Natural Remedies for health

Options
123457»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'll be very disappointed if this gets shut down. I mean, the Terms of Use states
    "MyFitnessPal is not a medical professional, and MyFitnessPal does not provide medical services or render medical advice. The Services are not a substitute for the advice of a medical professional, and the information made available on or through the Services should not be relied upon when making medical decisions, or to diagnose or treat a medical or health condition."

To go down the path of talking about what happens in the case of lawsuits, etc. is ridiculous IMO because the terms clearly state that nothing here is a substitute for a medical professional. And no one's suggesting that if you have a life threatening condition, you should abandon prescription drugs altogether and try to do a search on natural methods that can help on its own with the condition.

People also need to use common sense. Just because a nutrient or natural supplement can help with a condition doesn't mean that one should go out and start taking massive doses.

Did you even read this thread? Op is advocating bouncing on a trampoline to relieve swelling in lymph nodes. Swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of cancer and no amount of bouncing on a trampoline is going to cure cancer. Op also advocated seeking natural remedies for curing breast cancer.

So yea, this thread is full of dangerous woo and should be closed.
    But she isn't saying to completely throw out all professional treatment when it comes to something like breast cancer. Rather, I'd say her point is about maximizing the potential benefits of natural methods in conjunction with the minimal amount of formal treatment necessary.

So bouncing on a trampoline is a legit natural cure method now???
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'll be very disappointed if this gets shut down. I mean, the Terms of Use states
    "MyFitnessPal is not a medical professional, and MyFitnessPal does not provide medical services or render medical advice. The Services are not a substitute for the advice of a medical professional, and the information made available on or through the Services should not be relied upon when making medical decisions, or to diagnose or treat a medical or health condition."

To go down the path of talking about what happens in the case of lawsuits, etc. is ridiculous IMO because the terms clearly state that nothing here is a substitute for a medical professional. And no one's suggesting that if you have a life threatening condition, you should abandon prescription drugs altogether and try to do a search on natural methods that can help on its own with the condition.

People also need to use common sense. Just because a nutrient or natural supplement can help with a condition doesn't mean that one should go out and start taking massive doses.

Did you even read this thread? Op is advocating bouncing on a trampoline to relieve swelling in lymph nodes. Swollen lymph nodes can be a sign of cancer and no amount of bouncing on a trampoline is going to cure cancer. Op also advocated seeking natural remedies for curing breast cancer.

But she isn't saying to completely throw out all professional treatment when it comes to something like breast cancer. Rather, I'd say her point is about maximizing the potential benefits of natural methods in conjunction with the minimal amount of formal treatment necessary.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I agree with her general point, but I'm not saying that everything she said I agree with.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I agree with her general point, but I'm not saying that everything she said I agree with.

you indicated the thread should remain open due to the fact that is providing good information, which is obviously not the case.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
  • GemFromJannah
    GemFromJannah Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1) I didn't say ever, not 1 time that rebounding cures cancer 2) I never said supplements cure cancer either! I never even said natural remedies alone cure cancer...

I said rebounding helps with lymph drainage and that I use it for my cardio exercise because it is fun and good cardio workout and if it drains the lymphs it's an extra bonus - no word about cancer there at all! I also said I don't take supplements and only take the nutrients via food, I never said supplements cure cancer I said medical treatment combined with eating a good diet helped cure my mums cancer. And as for the person referring to the NHS and homeopathy, I didn't use the NHS as evidence for homeopathy! I used the NHS as evidence for good nutrition in food aiding towards good health and preventing bad health.

Oh gosh I'm done wasting my time, people here obviously can't read and understand or even reference posts correctly.

And don't tell me what I can and can not post, if you don't like it complain to MFP. I can ask for advice about nutrition and discuss my personal situation however I want to. Why should my mum feel bad about me talking about her cancer? Why should my mum keep her story quiet as if she should be ashamed or embarrassed? You don't even know her name or my name or any way to trace her identity so how exactly have I been a bad daughter discussing her story ?? My mum
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    1) I didn't say ever, not 1 time that rebounding cures cancer 2) I never said supplements cure cancer either! I never even said natural remedies alone cure cancer...

I said rebounding helps with lymph drainage and that I use it for my cardio exercise because it is fun and good cardio workout and if it drains the lymphs it's an extra bonus - no word about cancer there at all! I also said I don't take supplements and only take the nutrients via food, I never said supplements cure cancer I said medical treatment combined with eating a good diet helped cure my mums cancer. And as for the person referring to the NHS and homeopathy, I didn't use the NHS as evidence for homeopathy! I used the NHS as evidence for good nutrition in food aiding towards good health and preventing bad health.

Oh gosh I'm done wasting my time, people here obviously can't read and understand or even reference posts correctly.

And don't tell me what I can and can not post, if you don't like it complain to MFP. I can ask for advice about nutrition and discuss my personal situation however I want to. Why should my mum feel bad about me talking about her cancer? Why should my mum keep her story quiet as if she should be ashamed or embarrassed? You don't even know her name or my name or any way to trace her identity so how exactly have I been a bad daughter discussing her story ?? My mum

Because it is HER private medical history. I would be very disappointed if I learned a loved one was talking about my medical history, and using it to potentially provide dangerous advice. Honestly, for me, that would be grounds to write them out of my life.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

you indicated the thread should remain open due to the fact that is providing good information, which is obviously not the case.

It's a conversation between adults with differing view points. Viewpoints on the far ends of each extreme and viewpoints in between. And people over reacting and saying I will cause a child to die because I said I was injured by being wrongly prescribed antibiotics and severely injured by a dermatology med I never needed. Never heard of people dying because they didn't use a cosmetic med they didn't need from a doctor that misinformed them about the use of the med. Do we need to eradicate a conversation to protect adults? Seems most people responding know what their health issues and limitations are and know to check their own medical history and with their own medical practitioner. If they have one that would actually allow them to discuss anything other than what pharmaceutical they could prescribe. I have a good health care practitioner now. But majority of doctors here would get pretty angry if you went to them for anything other than a prescription for drugs. I was severely injured by pharmaceuticals and it's severely impacted my health and ability to eat. My GP said, "Well what do you want me to do about it. You can't take meds. And you used up your chances for referrals" So, I was sent to a referral that injured me and now can't get a referral to deal with the injury according to her. But, I have a Rheumatologist that is a good doctor, so I go to her for now.
  • GemFromJannah
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Because it is HER private medical history. I would be very disappointed if I learned a loved one was talking about my medical history, and using it to potentially provide dangerous advice. Honestly, for me, that would be grounds to write them out of my life.

Well thank goodness I have a loyal mother who would never disown her own child. I guess not all daughters are as blessed as me! And my mother is actually an inspirational motivation speaker who tells people her story and inspires them to make most of their life despite of setbacks and obsticles. I'm proud of her and will talk about her and her success story, as for private medical history - please tell me who I am? Or who my mother is? You don't know! So it's still private because this is anonymous thread with no mention of identity. Please get back to exercising instead of throwing insults around, it might be more beneficial for you
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Per requests to pull this discussion. This discussion has not been reported. Posting about natural remedies isn't a violation of our guidelines. Members are free to disagree with the statements being made, and are doing so in this discussion. If there are particular posts anyone feels violates our guidelines, they should be reported and will be reviewed. I am replying here because I was pinged but don't feel this discussion is the appropriate place for this dialog. Please feel free to report the posts you feel violate our guidelines or message staff directly. Thank you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Well thank goodness I have a loyal mother who would never disown her own child. I guess not all daughters are as blessed as me! And my mother is actually an inspirational motivation speaker who tells people her story and inspires them to make most of their life despite of setbacks and obsticles. I'm proud of her and will talk about her and her success story, as for private medical history - please tell me who I am? Or who my mother is? You don't know! So it's still private because this is anonymous thread with no mention of identity. Please get back to exercising instead of throwing insults around, it might be more beneficial for you

I never insulted you. I simply said that if someone were sharing my personal and private medical history, I would be very very upset with them. The bonded is just uncalled for and very insulting. You know nothing about me.
  • GemFromJannah
    Options
    And how exactly is it dangerous to advise somebody to eat correct nutrition that helps the body fight illness and repair DNA damage, alongside seeking medical treatment? What could possibly be dangerous about that? You do know that there is proof that correct nutrition via a good diet can reduce the risk of cancer? So that right there is a correlating link between nutrition/food & cancer. So why would it be so absurd that after getting cancer, eating correct nutrition can help aid the body's recovery? Any doctor will tell you to eat a good diet during cancer therapy! And that's all I've said. I didn't say quacky stuff like "turmeric cured cancer" or "tomatoes cured cancer"! I said, my mum changed her diet, her whole diet. She ate a lot of fruits vegetables seeds free-range and organic products, soya products, green leafy foods, fresh wild fish, alongside multivitamin supplements. Any health professional will tell you that sounds like a balanced diet with different food groups. I never quoted a single supplement, I never singled out just 1 thing to take as a cure as if it is a "superfood" - I said she changed her diet and used good nutrition to support her medical treatment. And there is absolute nothing dangerous about that advice!
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,063 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MyFitnessPal a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Nova
    MFP Community Staff
This discussion has been closed.