Keto

Can I do Keto even though I have high cholesterol? I did ask doctor about it she just say oh don't do it it's not sustainable most people will regain their weight . She suggest me to do weightwatchers. But I don't want to do weightwatchers since its doesn't teach anything , just count foods on point system.

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Can I do Keto even though I have high cholesterol? I did ask doctor about it she just say oh don't do it it's not sustainable most people will regain their weight . She suggest me to do weightwatchers. But I don't want to do weightwatchers since its doesn't teach anything , just count foods on point system.
    So you asked a medical professional who knows all about your personal health history, regarding the safety of a diet, didn't like their answer, and decided to trust strangers on the internet instead? I would agree with your doctor that ketosis is not a sustainable plan, and that most people do regain the weight they lose. That being said, most people regain the weight they lose on any diet plan. Ketosis does not cause any additional fat loss beyond the caloric deficit it creates. Using the same caloric deficit, but eating a diet that includes carbs will yield you the same results. It might make more sense to simply eat a reduced calorie, mixed diet that focuses on minimally processed whole food and allows for less nutritious foods in moderation. That sounds like something that is indeed sustainable long term and should only benefit your cholesterol levels.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    So you asked a medical professional who knows all about your personal health history, regarding the safety of a diet, didn't like their answer, and decided to trust strangers on the internet instead? I would agree with your doctor that ketosis is not a sustainable plan, and that most people do regain the weight they lose. That being said, most people regain the weight they lose on any diet plan. Ketosis does not cause any additional fat loss beyond the caloric deficit it creates. Using the same caloric deficit, but eating a diet that includes carbs will yield you the same results. It might make more sense to simply eat a reduced calorie, mixed diet that focuses on minimally processed whole food and allows for less nutritious foods in moderation. That sounds like something that is indeed sustainable long term and should only benefit your cholesterol levels.

^ All of this. Every word of it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yeah, keto is not necessary for weight loss, but doctor didn't say anything about safety regarding cholesterol, just that it isn't sustainable in that most people will regain their weight afterwards.

Why will the natural alternative be Weightwatchers? Why not just find a calorie counting website, determine your calorie need, eat whatever food you like, weigh and log your food? There's got to be something you can use out there, just keep looking :p
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm high carb. I love beans and oatmeal which are good for lowering cholesterol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

1. and what exactly does keto teach you?
    2. for what its worth, my did did adkins once upon a time and his cholesterol went through the roof.
    3. by doing keto, you are eliminating many of the things that are actually beneficial to lowering cholesterol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Why not just find a calorie counting website, determine your calorie need, eat whatever food you like, weigh and log your food? There's got to be something you can use out there, just keep looking :p

Your suggestion sounds too good to be true. How on earth could there be such a program that helps you calculate your caloric needs AND provides a database of entries for food logging? Next thing you will tell me is that there is a helpful community of seasoned veterans waiting to answer questions and provide insight (and funny gifs).

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    You don't need to do keto for weight loss. A calorie deficit will suffice.
    Eat within MFP calorie limits, log your foods and exercise.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

A ketogenic diet is sustainable. I can easily imagine doing it for years even though I have only been on it for six months. The health benefits of this WOE are too great for me to walk away from it. In the Low Carber Daily and keto groups there are many who have been keto for years and are healthier for it. Check out those boards for more knowledgeable advice on it.

I do agree that if you stop a ketogenic diet (and were eating at a deficit) you will be more likely to regain your weight, but that is true of ALL diets. If you go back to what made you fat you will get fat. Again. That isn't just true of a ketogenic diet.

As for cholesterol, it is a myth for the vast majority of people that a high fat, low carb diet is bad for cholesterol and causes CAD. It isn't true. Most on a ketogenic det will see an improvement in cholesterol. Triglycerides go down, HDL goes up, Lp(a) goes down, and LDL usually stays about the same but it changes into the healthier, fluffy pattern A variety rather than the denser, less healthy pattern B type. There are exceptions to this but those people are not the rule. Just look through the Low Carb groups for anecdotal proof of this

Read cholesterol Clarity or the Great Cholesterol Mythfor more information. Or just google it. A high carb intake is MUCH more likely to raise cholesterol than a low carb diet.

Best wishes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I should add that I agree that a ketogenic diet is not the only to lose weight. Many people do fine by simply moderating their food intake, but many do better on a very LCHF diet. Most people won't know which group they are in until they try.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Ketosis is indeed sustainable. Sure you can lose weight on ANY calorie deficit, but what some of the earlier posters neglect to tell you is that the TYPE of weight you lose (Fat vs Muscle) will vary depending on your macros.
    You can lose tons of weight (mostly muscle) eating snickers bars at a deficit, or with a Ketogenic diet you can lose mostly fat. Also, there's so much more to diet than weight loss. The Ketogenic diet provides the best overall health improvement. I vote for Ketosis....althought it might not be for mere mortals...... :)
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

A ketogenic diet is sustainable. I can easily imagine doing it for years even though I have only been on it for six months. The health benefits of this WOE are too great for me to walk away from it. In the Low Carber Daily and keto groups there are many who have been keto for years and are healthier for it. Check out those boards for more knowledgeable advice on it.

I do agree that if you stop a ketogenic diet (and were eating at a deficit) you will be more likely to regain your weight, but that is true of ALL diets. If you go back to what made you fat you will get fat. Again. That isn't just true of a ketogenic diet.

As for cholesterol, it is a myth for the vast majority of people that a high fat, low carb diet is bad for cholesterol and causes CAD. It isn't true. Most on a ketogenic det will see an improvement in cholesterol. Triglycerides go down, HDL goes up, Lp(a) goes down, and LDL usually stays about the same but it changes into the healthier, fluffy pattern A variety rather than the denser, less healthy pattern B type. There are exceptions to this but those people are not the rule. Just look through the Low Carb groups for anecdotal proof of this

Read cholesterol Clarity or the Great Cholesterol Mythfor more information. Or just google it. A high carb intake is MUCH more likely to raise cholesterol than a low carb diet.

Best wishes.

This. Do research how high carbohydrate intake raises cholesterol levels.

Also, there's a lot of ignorance regarding calorie in and calorie out. It's not as simple as calculating the number of calories a person needs and eating just that amount to lose weight. If it were that simple, we wouldn't need MFP.

See if you can get an appointment with a nutritionist. Keto may not be the answer for you, but low carb might be.

Low carb is what my doctor recommended for me to lower my cholesterol. People who know nothing about low carb make all kinds of assumptions that are incorrect. There are foods that remove cholesterol from the body that are low carb friendly, such as oatmeal and lentils, as well as others. Make an appointment with a nutritionist to get the facts.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited December 2015

Keto generally improves your lipid profile - lower triglycerides, higher HDL, especially if you're selective with the oil / fat types.

One professional's personal experience at http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/lipid-changes-on-a-very-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-my-own-experience
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    CMYKRGB wrote: »

Best wishes.

This. Do research how high carbohydrate intake raises cholesterol levels.

Also, there's a lot of ignorance regarding calorie in and calorie out. It's not as simple as calculating the number of calories a person needs and eating just that amount to lose weight. If it were that simple, we wouldn't need MFP.

See if you can get an appointment with a nutritionist. Keto may not be the answer for you, but low carb might be.

Low carb is what my doctor recommended for me to lower my cholesterol. People who know nothing about low carb make all kinds of assumptions that are incorrect. There are foods that remove cholesterol from the body that are low carb friendly, such as oatmeal and lentils, as well as others. Make an appointment with a nutritionist to get the facts.

It is as simple as getting your correct numbers and eating below them. People need MFP because people in general suck at just estimating their intake.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2015
    If you do what Vismal said, you will be pretty much doing low carb. When you eat at a calorie deficit you cannot heap scoops of pasta on your plate. Get plenty of protein, vegetables, healthy fats and yes...carbs!! I try to stick with the multigrains, That's all it takes, eat regular food, at a modest calorie deficit. This is what works and is sustainable. Life is too short to not enjoy that slice of pizza or whatever it is you normally enjoy.

I want to add I did it for about 8 months. My cholesterol did go up. My numbers only got better after I lost 40 lbs, and that was by eating normally, just smaller portions
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    No eating plan is sustainable for most overweight people. No way of eating is better than another. Look at the new threads here - piles of "I'm back starting again", tens of thousands of people who lost weight and put it all back. In the end it's motivation - studies show that people who have serious health issues that are connected with diet and really see the connection are more likely to keep the weight off. "My doctor says if I don't lose weigh I'll die" is not enough motivation.

I happen to be on a fairly aggressive ketogenic diet. I have health issues that seem to be alleviated by it and I also happen to be losing weight, but weight loss is not my primary goal. However I am the lowest weight I've been in 30 years, and my blood levels are normal. I would not recommend keto for most people- it requires more attention to details than most are willing to give. I won't know if what I'm doing is sustainable for at least 2 years.

For some people, the high fat comsumption in keto helps with food cravings.

Keep it simple, count calories, lose weight, get bored and stop, then come back and start again.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    CMYKRGB wrote: »

Best wishes.

No, it is actually that simple, in order to lose weight. All that is required is a calorie deficit. What makes it difficult is maintaining that calorie deficit. Some people find keto or low carb an easier way to create the calorie deficit. Others feel that is too restrictive and prefer other methods to create the calorie deficit. Why people need MFP is that as @stevencloser pointed out - most people don't understand their basic caloric requirements. If people had a good understanding of their TDEE, AND they had ways of estimating their calories in and calories out, they wouldn't actually need MFP. However, MFP is a tool that helps with all of that, but it is just one tool. It doesn't exist because CICO doesn't work. It exists because CICO does work - but people need data to plug into the equation.

• N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    First, lets put cholesterol in perspective.
    I would suggest the following two videos available on youtube:
    I think this should be mandatory viewing for anyone considering statin drug therapy.

For those who are constantly discrediting the author for having hidden interest and bias. This documentary was produced by an Australian program (Catalyst.) You won't find it broadcast in the US seeing as big-pharma has such a stranglehold on information.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Diet only affects your cholesterol by less that 8%. Exercise is what helps your cholesterol. I presented a study to my doctor of overweight people with high cholesterol and high insulin problems eating a 30g carb diet primarily of unsaturated fats and she approved of it. Exercise is what will help your cholesterol. Point blank.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited December 2015
    Exercise is what will help your cholesterol. Point blank.
    Cholesterol is not the problem, period. Triglycerides are a better indicator.
    The entire Cholesterol Theory was based off of bad science and they keep moving the goal posts to justify putting you on a statin drug.
    So getting back to the original question .....
    Can I do Keto even though I have high cholesterol?
    Yes, you can do a Keto/Low Carb diet no matter what your cholesterol numbers are.
    And for some light reading I would suggest:
    • The Great Cholesterol Myth
    • Lipitor Thief of Memory

....oh, and as a side note, I've been doing Keto/Low Carb for close to four years now. My Triglycerides have dropped. My doctor nagged me into a statin but I quit taking them after 3 months later after becoming better educated. This was after what had been acceptable levels for years, were suddenly deemed as too high (presumably based on research done by the marketing/sales division.)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    N200lz wrote: »
    Exercise is what will help your cholesterol. Point blank.
    Cholesterol is not the problem, period. Triglycerides are a better indicator.
    The entire Cholesterol Theory was based off of bad science and they keep moving the goal posts to justify putting you on a statin drug.
    So getting back to the original question .....
    Can I do Keto even though I have high cholesterol?
    Yes, you can do a Keto/Low Carb diet no matter what your cholesterol numbers are.
    And for some light reading I would suggest:
    • The Great Cholesterol Myth
    • Lipitor Thief of Memory

....oh, and as a side note, I've been doing Keto/Low Carb for close to four years now. My Triglycerides have dropped. My doctor nagged me into a statin but I quit taking them after 3 months later after becoming better educated. This was after what had been acceptable levels for years, were suddenly deemed as too high (presumably based on research done by the marketing/sales division.)

Do you know what the original low end of the 'bad science' for a cholesterol reading was?

OP at age 22 what was your overall cholesterol number?

As a reference, The Great Cholesterol Myth, is an interesting read. From p.184, 'the higher the average daily consumption of vegetables and fruits, the lower the chances of developing cardiovascular disease. Compared with those in the lowest category of fruit and vegetable intake(fewer than one and half servings daily). those averaging eight or more servings per day were a whopping 30 percent less likely to have had a heart attack or stroke."