How do you log when you don't know the portions?

Options
2»

Replies

• NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I belong to a group that has monthly pot luck suppers with different spices and cuisines. This is what I have been doing. I keep an idea of the quantity I am taking (portion) and ask someone what it is called. Even the lunch ladies will know the general name, but if not, you can recognize that something is a stew, or breaded and fried and about how much gravy they put on top of the meat and the potatoes.

When you get home, look for a recipe for something similar. Curry chicken, pot roast mostaccioli with meat sauce and cheese on top, etc. Cut and paste the recipe into the Recipes section under Food tab. You will need to set number of portions for the recipe and that can take some guess work. You can just save it or you can log and save and you will have a pretty close estimation of calorie count.

Unless you are , like me at the moment, trying to figure Chinese take out egg foo yung, but by and large I get a pretty good estimate. And like everyone else says, round up the calories to be safe.
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just remembered something that may help.
    Sodexo is a very large industrial catering company.They have downloaded their foods through , I think, a Canadian university or food service- I see their name pop up when I am searching for prepared foods occasionally. If you are stumped, try entering , for example, Chicken curry sodexo and you will probably get the commercial recipe and portion size
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    NotPhyllis wrote: »
    I just remembered something that may help.
    Sodexo is a very large industrial catering company.They have downloaded their foods through , I think, a Canadian university or food service- I see their name pop up when I am searching for prepared foods occasionally. If you are stumped, try entering , for example, Chicken curry sodexo and you will probably get the commercial recipe and portion size

Very smart idea!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    In a case like this I use the SWAG method (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)

I start with a portion the size of my fist @ 200 calories. If it tastes sweet I up that to 250. If it tastes fatty or oily I up it to 300. Accurate? Of course not but I figure it's better than nothing.

Great way to guesstimate!