anybody else here quitting smoking, drugs, or alcohol as part of their fitness journey?

Options
If so...lets be friends!
Or if there is a subforum could someone please direct me to it?

Thanks!

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Been Clean off drugs a year on January 26th. Giving up smoking this evening!
  • bigplantnerd
    bigplantnerd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Rock on rob! I quit smoking last month...and started again
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Smoking is by the worst one man, I've had to give up a lot over the journey but smoking is my biggest killer!
  • bbb15
    bbb15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am!
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    Yeah! Is there a group here for these sorts of things I wonder? Support is invaluable I've learned from my past quits from all of the above.
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    And it is such a huge part of fitness. Clean bodies, clean minds, we can do great things! I feel I have always failed at making strong, lasting changes in diet and fitness due to my substance abuse problems. Cardio as a smoker? Psssht. Dropping the belly when you're pounding 10 beers a night? Lol. Hitting the gym when it feels as if your brain has been replaced with broken glass? Not on your life.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I agree man, but just off the record, going gym buzzed on mdma Wass a good experience ;)
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Smoking is the only thing I quit...
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    It always is in the moment. Those moments tend to fade into the "well hey if I only eat eggs then I can totally fit this fifth of vodka into my diet plan! See! It's just carbs! Carbs are carbs right! Yeah I'm a genius!" (said with red eyes, in a completely manic state, after doing 100 crunches and smoking two packs of smokes the day before).
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    Ghost, that is wonderful!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Love this ^^
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking July 2012 cold turkey and haven't turned back once. It is honestly a constant struggle to not start up when anything stressful happens, when I am drinking (which is rare), when I go to a bar (which is more rare), when I am around certain people... but it will forever be a part of my lifestyle change.
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    Clobern, I know it all to well. I had one long quit, darn near a year...all it took was one. Stay strong!
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    On the awesome side, I got back into the gym this week and took all of my "vice money" (yes, that is actually a line in the family budget :( and socked it into a trainer. That woman whupped me, just shy of beating me about the face and neck with the bands. Now I'm too broke and broken to buy party supplies. Fresh box of patches on the counter, lots of lemonade supplies, its on!!!
    Even when the panthers are in the playoffs :) all in for my 30 days.
  • bigplantnerd
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've worked in landscaping for 17 years and thought I was tough...oh how wrong I was. Jeez, I could only plank for 75 seconds! Blech!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    We had a "vice money" line in the budget, too. We quit drinking, smoking and drugs in November due to recognizing that it was a problem, not for fitness. But that said, it's really helped me drop a few more stubborn pounds, and now I want to get more exercise. And my boyfriend isn't so mean. Yay!
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    Cool Katie! Has it been tough as hell or do you feel like a million bucks?
  • hairgoddess55
    hairgoddess55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes tonight's the night no more cigs. Wanted to but have to before I have oral surgery on Jan 13. Getting implants and pretty new choppers so why do I wanna stain them up? *kitten* they're costing me 20k and I'm making payments like a car payments. $200 a month I save not smoking is half the loan payment.
    And yes I'm reminding myself of just a few of the reasons to quit that are personal to me, along with all the generally good for everyone reasons!
  • bigplantnerd
    Options
    That's it right there goddess. You will be so delighted with that gorgeous new smile!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Cool Katie! Has it been tough as hell or do you feel like a million bucks?

I didn't realize how much I was drinking. Probably the equivalent to 5+ drinks a day? I don't know - I'd drink hard alcohol straight out of a glass without measuring. It's been hard, but not having alcohol in the house has helped. I can go out, have a glass of wine, and it's a finite amount. I can't just decide to drink a whole bottle of rum at a restaraunt. I could at home. I do feel better. My stomach isn't upset all the time. I don't feel guilty all the time. I make better choices around food.

I didn't smoke, so that wasn't a big deal. My boyfriend has had a middling amount of difficulty with quitting smoking, and a fair hard time quitting drinking. But he's done it, and I am proud of him.

We did participate in some herbals. I used it help me sleep, boyfriend was just chronic. He's cut it down to about one puff a week with his friends.

He's not sure if he really wants to start working out, but I'm hopeful he will want to. When I met him, he was a strong sturdy mechanic. He broke his neck shortly after (and ripped off one eyelid... Yay drinking at stag parties!), and so he's had to work a lot to get the mobility back I his left arm. He's not been working as a mechanic since then, so the rest of him has atrophied as well. Don't get me wrong - I love him and he's still as hot as hell, but I know that he doesn't feel as good about himself, and that he'd like to be stronger again. I'll just reap the sweaty beautiful rewards of him feeling better about himself ;)