Tasty Quinoa??

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Make up a Greek salad, mix in equal amounts of cooked quinoa. Perfect for travel as it doesn't need refrigeration for the day and it tastes great at room temperature.
  • zorrriii
    zorrriii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I boil mine in organic chicken broth, when it's almost done I put fresh chopped tomatoes and I season with garlic and a little bit of chili powder and salt and it reminds me of Mexican rice. So Good. :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this all week. If you like artichokes, you will love this dish. And it was really quick and easy to make with ingredients I already had on hand. http://ifoodreal.com/clean-eating-spinach-and-artichoke-quinoa-casserole/
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's pilaf was great

Quinoa - red
    Amaranth
    These were cooked together with a little salt

Then sautéed in olive oil about a cup of diced sweet onion and a cup of chopped yellow pepper

Then mixed the grains with the vegetables, added a cup of canned lentils and a cup of finely chopped purple kale (still have some in the garden...peeking up from the snow).

Went really nicely with the broiled salmon and spinach.
  • bgallo0819
    bgallo0819 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look on Pinterest .... Some great recipes there.... I like the quinoa burger recipes
  • rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Recipe for quinoa muffins

In a bowl mix the following:
    1. Prepared quinoa (microwave for 20 minutes 3 cups uncooked with 6 cups water- make sure to cover glass bowl or you're in for a hell of a mess)
    2. 2. Small Carton (8-10 ) tbsp liquid egg white - maybe a bit more depending on thickness of quinoa.
    3. 3. Add cinnamon and liquid stevia to taste (I use a LOT of both- a LOT- like batter is BROWN from cinnamon and you can smell the sweetness from stevia.)
    4. 4. Mix together for batter consistency then scoop into sprayed muffin tin
    5. Bake on 350/400 depending on your oven for half hour unless you like them crunchy burnt.

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    My opinion is there is no such thing as tasty quinoa!

I really really wanted to like it...
    I tried it cooked in various ways but no matter what you do to it, it still is just bird seed to me

lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    This is delicious - I add a can of drained black beans and sprinkle feta cheese crumbles on top.
    http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/08/quinoa-with-corn-tomatoes-avocado-lime.html
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Wolfena wrote: »
    My opinion is there is no such thing as tasty quinoa!

I really really wanted to like it...
    I tried it cooked in various ways but no matter what you do to it, it still is just bird seed to me

lol

I pretty much agree with you! I've tried various ways of cooking it, both savoury and sweet, and it was always dull at best. The only recipe I've actually liked was this one I made a couple of weeks ago...

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/veggie-quinoa-fried-rice/

...and even then I'm not sure I can be bothered to make it often. No one else in the family wanted it so I had to eat it for lunch four days running just to get rid of it! I think I'm burned out on quinoa for a while now...
  • DrowningInAbyss
    DrowningInAbyss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just eat it like rice and throw it into my oatmeal and baking <3
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
  • CherylNTexas
    CherylNTexas Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I cook it with chicken bouillon, then use it as a side with almost any meat I eat during the week.
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • lorinbc
    lorinbc Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I cook it as per instructions , add parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, a little onion and a couple of eggs. Make patties, freeze them and then fry or bake for breakfast with fried or poached eggs. Love these so much.
  • raw_key
    raw_key Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • smm4906
    smm4906 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Quinoa tabbouleh salad - lots of ideas for this at food.com. Costco makes a great one that includes mung beans - here's a link to that recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/costco-quinoa-salad-498147 (I just buy it in the deli section LOL!)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is the same as rice in taste to me. Bland. That's why whatever I do with rice I do with quinoa and I get much healthier, whole grain carbs. I eat alot of homemade stir fry and it goes great with that and in black bean burritos.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Enchilada quinoa casserole is a must. Sooo yummy. Some people stuff into a taco shell or tortilla. I just opt to eating in a bowl with some sour cream & guac.