I LOVE food and HATE dieting. This is a really hard change.

Options
So when I say I love food, I LOVE FOOD. I get such a joy from eating. The hardest part about losing weight is the fact that I feel I have to be hungry all the time. Is there a trick to being able to eat the things I want to eat and not in microscopic-sized portions while trying to lose weight/maintain weight? The whole "life-style change" response may be true, but it's kind of annoying. Any foodies about there who still eat delicious regular sized meals without looking like a Oompa Loompa?

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well the simple truth is you simply can't eat the same foods in the same sizes as you used to and lose weight, something has to change.

Since you don't get along with the smaller serving sizes option, your only other choices are to change the food types you eat somewhat, doing things like switching from sugar to sweetener, to a lower fat milk / butter etc, just be sure to check the labels, some of these low fat items don't actually have that many fewer calories than the normal versions.

That's the minor version to shave a few calories here, and a few calories there, and have it all add up. The major version would be to make large 'like for like' substitutions like finding veggies you really like and have larger portions of those to fill you up along with some normal (for you) meat, half a plate of mixed veg is a whopping volume of food that represents great 'bang for your buck' calorie and micro nutrient wise.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ultrahoon has a good point, sometimes the small substitutions make a large difference.

The thing is if you want volume then a large quantity of your meal will have to be vegetables, weight for calorie they are the most bang for your buck. I also find cooking from scratch instead of buying packaged meals make a lot of difference in the calories vs volume debate.

I'm making a beef casserole for tonight and for quite a large portion it's around 500cal not including the dumplings. Dumplings add another 200kcal (we make suet dumplings in the UK and I can make 8 using the recipe so about 4 each) after that I will be properly stuffed. I also make things like chilli con care (466cal without rice), which I would cook rice with but I would happily forgo the rice for more chilli con carne.

Have a look for recipes online to make 'skinny versions' of your favourites I found one for chicken fajitas that would give you 2 for about 295cal, add avocado, salsa and sour cream and you have quite a large portion for around 500cal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I looked at my overall diet and found simple places to cut (I also love food and cooking, so kept lots of the taste with fewer calories). I also initially kept in a day to eat as I did -- mainly a restaurant meal.

IME, you can be full from low cal foods.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You can have a regular sized meal anytime you want, just know you'll need to keep your intake to a certain calorie limit to continue to maintain your current or future weight. So, if you're expecting to maintain a modern convenience food diet from wherever, as you're chewing and swallowing your bites, consider how much energy the whole meal is supposed to provide you. Think about whether you want to finish the whole thing right away or if it would be better for your lifestyle/activity to split your regular sized meal into multiple meals throughout the day.

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Try making small changes first. I quit eating bread and potatoes first at breakfast and later on completely. That's made a huge different in my calorie intake and helps a lot. Now I eat a lot more veggies with all my meals. When I go out I try to stick with broiled or grilled protein, steamed vegetables, and salads. I also have no self control and know this so unless I'm going to an event of sort I don't make large desserts. I've got a few recipes for simple single serve desserts I use to satisfy my sweet tooth. For me it's all about finding a balance between foods I like and foods that are healthy. It's not always easy but it can be done. Good luck.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As others have said, small substitutions can make a big difference. Reducing starchy carb serving sizes and switching to more veggies will give you a lot of bang for your calorie buck and you'll still be satiated. It's about making smart little choices in order to hit your goals and still be happy and not hungry.

Also be mindful not to have too aggressive a calorie goal. Sure you'll lose slower but you'll get to eat more, fit more of what you like into your daily allowance and lose less lean body mass.

Finally, exercise is a great way to "earn" more food. No you won't be able to eat a whole cake in one sitting but you could get a pretty generous slice! I've earned a whole bottle of prosecco if I want it today with my workout (and I consciously worked a little harder to hit that goal).

This doesn't have to be torture. I absolutely love food too but I still lost and I don't often feel deprived in any way. And the longer I do this the less I find I want to eat anyway, I can't shovel down nearly the same amount of food in one sitting as I used to be able to!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've found that what all those above are saying is right - however one think I've found is if I find new foods to eat, season them properly they are some of my favorite dishes. I've also found that those foods I thought I couldn't live without (fries, pizza to name a few) I rarely think about any more but you should know that I do still occasionally eat them. It is hard at first, but keep at it. Make small changes right now and realize this isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle change. Find what you can live with and go for it. It really is worth it
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am a huge foodie, and I did not restrict any food from my diet. But you have to know that it's all about calories in vs calories out. You can't eat big portions of food that has a lot calories, and you can't eat it all the time. It's all about how and when you eat what food. And if you want permanent change you have to make it your life style, not a diet. Getting started is hardest part, once you are really determined you will find a way to still be a foodie and live healthy and fit life :) Good luck!
  • michaelmelo
    michaelmelo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are ready to diet or make a life change.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd say 99% of the people here felt the same way you do now when we started (it's unfair, it's not something I want to do, who cares if I'm fat if I get to eat what I want, etc). They are all excuses that prevent you from achieving your goals. Drop the excuses. Experiment. Find something that works and stick to it.

This isn't a punishment. It's totally fair. Sometimes we do things we don't want to do (like an overnighter when studying for that big test because we want an A) to reach a goal.

To me, right now, it sounds like you just aren't ready. And that's ok. Take the time to get ready, then come back here and rock it. It works if you wrap your head around it, get in the game, WANT IT. It doesn't work if you don't care enough to see it through. It requires a ton of patience. It's not weeks, sometimes it takes years. It's hard sometimes. It's a challenge.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I dont think its about the op being ready or not ready, its just having the understanding that you dont have to give anything up or have to starve yourself to lose weight.

You do however have to reduce your intake, but dont make it too drastic. After sometime you may realise you didnt need to eat in vast quantities in the first place.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was where you are 3 years ago and finally decided to do it 2 weeks later, and I'm still here and I've been at a normal weight for 2 years.

The good news is that you don't have to give up everything. But you have to make choices and figure out what's really worth the calories for you, what isn't (for me, liquid calories), what you like that doesn't have a ton of calories (I like Greek yogurt with fruit, and apples, for example), and what you can still make tasty while cutting down on calories (with substitutions).

I don't agree with just making small changes, because doing that, I was just eating more of the 'healthier' options and still eating too much. I'd say, just start logging what you eat... you'll naturally figure things out - 'oh, wow, that was more calories than I thought and it wasn't even that good', or 'I really want a slice of pizza today, let's see what lower calorie breakfast I can have'.

Also, you don't have to pick the 'lose 2 pounds a week' setting. Seriously, 1 pound a week is just fine, and you won't feel as deprived.

Bottom line... You'll just have to think of what food you really want to eat every day and make better choices to make them fit. I still eat things I like, just not as often as I did, but I actually enjoy them more now.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Don't diet; eat a bit less. And eat the foods you like. That's actually the best solution.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    So when I say I love food, I LOVE FOOD. I get such a joy from eating. The hardest part about losing weight is the fact that I feel I have to be hungry all the time. Is there a trick to being able to eat the things I want to eat and not in microscopic-sized portions while trying to lose weight/maintain weight? The whole "life-style change" response may be true, but it's kind of annoying. Any foodies about there who still eat delicious regular sized meals without looking like a Oompa Loompa?

I also love food -probably more so now than when I begun my journey, but I'm very rarely hungry. What worked for me is finding high-volume substitutions for the calorie-dense food and making sure that I incorporate adequate protein and fat into my diet (fat is not the devil). Instead of regular pasta, I like making zucchini noodles (which gives me extra calories to put on lots of toppings). I like roasting butternut squash and carrots instead of eating sweet potato (sweet potato is the devil for my blood sugars). Instead of breading and frying chicken breasts, I coat the chicken in a crapton of spices and sear it on the skillet until the spices form almost a blackened crust.

What's important is finding out what foods YOU can't live without and what foods you might not mind substituting. I can never give up chocolate, but I found that I am more satisfied with 2 squares of super dark chocolate instead of a whole bar of milk chocolate (and save about 100 calories with this substitution). With that "calorie savings" I can then add 1-1.5 cups of fruit or 150g of Greek yogurt and have a satisfying bedtime snack (and would have consumed about 170-200g of food compared to only 43g if I ate the milk chocolate bar).
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I love to feel full...so I have found ways to eat a "regular" meal a little different by making healthy swaps. So instead of having lasagna...I might have meat sauce over a huge bowl of steamed veggies. Swapping beef/pork out for chicken/fish is great too because they aren't so calorie dense. Ricing cauliflower and broccoli and using it in place of steamed rice (AMAZING!). AND incorporate more spices into your food: My favorite is Hidden Valley Ranch Powder...and Cajun. They are delicious and kick every "bland" recipe I have up a notch to make it more satisfying. Healthy food should be delicious and filling, but it's up to you to make it that way.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I really can't relate to this post, sorry. I just don't get this mind-set. To me 'it's only food'... I can take it or leave it, it's nothing to get worked up about. I can appreciate that it must be hard for some people- and my advise would be to come to an acceptance that you don't HAVE to get your pleasure from food- maybe look for other sources of pleasure? Maybe that would make it easier.

For me personally if it were a choice between chocolate and shoes- I'd choose shoes everytime!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't do the moderation thing that tends to be very popular on here. Yes, you can eat the same foods-but the portions need to be smaller, and in some cases MUCH smaller. I have spent a lot of time in the grocery store, browsing up and down the aisles, looking at nutrition information, and trying NEW things that allow me to eat in high volume.
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helped me was eating large portions of vegetables as snacks between meals, even if I wasn't really all that hungry. It helps me to schedule my snacking so I don't get to the point where I feel hungry, that's when I fail. I really enjoy salad with regular dressing and grilled chicken, just make sure to measure it out. I was surprised that I was satisfied with what looked like too little of dressing and lots of lettuce or spinach has very few calories.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

"Regular sized meals" are apparently not true serving sizes. The sooner we all realize this, the better for each of us. You have to retrain yourself into knowing true serving sizes. It is definitely an eye opener.
    Only you can determine what is more important to yourself, and make that a priority. You can still have great tasting foods and lose/maintain your weight. The choice is up to each of us on what we want most.

BTW, as I remember it, the Oompa Loompa's were normal sized, at least some of them were. ;)

• chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Like others have said... substitutions are your friend... if you are honest with yourself it can work.

If I were you... I'd not change a thing about the way I eat and only log. Logging will show you how much you are actually taking in, then find your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and this will show you how much you can eat without gaining or how much you can eat and lose.

I cook for a boyfriend and a 3 year old so they get regular food, I end up eating a large amount of whatever protein I am serving and a small amount of the sides... this works for me, plus I'll drink a protein shake and that will help me get that full satisfied feeling.