Loose skin recovery

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    You might want to consider incorporating more gelatin in your diet. NOT Jello necessarily, but gelatin. They sell it as a flavorless powder. Add it to hot cereal or hot drinks. They also sell it in capsules. There are other foods too that have been shown to increase skin elasticity (cucumber and celery come to mind). Google it and get a list going and try to incorporate more of them into diet. Juicing is awesome for this kind of thing. Cram as many into a drink as possible and slug it back once a day. Call it your "skin juice". :)
    What clinical research is there to support that this will "snap" loose skin back?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You might want to consider incorporating more gelatin in your diet. NOT Jello necessarily, but gelatin. They sell it as a flavorless powder. Add it to hot cereal or hot drinks. They also sell it in capsules. There are other foods too that have been shown to increase skin elasticity (cucumber and celery come to mind). Google it and get a list going and try to incorporate more of them into diet. Juicing is awesome for this kind of thing. Cram as many into a drink as possible and slug it back once a day. Call it your "skin juice". :)
    What clinical research is there to support that this will "snap" loose skin back?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

None
  • ikeATtheGYM
    ikeATtheGYM Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Did you happen to maybe notice that the OP said he's dieted, been training hard, using lotion and STILL has loose skin?

Yes, I did, why do you ask?
  • ninerbuff
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ok you guys.... I surrender!

I can't help but think of a movie quote...

"It puts the lotion on its skin."

But seriously, you guys are great, I love the passion!

As for my critics and opposition on this lotion fiasco...

One said "...but isn't an effective strategy the point?" So we humans have enough genetic variance to not know who will tighten up their skin or not, BUT not enough genetic variance for my suggestions to possibly be effective? Seems a bit hypocritical to claim genetics in one case but not the other and to do it with such definitive tone.....also, you fail recognize the psychological effects of actually have something positive to do, instead of doing nothing because it's just a genetic lottery anyway.bEither way it's a genetic crap shoot, but my way he's at least doing what are the known techniques for helping your genes do their thing.
    At 5'7" because of my genetics, I could drink milk, get stretched on a "rack" and even add heel lifts. All positive things to do, yet does nothing to change my height that was genetically bestowed upon me. My chances of dunking a basketball are limited.
    Another said..."you can't go from 42 waist to 32 and not have loose skin" actually yes you can and there are tons of pictures all over this site and bodybuilding.com of people who have washboard abs with very little noticeable loose skin and they lost 100+...Yes, I know there are many that have loose skin, but, why assume that will be the group the OP is in.
    Reread the response. IF someone has 9 inches of loose skin from weight loss after 2 years, no training, protein, etc. is going to remedy that.
    Another said "I wasn't smug to the OP"...you are right, you were smug towards me and were soooo happy to flex your knowledge and discount what I had said, even though you totally missed the spirit and intent of my suggestions. Not everybody has the same way of dealing with things, For some people it has a huge psychological benefit to do something positive for a problem they are dealing with and for other they prefer to do only what is proven science, in their mind. The end result is more than the skin around his waist, it's how he thinks about it and deals with it that matters.
    Wait, you did refer to me being smug in your first post right? Sure there are ways to positively help people with how they feel about an issue, but giving them correct information isn't being negative. Of course unless you're just here to be just a cheerleader.
    A final thought: We are all humans, imperfect humans. Very smart people can be wrong too, doctors make misdiagnosis, and scientists great hypothesis are disproven. The only constant is that everybody is imperfect and everybody can make mistakes and that the smartest people know they can learn more because they know enough to know that they don't know it all.
    There's anecdotes and then there's evidence. Most people would like to know actual evidence.
    But apparently the above critics and posters are right and under no circumstances should anybody ever expect weight training, time and lotion(but, especially not lotion) to have any impact on any humans loose skin even if the same the genetic diversity that they claim is the major factor in their argument is actually the same basis for the opposing view.
    You're talking in circles. If 2 people of the same age, same ethnicity, same amount of loose skin, same time frame, same diet, same workout, etc. get different results in loose skin retraction, it's because one has better genetics than the other.
    Point is the only thing one can do is wait it out. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, then you get to blame your parents since it's their genes you're carrying. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ikeATtheGYM, the molecules in moisturizing lotions are too big to get into the dermis. And the dermis and deeper layer are where the action happens.

layers.jpg

The molecules can sort of, temporarily, make the top of the epidermis look a little more lubricated. That's a cosmetic effect that goes away when you wash off the product. It is not a bad thing to do if your skin bothers you, and it might distract you from a loose look, but it doesn't help the skin actually change in a meaningful or lasting way.

That's why marketers of beauty products are legally obliged to hedge their promises. For face creams, they can say a product "improves the look of fine lines and wrinkles", but they can't say it fixes them. Because it actually can't. It can't get in there deep enough.
  • Ifitfits
    Ifitfits Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also had loose skin , after a mere 60 pound weight loss... My GP said id need surgery . I got surgery on my chest (loose skin + gynecomastia ) . The stomach slowly tightened but never got fully tight after 3 years of cutting and bulking
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ifitfits wrote: »
    I also had loose skin , after a mere 60 pound weight loss... My GP said id need surgery . I got surgery on my chest (loose skin + gynecomastia ) . The stomach slowly tightened but never got fully tight after 3 years of cutting and bulking

Yes. This is what the "vets" are trying to say. People that have been there know how it is. Thanks for letting us know.
  • tacticalcraptical
    tacticalcraptical Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Though I did not expect things to get so heated in regards to this questions I really appreciate all the input and will take the information given, research it and apply it if it is relevant. Thank you all!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Though I did not expect things to get so heated in regards to this questions I really appreciate all the input and will take the information given, research it and apply it if it is relevant. Thank you all!
    It's not heated, it's just good information for those who actually want to know about loose skin issues from people who have experience and knowledge in the field.
    Sometimes some take "truth" as negative context towards an issue. It's not incorrect or mean to give correct information for those who are actually seeking it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hey, cucumber will even cure hangovers! http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-cucumber-for-skin-hair-and-health/

Oh, you were asking about RESEARCH. Well, then...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hey, cucumber will even cure hangovers! http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-cucumber-for-skin-hair-and-health/

Oh, you were asking about RESEARCH. Well, then...
    Cucumbers scare cats. Truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWnPNM-O0k

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png