Natural Remedies for health

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    I don't take supplements I eat the actual food. Eg I chop up two cloves of garlic & drink them down with water or I drink turmeric milk (Google golden milk) I eat cinnamon on my porridge or fruit salad. So it's all safe. Or I cut out wheat so don't eat bread pasta etc

I have noticed a positive difference to be honest. I haven't needed pain relief for my arthritis lately and my medication for asthma was reduced.

My mum has really bad cancer and they said she needed chemotherapy and to remove her breast, but she refused! She changed her diet, only ate organic, cut out dairy, ate things like Spirulina etc and they operated to just remove the lump and she got better, when they had said she only had 30% survival rate.

So I strongly believe there are properties in certain foods that aid the body & fight illness, just how certain foods damage the body & cause illness. It's not false, it's like saying a kiwi doesn't have vit C and doesn't fight infection. We know fruit has vit C eg lemon & vit C fights infection. Other foods has vitamins & minerals that help the body.

Scientific studies have been done on wheat that proved it had a negative impact on mental health patients, because it causes a release of certain hormones, which activate the "addiction" type behaviour.

All foods have properties in them that help the body or destroy it. My friends grandma was badly diabetic & couldn't have tomatoes but after a few weeks of cinnamon in her herbal tea she could have tomato.

I'm not sure about pill-form supplements, I'm refering to the real food form

I dont even know where to start......

Placebo effect, maybe? Combining these "magical wonders" with better diet and exercise and seeing results from the diet/exercise? :confused:

Well I only started dieting & exercise a couple weeks ago & before eating the turmeric & cutting out wheat (because wheat causes inflammation and turmeric prevents inflammation) I could hardly exercise from the pain of arthritis and needing steroids due to bad asthma, working out was very difficult. I decided not to take the steroids and stopped pain meds, started natural remedies and after about 3-4weeks I felt better & was able to start exercise and been cutting calories for 2weeks.

I think these remedies really work.

Well I guess not many on here believe in homeopathy or naturopathy - but if anybody does have other natural remedies tried & tested by their own experience please let me know

Wheat only causes inflammation in people who lack the enzyme that breaks down gluten, a type of protein commonly found in grains. It's like being lactose intolerant. Those people lack the ability to naturally produce an enzyme that is key to breaking down lactose, a protien found in dairy.

Just as not everyone is unable to efficiently digest lactose, not everyone is unable to digest gluten. The inflammation effect ONLY affects those with the inability.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” ~Hippocrates

(:

I take medical advice from dudes that have been dead for nearly 2400 years too.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member

(:

So people would be better served by seeing a chef than a physician.

Actually, most chefs have no nutritional sense or education and only care about flavor. Physicians also have very little sense of nutrition and most who do try to provide help are basing their recommendations off of outdated studies. I would recommend a registered and credible dietitician as the best source of health and wellness from a nutritional standpoint. Idk if your response was to question me, but I never stated you should see a chef instead of a physician. I stated a quote I liked that correlated with the title of the forum post(:
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    :)
  • GemFromJannah
    GemFromJannah Posts: 58 Member
    brower47 wrote: »
    I don't take supplements I eat the actual food. Eg I chop up two cloves of garlic & drink them down with water or I drink turmeric milk (Google golden milk) I eat cinnamon on my porridge or fruit salad. So it's all safe. Or I cut out wheat so don't eat bread pasta etc

I have noticed a positive difference to be honest. I haven't needed pain relief for my arthritis lately and my medication for asthma was reduced.

My mum has really bad cancer and they said she needed chemotherapy and to remove her breast, but she refused! She changed her diet, only ate organic, cut out dairy, ate things like Spirulina etc and they operated to just remove the lump and she got better, when they had said she only had 30% survival rate.

So I strongly believe there are properties in certain foods that aid the body & fight illness, just how certain foods damage the body & cause illness. It's not false, it's like saying a kiwi doesn't have vit C and doesn't fight infection. We know fruit has vit C eg lemon & vit C fights infection. Other foods has vitamins & minerals that help the body.

Scientific studies have been done on wheat that proved it had a negative impact on mental health patients, because it causes a release of certain hormones, which activate the "addiction" type behaviour.

All foods have properties in them that help the body or destroy it. My friends grandma was badly diabetic & couldn't have tomatoes but after a few weeks of cinnamon in her herbal tea she could have tomato.

Placebo effect, maybe? Combining these "magical wonders" with better diet and exercise and seeing results from the diet/exercise? :confused:

Well I only started dieting & exercise a couple weeks ago & before eating the turmeric & cutting out wheat (because wheat causes inflammation and turmeric prevents inflammation) I could hardly exercise from the pain of arthritis and needing steroids due to bad asthma, working out was very difficult. I decided not to take the steroids and stopped pain meds, started natural remedies and after about 3-4weeks I felt better & was able to start exercise and been cutting calories for 2weeks.

Well I guess not many on here believe in homeopathy or naturopathy - but if anybody does have other natural remedies tried & tested by their own experience please let me know

Wheat only causes inflammation in people who lack the enzyme that breaks down gluten, a type of protein commonly found in grains. It's like being lactose intolerant. Those people lack the ability to naturally produce an enzyme that is key to breaking down lactose, a protien found in dairy.

Just as not everyone is unable to efficiently digest lactose, not everyone is unable to digest gluten. The inflammation effect ONLY affects those with the inability.

This isn't entirely true.

This is the Dr who I found out information regarding wheat from: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

He did studies on his patients and also studies were done on mentally ill patients. It wasn't just patients who had wheat intolerance.
  • GemFromJannah

(:

So people would be better served by seeing a chef than a physician.

A combination of both. Many people report using natural remedies helped reduce or cut off their meds, and many had been using meds long term. But I don't know enough about it to advise not getting medical help. So see a doctor and then use natural remedies also and as the natural remedies start to work, slowly reduce meds under medical guidance
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    11141137_701573073313565_4941388602122209675_n.jpg?oh=a96456e81af7b4a8d5808c16cc0f3529&oe=5707F9CE

This is funny. :)
  • GemFromJannah

Also I rebound daily on my trampette for lymph system drainage.

Say, what? :/

Rebounding .... You basically bounce on an exercise trampoline. It helps drain toxins through the lymph system. Prevents illnesses and enlarged glands and inflammation. It is amazing fun cardio too. You can find rebounding workouts on YouTube. It's the cardio I do daily, it's really fun

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Rebounding .... You basically bounce on an exercise trampoline. It helps drain toxins through the lymph system. Prevents illnesses and enlarged glands and inflammation. It is amazing fun cardio too. You can find rebounding workouts on YouTube. It's the cardio I do daily, it's really fun

Serious malarky
  • GemFromJannah
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Serious malarky

Have you tried it??

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

:indifferent:

I bet sales people just love you.
  • GemFromJannah
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Wish they did, I might just get a discount!

What happened to that good old saying "don't knock it til you try it??"

My rebounder has been a delightful cardio buddy for me, it's fun and gives a giggle. Makes exercise more fun - anything else, such as lymph drainage is an added bonus :)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

This. So well said.

@GemFromJannah. I believe in natural remedies. For example, for me I've found ginger soothes an upset stomach, echinacea helps cold symptoms, Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL) helps with heartburn and gut issues, and the list goes on.

Here's the thing. Natural remedies are not meant to be a cure all, they are meant to be used in conjunction with traditional medicine when needed. Sure, if you've got a tummy ache and use some ginger and it takes care of it, great. But, if the tummy ache keeps coming back you have an issue that needs to be medically assessed. To do otherwise is to put a bandage on it without looking at why you keep having a tummy ache. I think it's pretty dangerous to rely on natural remedies only.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

My rebounder has been a delightful cardio buddy for me, it's fun and gives a giggle. Makes exercise more fun - anything else, such as lymph drainage is an added bonus :)

How do you know your lymph nodes are draining?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I've heard claims that rebounding cures cancer, too. It's amazing what people will believe.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

How does one measure better lymph drainage, exactly?
  • GemFromJannah
    queenliz99 wrote: »

How do you know your lymph nodes are draining?

Because I had an enlarged gland for 6 months that was getting bigger and wouldn't go and in 2 weeks of rebounding it's gone down in size.
    That's the biggest sign I've got
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/wheat-belly-arguments-are-based-on-shaky-science-critics-say-1.2974214

Critics say the anti-wheat claims made by leading health crusader Dr. William Davis are based on shaky science, an investigation by the fifth estate has found.

Davis is the author of the No. 1 New York Times best-selling book Wheat Belly, considered the bible of the wheat-free movement. He argues wheat has killed more people than all wars combined, and that it is responsible for an astonishing array of diseases — diabetes, obesity, Crohn’s disease and autoimmune disease, among many others.

He also claims the wheat we eat now is not what it used to be. Rather, it’s a genetically modified monster he calls "Frankenwheat" — and he says it’s killing us.

In the fifth estate’s War on Wheat, Davis tells Mark Kelley, "I’m waging a war against misinformation in health, in which one of the major and most destructive messages is to create a diet rich in healthy whole grains."

Davis is an unlikely warrior. He was a cardiologist in Milwaukee, trying to lose a few pounds to help fight his type 2 diabetes. He never conducted any of his own scientific studies, but found that after cutting wheat from his diet, his blood sugar levels were significantly reduced and his extra weight melted away.

He also heard similar stories from others: “Patient after patient came back and said, 'Well, I did that, my blood sugar’s much better and I also lost 43 pounds and I didn’t do anything else.'"

Davis and others in the anti-wheat movement are changing the way people eat — 56 per cent of Canadians now report they’re cutting down on foods such as bread, breakfast cereals, pastas and pastries. Gluten-free and wheat-free products are filling store shelves, with more than $6 billion in sales last year.

Kellogg’s, the world’s largest cereal maker, has seen its biggest drop in sales since the 1970s. Food companies are selling off their struggling bread divisions, while wheat sales are plummeting across Canada.

That’s because millions of people are going wheat-free, influenced by best-selling health evangelists and celebrities who say wheat is responsible for everything from fat bellies to breast cancer to schizophrenia.

About one per cent of the population does get sick from eating wheat – people with celiac disease. Still others have allergies and sensitivities to wheat. But Davis insists wheat is dangerous for everyone, causing high blood pressure, heart diseases, dementia and cancer.
    Anti-wheat claims questionable at best: critics

But the fifth estate’s investigation found that experts in the scientific community say scientific claims made by the anti-wheat movement are questionable at best.

Joe Schwarcz, a chemist at McGill University dedicated to demystifying science and debunking big claims, says, "This is one of these arguments that has one smidgen of scientific fact to it, which is then exploded into a whole blob of nonsense."

Schwarcz says he hasn’t seen any evidence that wheat has addictive properties, as Davis claims in his book. Schwarcz also says "opioid peptides" are produced when some foods are digested. But just because they can bind to opiate receptors in the brain doesn’t mean they produce a morphine-like effect.

"If we’re going to say that wheat is addictive," Schwarcz explains, "it’s along the line that people like foods that have wheat in them. It’s not a physical addiction."

It appears that Davis based this claim mainly on one study of rat brains, done on dead rats in 1979. The fifth estate could not locate any study on humans that conclusively proves wheat is addictive.

Davis also links wheat to mental illness such as schizophrenia. But the study he based his research on was conducted in 1966, and after almost 50 years of research, no one consulted by the fifth estate could point to any definitive study that specifically links wheat to schizophrenia.

What about Davis’s claim that today’s wheat is not wheat at all, but a "modern creation of genetics research"?

Researchers at the University of Saskatchewan have been studying the genetic profiles of 37 varieties of wheat grown in Canada since the 1800s, to discover if wheat’s basic protein structure has been altered in any way.
    Sask. study finds basic structure of wheat unchanged

Wheat geneticist Dr. Ravi Chabbar is heading up the Saskatchewan project and is paid to advise the grain industry, but this particular project is being funded by the federal government.

Dr. Chabbar says that over time, wheat has been modified to produce high-yield crops. But when it comes to wheat’s proteins – gluten and gliadins – the basic structure of "ancient" and modern wheat is the same.

The Canadian Celiac Association, the American Heart Association, the Obesity Society and the American College of Cardiology all refuse to endorse gluten-free diets for anyone who does not have celiac disease.

But the fact remains that despite the vast majority of scientists and health organizations not supporting much of what Dr. Davis says, more and more people are giving up grains. There is continuous debate – in the media and around the dinner table – about who should be winning the war on wheat.

Yoni Freedhoff, a family doctor and diet expert who runs a nutrition clinic in Ottawa, says the eating guidelines touted in Wheat Belly are similar to other carb-free diets that get results by dramatically reducing the carbohydrates and calories people eat.

He argues that the difference here is Davis, not any miracle cure: "This just took it to another level with a very charismatic doctor, who has a presentation that to me is reminiscent of an evangelical preacher. You know, with ‘You can be healed,’ and away you go. And I think…it’s what people want to hear. We want to believe in magic."
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015

Homeopathy is provably false - every homeopathic "supplement" is basically just pure water (or whatever diluent they are using), because homeopathy operates on the assumption that the dose/response curve is backwards, and that drugs and supplements become stronger and stronger the more dilute they are. Homeopathic "treatments" are basically so diluted that most doses won't have even a single molecule of the original "active ingredient" in them anymore.

If homeopathy were true, people wouldn't overdose on drugs, they would underdose on them, and the smaller amount of drug you consumed, the more potent it would be.

Naturopathy, on the other hand, can be real - for example, willow bark contains aspirin and that has a real and measurable effect, and most drugs are originally derived from some kind of naturally occurring biological substance, although often the original substance has unwanted properties so a synthetic substance that is similar in structure is used instead.

However, natural remedies have three key disadvantages, two inherent and one due to the way our laws are structures in the USA:
    1. Rather than one pure substance, you're ingesting thousands of different chemicals, only one or a few of which are producing the beneficial effect, which means you can have greater incidence of side effects from all the other ingredients.
    2. The naturally occurring substance isn't necessarily the best possible molecule of its class - as mentioned before, often times a synthetic molecule similar in structure is preferred because of greater potency, fewer side effects, etc.
    3. Every drug must have extensive testing before being FDA approved - no drug can be marketed until there is compelling data for its safety and efficacy; any drug that is unsafe or ineffective cannot be sold. Supplements can be sold until they are shown to be unsafe (there is no requirement at all that they be effective).
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited December 2015
    Wheat Belly
    —An Analysis of Selected Statements
    and Basic Theses from the Book

http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/opendocuments/cfw-57-4-0177.pdf
This discussion has been closed.