Quitting Sugars in 2016 - Anyone with me??

Options
boricua3177
boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
I have a sugar problem...I drink sodas & love pastries, donuts, breads, any type of sweet. For the new year, I want to quit drinking sodas all together & drastically cut down on the sweets. Sodas (actually Coca Cola) is my real nemesis.

Anyone want to join me & we can post on this thread our struggles & our victories. I need help & I am sure there are others like me here!!

Let's quit the sodas & sugars in 2016, ya'll!!

Replies

• boricua3177
    Options
    I need to quit sodas, they are so bad for you health wise. I need some sugar quitters with me! LOL!
  • maryannachka
    maryannachka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same. I decided to start today though to get a head start on the new year goals I have. I want to cut out all extra sugar in my diet and cut down on bread.. I love any kind of bread pasta tortillas etc. I will try to only do minimal on brown grains only. I'm excited to be joining you!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday with no sugar! I am with ya :-)
  • boricua3177
    Options
    I know you can't quit sugars all together....all I want is some partners in quitting the excessive sugars. So if anyone wants to join me in quitting excessive sugars such as the type in sodas, pastries & what have you....please join me!
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I cut my sugar to 30g a day. I feel much better. Clear head. Less depression. No mood swings. The first few weeks is tough. I suggest slowly decreasing your sugar. Cut to one soda a day, then one every other day and then finally none. :) Good luck! You'll feel amazing.
  • lorindaleigh
    lorindaleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! Soda is how I gained all my weight! I will not be drinking any sodas ever again. I started this last week. I will be limiting sweets to special occasions only. I can't drink coffee without sugar but I will slowly be cutting back on coffee until I stop drinking it all together. Let's do this!!
  • mydream2befit
    mydream2befit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm throwing away everything too. I have to quit cold turkey otherwise I will be back into it. I'm the type of person that cannot incorporate it into my diet because once I have a taste I will not stop and will end up just eating junk lol.

So I'm all for throwing away all my crap I got for Christmas lol. Hopefully I get rid of it for good this time! I'm not a soda drinker but I love sweets and candy.
  • boricua3177
    Options
    @lorindaleigh @mydream2befit Add me as a friend so we can do this!!!

• boricua3177
    Options
    @mydream2befit Add me as a friend! So we can do this! Like you if I moderate, I will just continue with the status quo & drink up all the sodas.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You go people! I cut it out for 2 weeks and my skin cleared up so nicely. I was hoping to cut my addiction keeping sugar below 25g, fruit and otherwise. 2 weeks was not enough and I felt like a junkie just counting down the days. I would join you but I will now continue to write 700+ weak excuses. (skip that actually) Good luck everyone that joins!
  • boricua3177
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    You go people! I cut it out for 2 weeks and my skin cleared up so nicely. I was hoping to cut my addiction keeping sugar below 25g, fruit and otherwise. 2 weeks was not enough and I felt like a junkie just counting down the days. I would join you but I will now continue to write 700+ weak excuses. (skip that actually) Good luck everyone that joins!
    @besee_2000
    LOL!!! I know what you mean! The last time I quit sodas (I didn't have sodas for over a year & a half) I felt so good & very energized....then I got sucked back in by delicious Coca Cola!

So yeah, I need to leave the soda alone! ;-)

• walk2health4me
    walk2health4me Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic who is addicted to carbs, so i tossed out the crackers, , bread, to wild birds an went to grocery store and got lots of raw veggies, i also know a lot of folks use almond flour or cashew flour mix it with eggs and have low carb pancakes, i use cauliflower for mashed potatoes, and you can even make a cauliflower pizza crust with very low low carbs, bread and crackers are my weakness, so i am learning to use lettuce leaf wraps for sandwiches no bread,
  • hmfishy
    hmfishy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Must quit the coke. Would love to join your challenge!
  • doodleswithpencils
    Options
    I'm with you. I am pretty much literally addicted to anything sugary except fruit, and yes that includes breads. I will allow myself occasional sugar treats but they do my health and mental state no good and I tend to be sucked into all or nothing, so will need this support for the times when that happens.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar problem...I drink sodas & love pastries, donuts, breads, any type of sweet. For the new year, I want to quit drinking sodas all together & drastically cut down on the sweets. Sodas (actually Coca Cola) is my real nemesis.

Anyone want to join me & we can post on this thread our struggles & our victories. I need help & I am sure there are others like me here!!

Let's quit the sodas & sugars in 2016, ya'll!!

I've been off of sodas since April of 2014. I only drink water. It takes a couple of weeks for those cravings to go away. Good luck!
  • mbulmer10
    mbulmer10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit my Dr. Pepper habit 2 1/2 years ago cold turkey and have never looked back. I would drink anywhere from 2 cans to 8 cans a day. I didn't notice weight loss really, but I was a lot less puffy, especially in my face. I need to cut down on chocolate and sweets, and will be working on that this year.
  • Samina1215
    Samina1215 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy to join you. I'm going to go back to the keto approach to healthy living and this also includes cutting the sugars. I'm in. Add me if you like.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,198 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join the group!! I drink sodas way too much. Granted, I drink DIET sodas, but I know they are not good for me. And I know I have a sugar addiction. This is one of my resolutions for the new year - give up unhealthy sugars, and carbs!!
  • shonntey
    shonntey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to join your group! I have the same goal for 2016!! :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know you can't quit sugars all together....all I want is some partners in quitting the excessive sugars. So if anyone wants to join me in quitting excessive sugars such as the type in sodas, pastries & what have you....please join me!

So we just don't have to consume "excessive sugars"? Seems easy enough, and IMO that does not involve giving up all added sugar, so long as it's not excessive (as I understand it -- the WHO guidelines make sense to me).

I can't give up sugar in soda, since I don't consume any.