How often to you weigh?

Options

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, I think it may have been mid November I last weighed myself.

I have been maintaining 6 years. At the beginning I weighed myself daily, after a few months I knew I was pretty stable so it went to weekly, this was when I stopped consistently logging daily too.

By the end of the first year I wasn't logging, but was weighing weekly, and weighing food for portion control.

Now I weigh when I feel I am gaining, or if the fancy takes me. I keep a 5 lb range that I have gone over once, and under twice, and don't weigh my food often. Portion control is working well.

Bottom line; weigh yourself as often as you are comfortable with

Cheers, h.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I weighed every 3 - 4 weeks. Since I've been in maintenance, I weigh myself roughly every 2 weeks. As long as I'm within my weight range, I feel good. When I'm above that, which I am currently due to overeating, I just adjust my intake and exercise accordingly. When I'm below my range (happened once), I just ate more. :D That was a fun period.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only weigh myself when I'm feeling slim.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing daily at the moment. Even with the number being where it is right now, Trendweight is fun to use and shows me the quick drop from other "blow outs".
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I pretty much only weigh myself when I'm feeling slim.

❤❤❤ big like
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    used to weigh myself a few times a day, now in maintenance I just check in monthly or so just to see that I am still within my acceptable window.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Since I'm playing with the ten day moving average weight spreadsheet (https://medium.com/technology-liberal-arts/the-data-diet-how-i-lost-60-pounds-using-a-google-docs-spreadsheet-80adce62cf5c#.aef9arj2f) at the moment, every day. Normally, once a week when actively attempting to lose weight. Maybe once a month to once a quarter when not.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to get over weighing myself daily. I'm actually glad I did, though, when I first started maintaining. It turned out that 1600 calories a day was too much for me. After a little adjustment, I hit on the right number of calories for me to shoot for.

I hardly ever weigh myself anymore, though. Once I figured out the number of calories I need to maintain, weighing myself became less important. I weigh maybe once a month now, after AF.
  • Katiedriss1
    Katiedriss1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weight my self every Friday morning
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself at the gym. Motivation to go!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I do it every morning BECAUSE of daily fluctuation. I know I'm going to bobble around. I stay in my range. If I weighed once a month, I'd worry about getting a particularly high or low day. Weighing every day, I know where I am and I don't think about it.
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I often weigh myself once every week at home, so I can prepare to change or keep plans if my goals aren't met!
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Never. I go by how my clothes fit.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Either never or everyday :-)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Once a week properly, where I record it on here.

Sometimes I'll check in and have a look in days during that week (fluctuations don't really bother me) but I don't log it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I do it every morning BECAUSE of daily fluctuation. I know I'm going to bobble around. I stay in my range. If I weighed once a month, I'd worry about getting a particularly high or low day. Weighing every day, I know where I am and I don't think about it.

I never thought of this as a reason to weigh in everyday, but it makes perfect sense.
  • reachingunder120
    reachingunder120 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every four days. Not for any particular reason, just because that's when I started wondering how much I weighed. Now I'm starting to weigh myself just on Sundays
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »

Same here. And sometimes if I don't get round to having breakfast for a while, I weigh again before breakfast. I find the way my weight changes fascinating, and keep a spreadsheet to keep track, even now I am maintaining (more-or-less - Christmas took its toll...).
  • PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Currently about once a week (in maintenance). During weight loss it was 4-5 times a week. I don't miss that near daily obsession but it helped with motivation and decision-making.