Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    Never heard of waist training

It's wearing a corset / tightlacing.

Basically the only way it does stuff for weight loss that's close to being verified (that I can find) is that it makes you a bit hotter, causing you to sweat more.

Pretty much junk. Diet and a mix of cardio and resistance training will get you there.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I actually had a plastic surgeon suggest Spanx, which I guess could be considered a type of waist training, to provide support to the stomach and man boobs to reduce the stretching of skin and assist with the skin shrinking as weight loss occurs. Any opinion on this?

I also had a surgeon suggest spanx. But not for the reasons they are speaking of in this thread. They are talking about waist training , the garmet binds your waist and they believe they will magically develop a smaller waist . its not even worth getting into, because its asinine to believe that.
    My surgeon suggested spanx for support. I had an emergency csection and the spanx helped support my stomach while it was healing.
    So its very different .
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Does it work for weight loss? No, unless having your innards squished keeps you from eating.

Is it just fun? Yes, it can be. Many moons ago when the earth was flat and dinosaurs roamed the earth, I had a very nicely trained waist. Without the corset, it wasn't actually much smaller... an inch at best. My stuff just smooshed around really well.

The notion that it can mess with your insides can be true, but generally is not with a properly fitted garment. Unless you train to a ridiculous size, it's not much more constrictive than a good Spanx. It will, however, support your torso, so you'll need to focus particularly hard on core strengthening. If your corset is doing the work, your body is not.

Also, if you waist train for real, you'll need to be fitted for one, not buy one off the shelf. Off the shelf, they're made poorly (cheap materials can cause painful sores) and they won't actually fit your body. It'll be too long/short or not have the proper hip spring for your current size to your goal size ratio.

If you want to do this for fun, you can PM me for some quality corset makers. Just be prepared to spend $200-350 for each size of waist trainer and $500+ for a corset. Because custom made ain't cheap.
  • Bartmg85
    Bartmg85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but I would love to try it
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Bartmg85 wrote: »

Well, follow some of the links and corset up!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Bartmg85 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

The notion that it can mess with your insides can be true, but generally is not with a properly fitted garment. Unless you train to a ridiculous size, it's not much more constrictive than a good Spanx. It will, however, support your torso, so you'll need to focus particularly hard on core strengthening. If your corset is doing the work, your body is not.

This is key. I've seen so many people lose core muscle strength because of similar things. Most simply got older and woke up with back pain. So they got a lumbar support, which isn't much different than a waist trainer. Then they lived in that thing for a month waiting to get a doctors appointment and lost a great deal muscle strength.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hip/waist ratio is pretty much genetically determined... You can build strong rounded glutes in back but the pelvis width is bone based.
    Said the woman with boyishly slim hips at all weights. Even rail thin my waist was never smaller than about 24' and when I got that small my hips were about 33', most of it in back, dance muscle... sorry to be the bearer of sad news.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I made a topic about this a few months ago and people's responses scared me away from trying it. After looking in to it more there isn't any evidence on whether it is harmful or not, just a lot of debate. If you want a smaller waist exercise and healthy eating can only do so much and adding in a safe waist training routine will help you getting the figure you want.

However if your goal is only to lose weight I would stick with old fashioned diet and exercise, waist training constricts your stomach so you might experience a smaller appetite and intake less but ultimately its not going to make a great difference in weight loss as its main goal is to cinch the waist.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I made a topic about this a few months ago and people's responses scared me away from trying it. After looking in to it more there isn't any evidence on whether it is harmful or not, just a lot of debate. If you want a smaller waist exercise and healthy eating can only do so much and adding in a safe waist training routine will help you getting the figure you want.

However if your goal is only to lose weight I would stick with old fashioned diet and exercise, waist training constricts your stomach so you might experience a smaller appetite and intake less but ultimately its not going to make a great difference in weight loss as its main goal is to cinch the waist.

There really isn't a "safe waist training routine" unless you are talking body recomposition with strength training and not the corset.

Wearing a corset can be fashionable, but it isn't going to train your waist. Everything will go back to how it is after you take it off and doing it long term will lead to those issues you heard about.
  • kalynbreann357
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

There really isn't a "safe waist training routine" unless you are talking body recomposition with strength training and not the corset.

Wearing a corset can be fashionable, but it isn't going to train your waist. Everything will go back to how it is after you take it off and doing it long term will lead to those issues you heard about.
    By safe I mean a 1-2 hour a day wear which is what is recommended by experts rather than an 8-9 hour a day wear which is what many users do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

By safe I mean a 1-2 hour a day wear which is what is recommended by experts rather than an 8-9 hour a day wear which is what many users do.

Experts? Fashion experts?
  • kalynbreann357
    Options

Experts? Fashion experts?

Funny. Nutritionists.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Even rail thin my waist was never smaller than about 24' and when I got that small my hips were about 33'

Interesting. I've labored under the impression my entire life that a 7-10 inch "hip-spring" (difference between waist and hip measurements) is normal. Not slim. Not hourglass. Just normal-average for an adult woman who is neither under- nor overweight.

As far as corseting - because that's what this celebrity fad of "waist training" is - it's been around for a while if one wants to hit the historical books and educate themselves as far as it's actual impact on the human (male and female alike) form.

In my experience the only time one should be concerned about length of time spent corseted is if they are practicing tight lacing. Heck, I spent the better part of eight hours in and *ran* a trail 4-5 miles in length in a true underbust corset as part of a pirate costumed run without any problems. The key is it wasn't laced to the point of adversely affecting my ability to run.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Okay, I feel the need to chime in on this topic with the same information I've posted a thousand times on this forum. I think both of you are confused. There is real Waist training (think tightlacing) and there is "waist training" the new fitness sensation perpetuated by the likes of the Kardashians and instafamous fake fitness models.

tumblr_nhdolpA9oa1qgxhslo1_500.jpg
    corset-lacing-o.gif

True waist training is something you should only consider starting because you love corsets (note, real corsets) and WANT to waist train. This is done with a true corset or cincher which is steel boned and has laces. You start slowly and consistently tying the laces on your corset smaller and smaller. This is called tight lacing. This allows people to reach insane levels of compression like sub 20 inches. Beware: true waist training applies an incredibly high amount of compression as the corset it laced, hooked, and boned with steel. This is done for 8+ hours a day, for months on end. Some women eventually need a corset to stand. Overtime it can re-arrange organs, change ribcage structure, and over time make it to where you NEED a corset because you atrophy core strength.

Now THIS->

maxresdefault.jpg

Now these products you're referring to are falsely called "waist cinchers". They are in fact NOT a true waist cincher (a type of corset) as they lack laces and boning. They therefore do not offer the level of compression or support an actual corset does to perform (real) waist training.

These "waist cinchers" are only closed with a fish and hook lock at the front of the "corset" and contain no boning. They are made of neoprene or other non breathable material. They lack not only the level of compression a real corset has, but they aren't made of breathable material. They incourage people to exercise with them on.

So let's get this straight. If you're asking about the above It's a compression garment similar to spanx, made of material to make you sweat, and only intended to be worn for a short duration of time (while exercising). Any benefit you'll receive from this product will be incredibly minimal and temporary (water weight).

And any "negative" you'll receive is lost money, time, and comfort. You will not suffer the horrible consequences you would with true waist training, but then again, you won't be receiving the true incredible reduction in waist size either.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I was looking into waist training to aid with weight loss and found lots of mixed reviews. Have any of yours tried it and what did you think?

I have not tried it, though I know what it is. The only thing required for weight loss is a calorie deficit. In other words, you can do all the waist training you want but if you don't eat at a calorie deficit you will not lose weight. However, if you eat at a calorie deficit while waist training, you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Progressive overload focusing on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press etc engage the core and many other muscles in order to give tighter, tauter muscles and a more shapely physique as long as your body fat is low enough

Hundreds of abdominal specific exercises are far less effective

Wearing a "waist trainer" may reduce the amount you can eat by compressing your internal organs and making it uncomfortable ..I suppose if you wear it long enough it's a way to achieve a calorie defecit. They may also cause you to lose water weight but drink or eat something and that's gone

Spanx or similar can give you shape for an occasion

Proper corsetting...custom made to size whale boned corsets getting smaller and tighter over years and worn consistently can over time warp the natural body

This.
  • bevwanj
    bevwanj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget that this is a fitness blog. Tight lacing and corset training are not made for the purpose of losing weight or fitness. Let's not forget how bad tight lacing is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tightlacing

Now I do understand rainbowbow may not have had much information on latex waist training hence the comment she made. The fact is, latex waist training is mainly used as a supplement to your exercise routine. Comparing the two is irrelevant because they are two very different things used for different purposes. Latex waist trainers combine the compression and the thermal pockets to help you lose weight. Combining that with an exercise routine is what creates long term results. The article "the science of waist training," goes in extreme detail as to how latex waist trainers work.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bevwanj wrote: »
    Let's not forget that this is a fitness blog. Tight lacing and corset training are not made for the purpose of losing weight or fitness. Let's not forget how bad tight lacing is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tightlacing

Now I do understand rainbowbow may not have had much information on latex waist training hence the comment she made. The fact is, latex waist training is mainly used as a supplement to your exercise routine. Comparing the two is irrelevant because they are two very different things used for different purposes. Latex waist trainers combine the compression and the thermal pockets to help you lose weight. Combining that with an exercise routine is what creates long term results. The article "the science of waist training," goes in extreme detail as to how latex waist trainers work.

I said specifically they are different things. To call it "waist training" is wrong. it doesnt train anything.

I'm sorry, but latex weight trainers don't cause weight loss. period.
  • philimyri
    philimyri Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As another mentioned above, its fake fitness. Eat healthy and workout.