Options
2»

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I use the ball and dumb bells. Sears had dumb bells on sale for $1 a pound. I also got CAP dumb bells with free shipping online for $1 a pound in December. I now have collected 3,5,8,10,12,15,20 and 25 pound dumb bells over the past 6 months. I got a rack that they fit on with a small foot print. All told it cost about $225 over that time. It's a good start and I'm not sure about a bar bell but did buy an ez curl bar and some plates, also on sale.

Using the ball is great for the posterior chain too. I am doing some tricep work (thanks @Sam_I_Am77 ) and my butt and hams are doing their work to stabilize. So another full body workout.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    Great suggestions everyone! :)

Yes, I would be brand new to weight training.
    I don't go to a gym because it is too far from where I live so that is why I'm creating a home gym. I have a bit of space but not a ton. I have some 5lb dumbells and started using those for some arm exercises and it is enough weight right now for my triceps but not for my biceps and definitely not my shoulders (I do a lot of yoga). I have no idea how to use weights to work out my legs, back or abs though, I'm hoping to figure it out as I go.

It looks like I need a bench and some free weights. I had never thought of buying plates and bars (duh), I was thinking individual dumbells - so that is a good idea! Those PowerBlocks look great but unless they are drastically on sale I won't be able to get them for a while because $$$$. I'd rather start now than wait. I have seen some adjustable kettlebells that weren't too expensive so they might be on the radar too.

you dont have to have a bench and barbell right away. you can just get hand weights and kettlebells if you want. I didnt have a weight bench for the longest time and still found ways to work my arms,legs,etc. but I have noticed that weights are almost $2 per lb of weight. so if you want to save money in the long run then the adjustable ones are the way to go. but of you dont have the funds get a cheaper set of the adjustable ones. the powerblocks also have a bar that can go inbetween the handweights to make it a barbell. its like $70 though just for the bar. you can get a cheap decent weight bench with weights for under $100 if that is the route you want to take. but you can get by for now with just hand weights and kettlebells and follow a lifting program. fitnessblender.com has weight lifting videos(among other types of workout videos) and they are free as well. check them out.

I think this may be the most cost effective way for me to get started. If I enjoy it and stick with it then I can invest in more equipment later. I have looked at FitnessBlender and I like the videos that I previewed. I like a no-nonsense approach and I don't need cheerleading. :)
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good for you for deciding to hit the weights. Good advice above and I stand by my statement that the best investment for your buck is some simple free weights. You can invest in an exercise ball for ab work and it can even be used as a bench (I did this for years before investing in a bench...starting lifting a lot heavier and it was time to get on a more stable surface).

ob4i7cv4x6lp.jpg
    tkzv0xyh3d10.jpg

So much more great home workout stuff, but this will get you up and running.

I would have never thought to use a balance ball as a bench! Great idea! I found a 40lb adjustable dumbbell set for about $40 which I think is a good price and good starter set for me.
    My local Craigslist is loaded with equipment, including plates, barbells, dos. Don't pay more than 50¢ per pound.

I will definitely check that out before I buy from a store. Thanks.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    A TRX or other suspension trainer is a great bang for the buck. Very portable and you can do exrecipes to challenge an 80 yo old or world class athlete
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Start with the free weights. Around March or April is when all the resolution people usually sell their barely used exercise equipment on craigslist so you can get a lot of bang for your buck around then.