Quitting Sugars in 2016 - Anyone with me??

Options

Replies

• hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to take a step back from added sugar. In the past I've found giving up added sugar totally for a month seems to reset my cravings to stop overindulgence.
  • ChrisJaeger2015
    ChrisJaeger2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you! Add me as a friend...
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at some of the people who get so caught up in the semantics of my post. If you know you are consuming a little too much refined sugars, sodas, pastries, & junk AND you want to cut back - add me as a friend so we can be in this together. It's that simple. :smiley:

Thanks to those who shared their stories about how great they feel after quitting sodas & cutting back significantly on the sugars. Your posts have inspired me even more. Thanks for sharing with me & letting me know your story.
  • Leoess
    Leoess Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my drug of choice. I can't even chew sugar-free gum at work without being bit by a tidal wave of longing for a sip of fresh, cold soda from the fountain. It's crippling sometimes, and it makes me really self-conscious how desperate I can be just to get a taste of something sweet. Fruit rarely does any justice.

I'm SO jumping on the bandwagon! I already had a mind to make cutting back/eliminating sugar (in the form of sweet junk food/drink) my New Year's resolution, but I think this will help me stick to it.
  • damara83
    damara83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I already had planned on cutting sugar and alcohol out again this year, (I also did in January 2015 for about 3 months and I felt fantastic), so I am very excited to join you for this 2016 challenge! Hopefully I can surpass the 3 months from last year. Let's do this! :D
  • damara83
    damara83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do I add this group?
  • katiemstamey
    katiemstamey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit sodas a few years ago and it is easily one of the top things I've ever done. Once you get it out of your system it is a breeze. Then once you do drink one it's so ungodly sweet that you can't stand it! My big issue is chocolate though. It's seriously an addiction lol! Feel free to add me! I'm looking to cut out sweets as well!
  • CrystalKSU
    CrystalKSU Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I have been added sugars-free for 15 days. It's been hard but GOD my skin looks better and I feel awesome. I still eat fruit but in moderation and it's making a difference!! I'm also cutting out wheat and keeping carbs low and focusing on portion control which is my major weakness. The cravings get more manageable each day. I am happy to add friends/be added who are in this battle too!
  • jodi3357
    jodi3357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Almost to 90 days no sugar, no white carbs. I feel great!!!!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good for you for trying to clean up you diet and reduce you added sugar intake.
    Here is a link to a study from the American Heart Association saying that a diet high in added sugars can add to your heart disease risk.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp#.VoUeJ7YrJhE

I try to minimize as much added sugar and artificial sweeteners in my diet as possible. Drinking carbonated flavored water has taken the place of diet sodas for me when I crave a sweet beverage.

Good Luck.
  • Shibito69
    Shibito69 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Just a little bit of history, 1 year and a half ago I was hooked on Coca-Cola mainly but other sodas too, I was having troubles with my digestion and had trouble eating without getting my Coke.

But then I decided I would stop this addiction, it was so hard to do because all my family was drinking Coke like it was milk, every minute of the day there was this nagging feeling that I was losing so much. But i kept saying no to every soda on my way.

I started to drink water in bottle, and tried to change everyday wich water I would drink. One year later I am a water junkie. When you stop sodas all together it starts hard, but then as you start drinking more water you get some taste back that you lost by consuming sodas.

Nowadays I drink almost exclusively water and now I know almost all water brands in my country, have my preferences, and can really feel the difference in taste it has, it's a wonderful feeling.

Someone tried to make me drink a bit of Coke and i get disgusted as soon as it enters my mouth, the taste I acquired by consuming water got really fine and the sodas have a hard time getting over that.

Now sometimes i still drink the occasional soda (with no carbonized water though) like fruit sodas or something but it's like twice or thrice a week no more,and that's because water became so good.
    (FWI - Water in my country is quite cheap and I now that everyone can't afford bottled water, yet i don't drink ONLY bottled water, if the water quality suits, you can drink water from your kitchen as well :)

Well I hope this can motivate you, I now that stopping soda made me lose almost 20kg alone without touching my food consumption (which I'm starting to correct now) as I was getting over the obese stats...

I'm close to the 100kg (i'm quite big so it's not that obvious so lucky me) now and feel much better and I know that now I have to work on my food consumption and move more so I can get rid of the rest of my weight and get fit again.

(I'm 26 btw so i grew up with sodas... so everyone can do it i guess with a little determination !)
  • jodi3357
    jodi3357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know you can't quit sugars all together....all I want is some partners in quitting the excessive sugars. So if anyone wants to join me in quitting excessive sugars such as the type in sodas, pastries & what have you....please join me!
    jodi3357 wrote: »
    I have a sugar problem...I drink sodas & love pastries, donuts, breads, any type of sweet. For the new year, I want to quit drinking sodas all together & drastically cut down on the sweets. Sodas (actually Coca Cola) is my real nemesis.

Anyone want to join me & we can post on this thread our struggles & our victories. I need help & I am sure there are others like me here!!

Let's quit the sodas & sugars in 2016, ya'll!!

I've been off of sodas since April of 2014. I only drink water. It takes a couple of weeks for those cravings to go away. Good luck!

Almost 90 days no added sugar and no white carbs. I feel great!!
  • RebeccaSmith9
    RebeccaSmith9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am with you I havent had soda for 70 days so far so good but I love sweet cereals bread etc so I need to give it up starting the New Year!!
  • LouiseWray3107
    LouiseWray3107 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!!! Along with the running thing lol
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I need to quit sodas, they are so bad for you health wise. I need some sugar quitters with me! LOL!

Me! I have found I just don't have the willpower to only have sweets here and there. I need to quit them. I don't drink soda but I do drink coffee with flavored creamer in it and that is the first thing I am cutting. I am doing it slowly so I don't get headaches but plan to be coffee free by Jan. 8th.
  • SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Quitting soda here! Definitely limiting treats, but not cutting out completely. I've got kids who need cake for their birthdays. And I'm not gonna say no to a piece of cake
  • sheiladurnil
    sheiladurnil Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am here with you! It is tough to find food without it nowadays but it takes time and patience to read labels and look for it... but it really amazes me that it costs so much more to eat healthy... so crazy but I have to cut it out and here we go!!
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Sugary desserts are my trigger foods. I just eat and eat and eat with no control over anything, so I'm going to just cut them out completely in 2016. If I'm craving something sweet, I'll have a piece of fruit. I also want to focus on my sugar intake in general and try to make sure I stay within the amount MFP allots me.
  • Radiant8888
    Radiant8888 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YES, YES, YES, YES YES!!! I am TOTALLY with you.

tumblr_inline_myzq5ne8zo1qfalsm.jpg
  • Radiant8888
    Radiant8888 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    damara83 wrote: »
    How do I add this group?

I think you can bookmark it only - there is a star to the right of the original post and highlighting this by clicking on it means you can track this discussion.