The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    We have plants/trees budding. I don't have any early flowers. But its not uncommon for all that to freeze this time of year. Today was 77, overnight low was 35.

I have my first ever group run in the AM! I'm nervous. I just keep think of it like a race. I just hate that I'll have too keep up and am not sure I can. I seem to be having GI issues. Self diagnosis is runner's colitis, or its NSAID's, or wheat.

My leg hurts. I feel like a baby. Ya know I can not walk without a limp/pain and I continue to run... I'm in a weird place.

I'm sure I'll feel better after tomorrows run and coffee. Love self doubt.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I had my first group run 3 days ago and I was thinking some of the same things. It turned out pretty good though. I saw another guy who looked like he also came by himself and just started chatting and then we ran together. He was normally a faster runner than I was but said he was actually grateful for having to slow down. I think there's an understanding you can't expect slower runners to speed up but faster runners can certainly slow down. Any runner really concerned about maintaining a minimum pace would be better served running by themselves.

I enjoyed it enough that I'm going to join a group of local trail runners tomorrow for a winter trail run.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Off for my first parkrun shortly... Wearing some running shorts that I made.. Haven't tested them out yet though so this could be a real disaster about to unfold :lol:
    A public test run in a park. Brave girl. Hope you didn't forget the elastic.
    Off for my first parkrun shortly... Wearing some running shorts that I made.. Haven't tested them out yet though so this could be a real disaster about to unfold :lol:
    A public test run in a park. Brave girl. Hope you didn't forget the elastic.

They worked a treat!!! I'll be making s***tloads of these now ha-ha

Forgot to turn my Garmin off! I think iIran the 5k in 30:06.. Will have to see what the Parkrun Timer says.. They send out an email apparently..
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.6 miles—street run given the snow and ice on sidewalks. excellent run at 25 F.
    1/2 elliptical day, no run
    1/3 10.2 — excellent run, slow pace 11:45. But pain in the heels and achilles afterwards. got better with ice treatment!
    1/4 elliptical day, no run
    1/5 rest day
    1/6 6.5 — ran in 28 degree weather. starting to feel 30 degree weather might be pushing it too warm for comfort My heels, which bothered me after my last run (stretched, iced, and rested) held up quite nicely during today’s run. i guess i should just recognize that every time i push myself a bit more on distance or on speed, i should expect some pain if not planned well enough and if not done in a gradual way.
    1/7 3.64 — the run was okay at 10:30 per mile, but the roads were slippery because of some freezing rain. icing helps a great deal with the pain. I still have some pain in my achilles, but doing much better everyday. I took it easy though.
    1/9 6.11 —nice group run while snowing lightly!
    1/10 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/11 4.31 — 6 degree weather @10:50
    1/12 crosstraining—elliptical
    1/13 5.08
    1/14 3.14 — have to say, those compression socks rock! first time user, wow! Did s half hour of elliptical too!
    1/15 cross training—elliptical training for 90 minutes. That was good!
    1/16 6.08 —
    1/17 4.32 — coldest miles ever. It was 0 degrees and -20 with windchill. I forgot who mentioned this a couple of days ago, but it is really true: most of what we think we’re unable to do (not everything of course and I recognize different people have different abilities), but most of what we think we cannot do has to do with the mental games we play in our own heads. I would have never imagined walking, let alone running, in a windchill weather like this one!
    1/18 — rest day.
    1/19 6.3 — nice run, in new shoes, in the dark and cold. Ah, so relaxing. I do think I am becoming a runner because I came home without a plan to run, work was really busy, but I just could not sit still before I running. I not only missed it, but actually needed it to relax!
    1/20 4.22 — nice easy run (11 minute/mile), cold but bearable, and clear sidewalks. it was a really good run.
    1/21—rest
    1/22 4.20 — great run in the cold and snow! beautiful.
    1/23 cross training—elliptical for today
    1/24 6 miles. 3.5 with my neighborhood group and 2.5 by myself! Okay, now I am over my monthly run, I did decide from the very beginning to make up for the lost miles in December, so, that’s good!
    1/28 5.64
    1/29 4.07

85.43/70
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Congrats @rune1990!! That first big successful run can really change things! I think that's my favorite moment to hear other people reach.

@7lenny7 - Do a slow change on your calorie intake. Don't just change all at once. About 100 calories every few days worked for me when I had to do something similar. When logging miles for a full you don't want to feel more hungry than necessary.

@ceciliaslater - Hope you heal up quickly!

@Elise4270 - Hope the pain and GI issues are just simply passing issues. :lol: Good luck with the group run if you decide to go.

@Becky_44 - I hope you are right about spring being around the corner. I am nuts about the spring time (even with allergies).

@dennie24 - I get weird results when my HRM battery gets low. You're probably right about needing new ones.

I've had some slight muscle pain in my groin noticed on a couple recent strength days and yesterdays long run. So I skipped my strength day today. Hopefully tomorrows long run will go smoothly.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options

They Survived - Thought we might have to pass a hat to collect some Get Out of Jail Money for you due to a Wardrobe Malfunction.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - love the medal and bib.
    One thing that is worse than being between a rock and a hard place is being between a snowplow and an electric fence.

Yikes.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 I don’t think I would like to be between a snow plow and an electric fence, either. I guess your profile picture indicates the gesture you might be giving the snow plow driver.

@rune1990 congrats on running your first 5km! 37 mins is a great time for your first one!

@ceciliaslater that is some bruise! And pops are positively alarming! Does it feel ok now that it popped back into place?

@7lenny7 glad you worked out your calorie burn. These Garmins are smart, aren’t they? I have the Forerunner 220, too (in the purple). And that is sweet about the replacement shoes! My husband should have sent his last new pair of Asics back, along with the toenails they took off! I bought the shoes for him for his birthday, the same size he always wears, but they had discontinued his model, so I bought the next closest model that was recommended to me, and it turned out that they were a bit smaller in the toe box, because they bruised his big toe nails, and then of course, the toe nails fell off. It had never happened to him before. I felt really bad, and will never buy him running shoes again.

@Virkati that’s great you’re already getting relief from the physio treatment.

@Stoshew71 Wow - you killed your monthly goal! Super running.

@shanaber good luck with trying not to party too much at your conference before your HM! I find laying off the drink hard when I am away for work, too.

@Elise4270 I share your fear of running with a group. I always worry I will be too slow and they will have to slow down for me, and so I just avoid the whole issue and continue to run by myself. Running by myself fits better with my life anyway - I can run at whatever time suits me straight from my door, with my music, without having to schedule extra time to drive wherever the run starts from, and then talk to people before running. I will tell a story, though, to ease your mind about being too slow. (It's just a short story.) When I ran my second half marathon, I started a long way back, and ended up passing several runners from the local running group during the race, which means I was running faster than them! I was a bit stoked about that. However, it still didn't make me join the group, although I have looked at the FB page a few times. I'm not ruling it out, it's just another thing I don't want to have to worry about right now. And I hope your leg feels better soon.

19.1 km long run this morning @ 7.44 min/km; Av HR 139; max HR 153. Another hot, humid run. I got out the door at 4.45am, and it was already 26C with 92% humidity. Lucky it was a bit overcast so I didn’t have the sun beating down on me on the way back. It was dark when I started, so I took my head lamp, and turned it off after about 4 km when it got light. I did feel like a bit of a goose running with a headlamp on my head, in the broad daylight, for another 15km passing all the other Saturday morning runners and cyclists, but no one pointed and laughed, so all good.

1 Jan 13.4 km (long run)
    2 Jan Rest
    3 Jan 6.3 km
    4 Jan 5.4 km
    5 Jan Rest
    6 Jan 8.3 km
    7 Jan 5.3 km
    8 Jan Rest
    9 Jan 15.3 km (long run)
    10 Jan Rest
    11 Jan 6.1 km
    12 Jan 8.3 km
    13 Jan 6.15 km
    14 Jan 6.15 km
    15 Jan Rest
    16 Jan 10.4 km (cutback week)
    17 Jan Rest
    18 Jan 6.16 km
    19 Jan 6.18 km
    20 Jan 10.03 km
    21 Jan 6.15km
    22 Jan Rest
    23 Jan 18.28 km (long run)
    24 Jan Rest
    25 Jan 6.16 km
    26 Jan 10.05 km
    27 Jan Rest
    28 Jan 6.14 km
    29 Jan 6.16 km
    30 Jan 19.1 km (long run)
    31 Jan Rest

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I would feel nervous as well, but it will be nice to meet some people locally who run. I found out that the HM I am running next week has a bunch of pacers. The other one I ran didn't have any pacers. My friend backed out of running this with me, so I may try to join one of the pace groups. I think... unless I chicken out.

@michable - I'm with you on the heat/humidity at 4:30 in the morning. But usually it's nice in Florida in the winter. This year...too hot. Can't imagine what summer will bring! I've had the same thing happen when I leave in the dark with all my lights and then finish in daylight.

@7lenny7 - that's great on the Asics. I have a new pair of that same type. Only got 40 miles on them so far. Still debating whether I should wear my Brooks, Asics or Sauconys for my HM next weekend. Thinking the Asics are too new to risk.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I'm totally in to the pace group. I ran a 10k that overlapped with a HM group, and I hung with a pace group for the mental boost and it was super.

I really need to refocus, and push a little during the run. Especially, if its a once a week group. But I really worry that I am pushing outside my limits with this chronic injury.

@7lenny7 That's nice that it worked. I guess even if I am the slowest, and they break off, it won't be a big deal. I'm a big girl.. I'll still have a nice run. (Even though it road and I run trails, or even though I'm fat, and injured and wah wah wah... LOL!) I'm a dorkus... :blush:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - I really enjoy running with pace groups. Generally the pace leaders do most of the chatting to help people along, so you don't need to feel like you need to speak or anything. Every groip I've been in was really fun and I found myself really chatty, which is somewhat unlike the normal me "in person". Online I can chat up a storm though...
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    January Goal—will try for 140 km, half marathon Feb 7 and I’m behind in my training

1/6—3.89 km or so…first run after being sick…still congested and a bit sick
    1/7—3.40 km—still feeling icky so keeping it short. Just ran around my complex
    1/8—5.29 km..about to kill my lungs. Sick of the congestion
    1/9—5.01 km
    1/10—10.48 km-
    1/12—4.55 km skipped 1/11 due to it being cold and rainy
    1/13—3.64 km
    1/14—5.14 km
    1/17—3.30 km after a weekend away
    1/18—3.22 km
    1/19—5.09 km
    1/20—5.01 km
    1/22—5.something km…the run tracker messed up again and my watch measured almost 1 km shorter than my phone gps
    1/23—15.66 km of cold rainy windy raw temps
    1/24—5.01 km
    1/26—3.2km
    1/27—decided i like sleep more than running in cold, windy, rainy raw weather. Went to Zumba at night
    1/30—10.56 km…first time running in days. It finally stopped being raw, cold, rainy and windy.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @michable it's still a little sore, but definitely not anything like it was yesterday. I think it'll be OK. Husband is pushing me to go to the doctor again. May do that next week...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks @michable I see everyone is doing good and only a couple days left in the month.

Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05
    1/9 15 miles - 73.05
    1/10 REST DAY
    1/11 9.5 miles - 82.55
    1/12 11.15 miles - 93.7
    1/13 6.2 miles - 99.9
    1/14 10 miles - 109.9
    1/15 5.75 miles - 115.65
    1/16 15 miles - 130.65
    1/17 REST DAY
    1/18 10 miles - 140.65
    1/19 10 miles - 150.65
    1/20 5.75 miles - 156.40
    1/21 10 miles - 166.40
    1/22 4.6 miles - 171
    1/22 3.75 miles - 174.75
    1/23 16.5 miles - 191.25
    1/24 REST DAY
    1/25 10.1 miles - 201.35
    1/26 10 miles - 211.35
    1/27 6.3 miles - 217.65
    1/28 10 miles - 227.65
    1/29 4.65 miles - 232.3 (will do another run tonight)
    1/29 5 miles - 237.3

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Tuesday: 4.5 mile trail run, 2.8 miles on the road
    FRiday: 10 miles trail

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    No run today but 12 km of walking around Town and 2 hours on the Ice at the Local Curling Rink.
    Scheduled for a Big Ugly run tomorrow Commonly referred to as 4 Hells ( or 4 Hills for the more politically correct) My plan is to do 2 Hells as this is my last long run before my HM next Weekend so the Taper Begins.
    I have come to the conclusion that a secondary reason for the Taper is to prevent an injury in that final week where you don't have enough time to Heal/Recover.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

They Survived - Thought we might have to pass a hat to collect some Get Out of Jail Money for you due to a Wardrobe Malfunction.

Ha-ha!!! Lucky I'm nearly finished my cert in Dressmaking.. But in saying that I was worried they would fall down or chaf the crap out of my legs. Glad neither happened! :lol:
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    5 and a bit miles today, including 5k at parkrun. 81/60 for the month.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    My husband should have sent his last new pair of Asics back, along with the toenails they took off! I bought the shoes for him for his birthday, the same size he always wears, but they had discontinued his model, so I bought the next closest model that was recommended to me, and it turned out that they were a bit smaller in the toe box, because they bruised his big toe nails, and then of course, the toe nails fell off. It had never happened to him before. I felt really bad, and will never buy him running shoes again.

I thought losing toe nails was a badge of something for us....
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 5k
    3/1 - 7k
    5/1 - 1k walk
    6/1 - 3k
    7/1 - 2.5k
    9/1 - 7k
    10/1 - 5k intervals
    12/1 - 2k walk
    13/1 - 1k
    14/1 - 5k
    16/1 - 7k
    17/1 - 5k
    18/1 - 1k
    21/1 - 6k
    23/1 - 8k
    24/1 -6k
    25/1 - 1k fastest ever
    26/1 - 2k not as fast as 1k but fastish
    27/1 - 4k
    30/1 - 7k

85.5/80

Yay! Hit my target (even if I don't could my 3k walking that I had added just in case). Been a crazy couple of days on here - fab first 5k's done @rune1990 , lots of injuries. I hope everyone recovers quickly @Virkati @ceciliaslater . Only ran outdoors 1 weekend and was already bitching this morning that I had to use the treadmill as it was icy out. I might be getting this now.

exercise.png