I LOVE food and HATE dieting. This is a really hard change.

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I love food. I love to exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I REALLY love food and would be very miserable if I had to cut something I love out of my diet. I love variety, creativity, the way ingredients synergize in certain foods, I love the whole lot.

First thing I did was to cut out or extremely reduce the foods that I don't really like. No point wasting my calories on something that isn't awesome. I don't care for doughnuts, so that was the first thing to go and I don't even miss them. I like peanut butter, but meh, I don't care for it enough to justify the calories. Fruit juices are nice, but are not awesome if I compare how they taste to how hungry they leave me feeling after spending my calories on them. You get the idea. Once I cleared the non-awesome clutter from my diet I was ready for step two.

Substitution. I substituted for things that aren't too different in taste to me, but are lower in calories. Full cream milk became 1.5%, soda became diet soda, some of my sugar became splenda, chocolate became dark chocolate (it isn't lower in calories but I'm satisfied by less of it), I later discovered PB2 which was a valid replacement for peanut butter in my oatmeal.. and so on.

Reduce, bulk up and/or substitute. To be able to reduce foods from my usual gigantic portions to normal portions I had to bulk up my meals to make up for the portion reduction. This is easily done by introducing soups, salads, and all kinds of vegetables with my main meals. I like pizza margherita for example, and low fat cheese doesn't do it for me one bit. It has to be real pizza with real melty cheese and real dough. None of that cauliflower crust nonsense. I happen to like it thin crust so that's one thing it has going for it to begin with. For a meal I have two slices + a large arugula salad (I love it) + a large side of roasted green beans (also love them). That's a sizable 500 calorie meal, and that's with proper olive oil dressing and oil and garlic seasoned beans, that leaves me full for hours instead of eating the whole pizza (thin crust, remember?) for 900 calories like I used to do (plus sides). I still get to eat pizza, I still get to reduce my portion without feeling hungry, and I still get to feel satisfied physically and emotionally. Now for certain things substitutions work for me. My pasta doesn't have to be all pasta for me to enjoy it. I cut my usual amount by 1/3 to 1/2 and replace the other half with zucchini pasta. On top of that, I add other vegetables like broccoli and such. I love it this way. To go for broke I sometimes have a soup as a first course before the pasta, so my meal ends up being quite large and satisfying.

Creativity. No need to live on "bland diet food". Food doesn't have to be boring. It can have interesting flavor combinations even though it's lower in calories. For example, today I had oatmeal brulee. Cooked my oats as usual (I cook them with water, add splenda, then mix with milk), layered it with sugar free fruit spread and a bit of dry fruits, then topped it with a thin layer of brown sugar that I then torched. Heaven on earth for 350 calories! Oats tend to be one of the most filling foods for me so I also had that going for me.

Higher base calories and exercise calories. You don't have to live on 1200 calories. The difference between 1200 and 1400 is less than half a pound a week but it makes a huge difference in how you feel. Would you rather lose 0.4 extra pounds a week and be hungry or lose a little bit less but be happy? Now that 1400 can become 1600-1700 if you also exercise. That's plenty of calories to play with.

Bank. If I know I will need to go out and have a large dinner, I eat 150 calories less a day (15 extra minutes of walking + 100 less calories of eating) and that gives me about 1000 extra calories to spend on my dinner day, in addition to my base 1600-1700 calories.

• slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So when I say I love food, I LOVE FOOD. I get such a joy from eating. The hardest part about losing weight is the fact that I feel I have to be hungry all the time. Is there a trick to being able to eat the things I want to eat and not in microscopic-sized portions while trying to lose weight/maintain weight? The whole "life-style change" response may be true, but it's kind of annoying. Any foodies about there who still eat delicious regular sized meals without looking like a Oompa Loompa?

I have switched over to One Meal A Day, except for weekends. I still get all my cals and nutrition but I have it in one gigantic dinner. Lets me eat pretty much as much as I want for that meal and feel uber satisfied. I found naturally that I wasn't very hungry during the day but the sooner I started eating the more food I would eat.

I looooooooove food!!!!!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Almost two years ago, I started on my weight loss journey and this time it stuck (whereas previously I lost and gained all back and then some). This time I focused on making a lifestyle change as I hated the word "diet." And as a self-professed foodie, this time the journey took longer BECAUSE I did not want to deny myself of any food like I did in the past - because it never worked for long.

The first three months, I did not exercise but simply logged my steps with a fitbit and slowly started substituting things like oil and vinegar for bottled dressing (or making homemade form plain greek yogurt). I switched to coconut milk creamer instead of the flavored "fake" stuff from Coffeemate. Just little, but significant changes. I also started weighing and measuring my food. Now THAT was eye-opening. The first time I measured out a half cup of ice cream (the recommended serving size), I almost cried because it looked like such a pitiful amount.

I was trying to stick to a calorie goal and always felt hungry because if I indulged in pizza or some other calorie-laden food, I realized I could eat nothing for the rest of the day. Like another poster suggested, I found volumizing food ... what was healthy and could fill me up? The answer was salad, but not like I was making salad. I started picking all the colors of the rainbow for my salad: red leaf lettuce and romaine, purple cabbage, red/yellow/orange peppers, green onions, celery, carrots and whatever was seasonal like kale, butter beans, etc. It took some getting used to but now I love having salad almost every day and ALWAYS have it ready to go in the fridge for a quick bite to eat as well as for taking it to work for lunch. It was also easy to customize by switching veggies and even protein, adding whatever leftover meat from the dinner before on it.

It takes time and diligence to change your ways! I still eat candy bars, pizza, donuts, cookies and much more. However, I plan things out when I can, even if it is to tell myself: is eating that donut worth 30 minutes of cardio just to break even on those calories? Some days the answer is yes and I'll get a donut and some days, the answer is no. You cannot be accountable to anyone but yourself! In the end, it is a numbers game: CICO ...
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

@arditarose taught me bout shirataki noodles and they are now my new best friend - I eat them instead of spaghetti all the time.

ALSO, I totally creeped on your diary, and I know its the holiday's so it is not necessarily indicative. BUT- there are some easy and tasty swaps out there. I saw you had some buttery popcorn- and there are some really amazing low cal pop corns out right now with sea salt, or lightly sweet and salty for way fewer cals.

Also, I saw you make a breakfast sandwich- thin sliced bread is a good way to save cals on regular bread, OR, I started making breakfast tacos, on corn tortillas, the corn tortillas are my one bready allowance but it saves me over 100 cals compared to regular bread.

A big glass of orange juice is pretty darn calorie heavy. I would recommend eating a real orange, and a glass of water, or doing a half glass of orange juice with fizzy water in it, or switching to seltzer.

The little wheels of creamy cheese that have the little cheese triangles for 35 cals each, those are great because you can spread em and they're lower cal then a slice.

At the end of the day, you can't eat in exactly the same way and lose weight. I believe that you CAN outrun a bad a diet (I have) - but you literally have to be a manual laborer (as I was) or just exercising all day long.

I'm a volume eater. Big breakfast, light lunch, volumeous but low calorie dinner has been what works best for me.

It's also about making deals with yourself. Knowing your absolutes and the things you are willing to be flexible on or change. It is easy for me to give up alcohol, but I'll never give up eggs or white meat. You also find that your palette changes.

Using fresh herbs like basil, cilantro and mint have helped me add flair to lighter meals.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It was a lot of trial and error for me because I also love food, but I wanted to lose weight more. I did a lot of playing around with different substitutions and I stalked a lot of my friends' diaries. I have core foods I eat now that allow me to eat high volume but still within my calorie goal. Another thing that worked for me was intermittent fasting. I would rather have 2 large meals and a snack over 5 small meals a day. I don't eat til around 11am, snack at 3ish, dinner around 6 or 7 and I'm good and satiated. A cup of coffee in the am and lots of water during the day too.

I've been at this for 3 years; believe me when I (and everyone else here) say it's nothing that will happen overnight. I'm still learning new things. Good luck!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If you lose slowly, you'll get more calories.

I didn't cut out anything. Been there, done that & hated longing for things I "couldn't" have.

You can bank calories for big meals - just skip breakfast and/or eat lightly during the day.

It is a creative process and doesn't have to be miserable. Exercise earns more calories & feels great.

Listen to the people who say to have patience.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Figuring out you don't have to feel deprived or miserable to lose really is the key, IMO.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mistake #1 is considering it a diet

i love food. LOVE FOOD. my ex husband was a chef and i learned to cook from him. I dont know many people who are better cooks than I am. I eat what I want, and eat out all the time. I've lost 70 some pounds in the past year.

eat less. move more.

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

toe1226 wrote: »
    You also find that your palette changes.

@toe1226 isn't ^that^ the truth I recently bought some frosted flakes for the husband and decided to have a bowl myself remembering I loved them in the past, they were disgustingly sweet and I can honestly say I no longer like them!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    AHHHH yes....you and I are clones!! LOL. I am a total food addict. I've used it to deal with my emotions for YEARS. I hate that I feel like everybody else can lose weight but me. Like you said - tiny microscopic portions! UGH!!! There are tricks to the trade that do help. As much as I love Olive Garden salads (the salad dressing!), their Pasta Fagioli soup has a lot more fiber and protein and is more healthy than the salad because of all the fat and high-fructose corn syrup in the dressing. A bowl of soup on WW is 3 points. A bowl of salad is 5 points.

I call it choosing your doom. If you want a hamburger and fries, forego the bun. I LOVE QUESO - so I'll get a tiny queso at Don Pablo's and pick out the 8-10 chips out of the basket. Have some of the things you like, but in a way that you aren't bringing it home and having it in a somewhat ""controlled" environment.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Just reinforcing some of what has been said already. It's about finding a compromise about what you are prepared to change and what results you expect to achieve in exchange for that.

I've had a lot of issues with binge eating due to feeling deprived and I'm currently working my way through those issues. My calories are currently 2000 a day (a very slight deficit ) and the only exercise I do is walking every day. I know I'm not going to lose much if anything doing this, but I'm not binging, I'm not gaining and I'm teaching myself how to eat sensibly again before I go back into a bigger deficit.

I eat what I want within my calories. I found swaps for things, like buying kids meals if I eat out.

I've accepted this is a long, slow work in progress and I may well never get to the size I once dreamed of being. I made a deal with myself that I'm not prepared to ever eat less than 1800 cals a day ever again and I will accept what results this gives me.

Doing something is better than doing nothing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mistake #1 is considering it a diet

i love food. LOVE FOOD. my ex husband was a chef and i learned to cook from him. I dont know many people who are better cooks than I am. I eat what I want, and eat out all the time. I've lost 70 some pounds in the past year.

eat less. move more.

Yup -- love this post.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    I call it choosing your doom. If you want a hamburger and fries, forego the bun.

That sounds so sad. :'(

• amusedmonkey
    edited December 2015
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I call it choosing your doom. If you want a hamburger and fries, forego the bun.

Maybe that's how she likes her burgers. Personally I eat the hamburger for the bun so this is not an option for me. I just like the way the meat and fillings make the bun taste. When I have a burger I do the average 250 calorie ones coupled with a rich cream of mushroom soup and rosemary roasted potatoes (about a cup) plus a diet 7Up. That's about 600 calories and is totally manageable for a person with a reasonable calorie base. Heck, it's even manageable for the typical 1200 calorie diet if breakfast and lunch were to be chosen carefully. No bun skipping necessary. I consider both cream of mushroom soup and potatoes very filling (and craving worthy I might add).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try to reduce your calories more gradually. This will give your palate and body more time to adjust. It is easier to adapt to smaller changes, say 250 less than before, than plunging into a 1000 cal per day deficit.

The reality is that most of us cannot eat whatever we want in whatever quantity we want and achieve & maintain the weight we want. Something has to give, and the sooner you come to terms with that, the sooner you will be successful. There might be some foods or way of eating foods that you DO need to give up because they trigger cravings or you cannot get them in small enough portions to work within your calorie goals. For example, I used to make refrigerator cinnamon rolls on the weekends. A can makes 8 biscuits. This is just way too much for 2 people, regardless of whether I eat it in a day or a week. I can't make them last week, it's not as tasty, and it still adds too many calories to my week without the satiety and nutrition I prefer. I can't buy a package of 1 or 2 cinnamon rolls. I might be able to get them at the bakery, but they are HUGE, again not within my calorie goals. The ones you can get at restaurants are even bigger, like a whole day's calorie allotment. So I just don't have them any longer.

This is not the end of the world. It just depends on which you want the most, the food or the weight loss. There are worse things than not having cinnamon rolls, or whatever.
    67388953.png
  • vivmom2014
    Options

Maybe that's how she likes her burgers. Personally I eat the hamburger for the bun so this is not an option for me. I just like the way the meat and fillings make the bun taste. When I have a burger I do the average 250 calorie ones coupled with a rich cream of mushroom soup and rosemary roasted potatoes (about a cup) plus a diet 7Up. That's about 600 calories and is totally manageable for a person with a reasonable calorie base. Heck, it's even manageable for the typical 1200 calorie diet if breakfast and lunch were to be chosen carefully. No bun skipping necessary. I consider both cream of mushroom soup and potatoes very filling (and craving worthy I might add).

Well yeah, but "choosing your doom"??

• amusedmonkey
    Options

Well yeah, but "choosing your doom"??

Yep, that part was weird. If diet feels like doom, it's not gonna last long. Muscling your way through it will only get you so far and leave you unhappy.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

While I agree it's sad, I am trying to change my mind set to thats the way it is.

Either I limit the amount of calories or I remain overweight. I am going to have to limit the amount of calories I consume even when I want to maintain weight. I will just have a little more calories to spend.

OP, I try to spend my calories the most filling and delicious ways possible. In the beginning it was much harder as I was used to eating however much in volume and whatever I wanted. I am still adjusting to the smaller portions but it is better a few months in. I try not to be hungry but so far I seem to be hungry a few days a week. I don't see anyway around that while needing the deficit. I drink water and walk to try and combat it along with eating filling foods. Reading and crocheting or cross stitch can distract me.

My next reward is to buy new dishes. The set I have picked out has smaller dinner and salad plates. Smaller plates may be helpful psychologically. If not, they will still look lovely when I set the table.
  • lisamarie290
    lisamarie290 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a good amount to lose and so I know I have to make changes that are going to work for the long term. I agree with the great suggestions already made in this discussion, but would like to add that planning ahead is really important. You won't stick to healthier eating if you feel you'll never get to enjoy your favorite foods again. I've been using MFP for about 3 months now, and I've lost nearly 30 pounds, which is good progress for me. When I really crave a favorite food, I plan my day around it. You can balance what you eat in other meals to accommodate that special food you love. I'm also learning about food/nutrition by using the food diary and seeing what I'm consuming in terms of fat, protein, sodium, carbs, and so on when my focus in the past used to be solely on calories, which really isn't the whole story. I've had some revelations (like what on EARTH are fast food restaurants putting in a cheeseburger to make it 1,000 calories, LOL) and I completely agree with the comment that was made about home cooking yielding bigger portions of food that is tastier when compared to fast food and processed, pre-packaged food. I'm becoming a better cook as a result, and I'm even learning to like fruits and vegetables, which were never high on my list of favorite things.

One last bit of advice is to log everything you put in your mouth using the food diary. It is particularly important to do so when you have "messed up" and really don't want to record all you've eaten. I force myself to be honest and record it, because it's interesting to see the effect that off days have on your weight control/weight loss pattern. I overdid the goodies a bit over Christmas, but knew I was going to allow myself to indulge a bit, but being honest about it allowed me to get right back on track and the impact wasn't as great as I worried it might be. The important thing is to avoid getting into a pattern of bad habits, and being honest with yourself is key. My habit in the past was to go completely off the rails after a few days of eating too much and I've learned not to do that now, which I think will make a positive difference long term.

Happy New Year to all, and let's be kind to each other!