Waist training

Options
I was looking into waist training to aid with weight loss and found lots of mixed reviews. Have any of yours tried it and what did you think?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Never heard of waist training
  • ilovemycoffee19
    ilovemycoffee19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I didn't try so I can't tell, but only working out and proper nutrition will be more than enough for anything!
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Never heard of waist training

It's wearing a corset / tightlacing.

Basically the only way it does stuff for weight loss that's close to being verified (that I can find) is that it makes you a bit hotter, causing you to sweat more.
  • ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think they're just a gimmicky tool that doesn't work.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Spot training does not work, it will only help to remove more liquid from your body.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload focusing on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press etc engage the core and many other muscles in order to give tighter, tauter muscles and a more shapely physique as long as your body fat is low enough

Hundreds of abdominal specific exercises are far less effective

Wearing a "waist trainer" may reduce the amount you can eat by compressing your internal organs and making it uncomfortable ..I suppose if you wear it long enough it's a way to achieve a calorie defecit. They may also cause you to lose water weight but drink or eat something and that's gone

Spanx or similar can give you shape for an occasion

Proper corsetting...custom made to size whale boned corsets getting smaller and tighter over years and worn consistently can over time warp the natural body
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wear a waist trainer only while excersising.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Don't they squish your insides all up? Wouldn't that be .... kind of bad?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »
    I wear a waist trainer only while excersising.

Which unfortunately could be worse than pointless as it may impact on your core engagement and so the benefit of the exercise
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Yes, it squeezes your inside organs. Can even impair getting enough oxygen to the lungs (vital function for health). You were kidding, right?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Only a calorie deficit can aid in weight loss. A waist trainer (AKA corset) is not a calorie deficit. So... there's your answer.

IMO, I think they look stupid.
    kardashian-e-765x510.png

This doesn't look attractive... at all. Not to mention the controversy surrounding them about organ damage/squishing/etc.
  • Kaylee6349
    Kaylee6349 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm definitely not going to get one now!
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I'm definitely not going to get one now!

Yay another one rejects the dark side ;)
  • Kaylee6349
    Kaylee6349 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload focusing on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press etc engage the core and many other muscles in order to give tighter, tauter muscles and a more shapely physique as long as your body fat is low enough

I dance and I lift (not that heavy) weights. Any advice on how to get a more defined waist and hips it seems to be my problem area?

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Corsets in general can be fun to play around with for things like cosplay, dressing up. etc. They DO squish your insides so they should not be worn on a regular basis. After wearing one, most show a very temporary reduction in waist measurement because everything was squished. This goes away as soon as your insides and skin relax back to their normal position (can take a couple of hours). Exercising in them is counter-productive, you can actually weaken your core muscles because the muscles are being supported by an external device, rather than actually having to work.
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't wear one like those girls. Mines mostly for back support. My lower back is shot & have nerve damage from having spinals. Nothing tight or squishing organs!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I like corsets and waist cinchers for the bedroom or as occasional shapewear but not for weight loss. Ladies back in the day would also end up with a specific shape after years that would not be considered desirable now. They would have small waists but also soft, pooched out lower bellies with weak muscles.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    At best waist training has no long term benefit.

At worst, waist training can cause long term harm to your internal organs.

In summary, there is virtually no benefit to waist training and a large risk of harm. It is only practiced by vain, stupid people.
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I dance and I lift (not that heavy) weights. Any advice on how to get a more defined waist and hips it seems to be my problem area?

No sure if you do front squats, but added to your leg day your waist line tends to trim out best. Usually 4 sets is best. Moderate weight for you. Nutrition will always be key, with mild cardio from time to time. I never go past 30 mins cardio, and use resistance at lvl 12. Usually keeping pace on an elliptical between 45-50.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Its a gimmick. Don't even bother