "serving size chart" for hundreds of image results to help you with this. It gets easier after you do it several times.
  • ongoingwhy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I eyeball it. I'm better at it now after weighing everything for 3 years. Then I use a random entry in the database (on the higher calorie side).

Did you use a portable scale? I am thinking of getting one for eating outside.
    257_Lag wrote: »
    In a case like this I use the SWAG method (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)

I start with a portion the size of my fist @ 200 calories. If it tastes sweet I up that to 250. If it tastes fatty or oily I up it to 300. Accurate? Of course not but I figure it's better than nothing.

:D
    I take pictures of my plate and try to reconstruct what I'm seeing if possible. If you have no idea because it's an ethnic dish, you just guesstimate as best you can. Maybe find a restaurant entry that is similar. It does get easier to estimate the portion sizes the longer you've been doing it, but the entry you use will never be 100% accurate if someone else made the food.

:o Hmm, I may take your advice and start using the restaurant entries. Previously, I avoided them entirely since, as you mentioned, the calorie would be much different when someone else made the food. However, as you also said, an estimation would be the best in such cases where I can't properly log the food.
    ...when facing this kind of situation, what do you do?

Guess.

One inaccurate diary entry will NOT make or break attaining the ultimate goal.

That's true but doesn't it annoy you when you can't properly note down the portions/calories?
    64crayons wrote: »
    You can always ask someone who works in the kitchen for the name of what you're eating (but I'm surprised that foods aren't labeled somehow to begin with).
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    As above, because of all the people who have so many specific dietary requirements many placed, even a work place will often give details of what they are providing. Their portions may seem haphazard to you but for quantity control, the number of people they expect that meal to feed, they should be able to give you a reasonable approximation of the calories per plate. Remember all pre prepared and packaged meals you may buy have a level of fluctuation to them too because it it impossible to replicate each meal to the perfect number.

Everyone is served the same food and the food is actually cooked elsewhere. The kitchen's purpose is to warm up the food before serving it to us. So, yeah, even the servers may not know the actual names for the food.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Learn how to estimate portion size. Google "serving size chart" for hundreds of image results to help you with this. It gets easier after you do it several times.

:open_mouth: This is very useful. Thank you.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options

Everyone is served the same food and the food is actually cooked elsewhere. The kitchen's purpose is to warm up the food before serving it to us. So, yeah, even the servers may not know the actual names for the food.

Do you mean this literally? Every single person who goes to the canteen for a meal is served exactly the same thing, and nobody at all knows what they're serving/eating? Nobody knows what it's called? And you don't recognize any of the foods yourself?

That sounds rather scary. If that was my situation, I'd pack lunch from home.
  • ongoingwhy
    Options

Do you mean this literally? Every single person who goes to the canteen for a meal is served exactly the same thing, and nobody at all knows what they're serving/eating? Nobody knows what it's called? And you don't recognize any of the foods yourself?

That sounds rather scary. If that was my situation, I'd pack lunch from home.

Well, yeah. You can ask for different portions but the dishes are the same. Most of the time, you would know what dish it is but once in a while, they'll serve ethnic food(like Indian cuisine) or some food made by the meal providers.

That's exactly what some of my colleagues do. They'll just bring their own food when we need to eat at the canteen. I usually just eat there when I have to, since it's free.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Somebody knows what the food is. You could ask the person who orders the food for the contact info of the food provider, and they should have nutrition info, but minimally the name of the dish. Tell the person who orders the food that people aren't eating it because they don't know what it is, and to please have someone label the food.

I have emailed several companies for nutrition info and they have always been happy to provide it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I always try and over estimate.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Portable scale!!!? Really? Calorie counting can't be that serious
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I agree after time you just learn to guestamate very well

• ongoingwhy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Somebody knows what the food is. You could ask the person who orders the food for the contact info of the food provider, and they should have nutrition info, but minimally the name of the dish. Tell the person who orders the food that people aren't eating it because they don't know what it is, and to please have someone label the food.

I have emailed several companies for nutrition info and they have always been happy to provide it.

Thank you for the suggestion. :) I'll give it a shot when I need to have my meals there.

I am quite obsessed about things like this. :s Either I do it as best as I can or I don't do it. :#
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options

I am quite obsessed about things like this. :s Either I do it as best as I can or I don't do it. :#

Think about it. Is it better to guesstimate or is it better to just not pay attention at all? Which method got you to where you are today?
  • revzillia
    revzillia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy too not knowing what's in something. I usually try picking it apart ,and add more calories on top of that
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just do my best and try to find a comparable mfp entry erring on the higher calorie entries.

I draw the line at taking portable food scales everywhere I go. I'm sure my husband would get up and leave if I whipped out a scale and started weighing my meal at a restaurant. Talk about sucking the joy out of going out to eat :disappointed:
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Only eat what you know and can log. Leave all else alone