Waist training

Options

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload focusing on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press etc engage the core and many other muscles in order to give tighter, tauter muscles and a more shapely physique as long as your body fat is low enough

I dance and I lift (not that heavy) weights. Any advice on how to get a more defined waist and hips it seems to be my problem area?

No sure if you do front squats, but added to your leg day your waist line tends to trim out best. Usually 4 sets is best. Moderate weight for you. Nutrition will always be key, with mild cardio from time to time. I never go past 30 mins cardio, and use resistance at lvl 12. Usually keeping pace on an elliptical between 45-50.

This really makes no sense and has no science behind it. Why 4 sets? Front squats are a quad dominant exercise, they will help with core to a good extent, but not specifically or really help "trim"... whatever that really means. This might work for you, but won't for everyone.

OP. You can't spot reduce fat. It will come off where it's genetically predisposed to do so. To lower fat in one area, you have to lower fat in all areas.

As far as firming up the muscles underneath, you can do that with any kind of exercise that targets that area. This will not reduce fat in that area specifically, but will strengthen the muscles allowing what is there to be firmer and more eye appealing as you lower your overall body fat.

You can check out Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. He's a trainer well known for helping women achieve the curvy shape they desire through effective lifting methods. http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642

Give that a look and see if it'll help.

You can also go to Bodybuilding.com and search through their exercise programs until you find one that you like. Just stay away from the forums or shops... the forums are generally full on nonsense and the shops are a money sink for no reason... but the workouts are great.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload focusing on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press etc engage the core and many other muscles in order to give tighter, tauter muscles and a more shapely physique as long as your body fat is low enough

I dance and I lift (not that heavy) weights. Any advice on how to get a more defined waist and hips it seems to be my problem area?

No sure if you do front squats, but added to your leg day your waist line tends to trim out best. Usually 4 sets is best. Moderate weight for you. Nutrition will always be key, with mild cardio from time to time. I never go past 30 mins cardio, and use resistance at lvl 12. Usually keeping pace on an elliptical between 45-50.

Oddly specific advice is...well...odd

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Ummm....errrrr.... What the? :bigsmile:

I'm going to to leave the oddly specific front squat advice ...because ...what?

However the "moderate weight for you" line ...really holding my snark back on that one

:bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »
    I wear a waist trainer only while excersising.
    You'll sweat more, but it doesn't reduce fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Definition comes from lower body fat %. Realize that genetics plays a lot into this and when some try to lose overall body fat, "desired" areas that hold body fat in higher percentages reduce too (breast, butts on females).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

WUT?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You want proof, watch for my results. My deadline is March,2016. Im going to post all photos of my entire process.
    I just started on 12/21. Im 185, and guessing around 20-22% body fat at the moment. Goal weight is between 175-185 at 10% or less. I haven't been measured to know exactly what im at now. Lets see how I pan out.

Logical advice you say? Advice is providing guidance or recommendations. Practice what you preach...

Rewind the tape, you quoted me and ran your mouth.
    Math is your friend here. If you're 185 and even 20% body fat (148lbs lean mass), to RETAIN your lean mass through a cut (not likely even with PED's) and be 10%, your weight would end up being 164lbs. If you're trying to be 175-185lbs and 10%, you'd need a lean mass of 166lbs which means you'd have to GAIN muscle. And on a deficit, it's unlikely to gain about 20lbs of lean muscle in less than a year.
    Not broscience here, just actual physiology and math.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You want proof, watch for my results. My deadline is March,2016. Im going to post all photos of my entire process.
    I just started on 12/21. Im 185, and guessing around 20-22% body fat at the moment. Goal weight is between 175-185 at 10% or less. I haven't been measured to know exactly what im at now. Lets see how I pan out.

Logical advice you say? Advice is providing guidance or recommendations. Practice what you preach...

Math is your friend here. If you're 185 and even 20% body fat (148lbs lean mass), to RETAIN your lean mass through a cut (not likely even with PED's) and be 10%, your weight would end up being 164lbs. If you're trying to be 175-185lbs and 10%, you'd need a lean mass of 166lbs which means you'd have to GAIN muscle. And on a deficit, it's unlikely to gain about 20lbs of lean muscle in less than a year.
    Not broscience here, just actual physiology and math.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's just my goal. I understand i will come up short. Gaining is no problem. Thanks for the heads up.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

You're guessing at your body fat %? How are you going to know what progress was actually made if you aren't going to get accurate with your measurements? Especially seeing as you have a body fat% goal.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Says the guy in his workplace bathroom taking a selfie with a pink phone!! LOL!! Dude are you serious haha

Get outta here George Burns

That's Mr. Burns to you sonny.

I'm sorry, @juggernaut1974, here's where my mind went:

eplvd60yasnz.jpg

Yeah...but look how lean and fit he is.

Clearly he front squats exactly 4 sets and ellipticals on level 12

I don't have an elliptical. Clearly doomed to be fat forever :frowning:

OP, I'm glad you have maintained an open mind and have decided against this. Calorie deficit to drop any fat. Exercise for body shape. You can do this without any fads.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Says the guy in his workplace bathroom taking a selfie with a pink phone!! LOL!! Dude are you serious haha

eplvd60yasnz.jpg

Bugger I only back squat 3 sets, but at 70kg and my elliptical is set to level 17 ...is I gunna be fat?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

eplvd60yasnz.jpg

Bugger I only back squat 3 sets, but at 70kg and my elliptical is set to level 17 ...is I gunna be fat?

jpsbtblfn803.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

eplvd60yasnz.jpg

PROB LEE...and you have a deer in your pool.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

eplvd60yasnz.jpg

All for naught my friend...sorry to say

(and Gracie says "Hi" BTW)
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

You're guessing at your body fat %? How are you going to know what progress was actually made if you aren't going to get accurate with your measurements? Especially seeing as you have a body fat% goal.

Haven't had time to get it done. Its Christmas. Im going to have it done next week, then every month for progression tracking.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The only thing traditional waist training does is move your bottom ribs inward and push your internal organs up or down to create an hourglass shape. If you go too extreme (like the people with something like 9in waists or something ridiculous like that) you'll end up with medical problems, if you train like Dita von Teese does or some other women who waist train, it still moves things but from an MRI I've seen, moderate training doesn't do any damage.

One corseter mentioned that waist training helped with her weight loss because she felt full faster since she had less room, though. Another thing to understand is that if you do waist training for aesthetic reasons, as soon as you stop your body will shift back to how it genetically should be.
  • CrazyHarmonee
    CrazyHarmonee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about weight loss... Because I've been wearing a waist trainer at night for years and have steadily been gaining weight.

But I did find that it helps tremendously with my back pain. And I don't have a teeny tiny waist, but I've never stopped getting compliments on my "hourglass figure", even at my largest weight.

I use one from here: http://www.angelcurves.com/collections/all?gclid=COi9ysSw9ckCFYVbfgodg1oCtA
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have one, but I took out all the boning. Mine doesn't just go around the waist, but is rather like a very firm vest made of wetsuit material. I wear it occasionally if my back and shoulders are very tired - as kind of a support device. I am very large-chested, and it has had a pretty terrible effect on my shoulders slumping and given me bad posture over the years. I find if I wear the "waist trainer" for a couple hours, it brings me a lot of relief. When I put it on, I see immediate improvement in my posture. But I wouldn't wear it for more than a couple of hours at a time - I'm not interested in permanently squishing my internal organs around!

This is what mine looks like (again, imagine without any boning):
    http://perfectmysilhouette.net/image/cache/data/blue_20vest_original-500x500.jpg
  • dodomero
    dodomero Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can say abs workout... It's the same

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I actually had a plastic surgeon suggest Spanx, which I guess could be considered a type of waist training, to provide support to the stomach and man boobs to reduce the stretching of skin and assist with the skin shrinking as weight loss occurs. Any opinion on this?