5:2 Fast Diet

Options
Is anyone following this method of eating?

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'll be giving it a go starting the 4th. My class schedule for the coming semester aligns for it and it won't interfere with my training for a competition come spring. I'm curious if it could enhance my supplemental training and weight loss.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I tried it last year and I couldn't do the 500 calorie days. It was too much for me.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have played around with some different types of fasting. I find the 500 calories easier to handle if I eat all of the calories within a couple of hours.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    What's the usual calculation for this? Ie how much do you usually eat on "normal" day and how much on a "fast" day. Ie what calculation do you use to find your normal day of eating that's tailored for you? I see the fast days are generally 500 calories but surely the normal days are dependent on your height, build etc
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think a "normal" day is supposed to be maintenance. A "fast" day is 500 cal. It's not a proper fast, just severe caloric restriction. I sort of did this except my 2's were 24 hour fasts instead of 500 calorie days.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yep. Like the above poster said, you eat at your maintenance 5 days per week, and 500 calories on any 2 (preferably non-consecutive) days.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Cool, just interested as this may work for me on the weeks where I'm travelling for work / business conferences etc.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I personally can not do it. My body doesn't like it. On the restrictive days, I used to go light headed and fell generally very unwell. I knew that enough was enough when I passed out and hit my head on the floor. Worried my OH to death.

That said, I know people who have massive success on it (my mom being one). She follows the Venus Factor diet.
    Whether or not it is a good, healthy way to lose weight, I don't know but she has lost about 56lb so far.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    elsinora wrote: »
    What's the usual calculation for this? Ie how much do you usually eat on "normal" day and how much on a "fast" day. Ie what calculation do you use to find your normal day of eating that's tailored for you? I see the fast days are generally 500 calories but surely the normal days are dependent on your height, build etc

"Normal" days are your maintenance, and yes it will vary by weight, height, age and gender. Find a TDEE calculator (Scooby's Workshop is good). TDEE is short for total daily energy expenditure.

There are a couple groups with lots of info

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

500 calories is too low for me also. But I do like to zig-zag my calories so I can relax on the weekend.
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I lost 18 kilos with the 5;2 so I love it!!! Sometimes I did 4;3. Now I am at maintenance. I love the flexibility. I even lost a pound over Christmas!! To maintain I do a mix of low days and high days calorie wise. I am at it nearly 2 years now. I tried every other diet and none worked. 5;2 is all about calorie restriction, but you can work it to suit your lifestyle, and no food is forbidden. I plan to do it for the rest of my life!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I did the math, and at 5 days x 2000 calories + 2 days at 600 calories= 11,200 calories. . . . which averages out to 1,600 calories per day.

I'll take the 1,600 calories per day, thank you.
  • skinnyjeansandstretchmarks
    Options
    I am interested in 4:3 - I think it would work really well for me
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    elsinora wrote: »

A normal day is the amount of calories it would take to maintain your current weight (reevaluate every 5-10 lbs you lose). A fast day is 500 cals for women, 600 for men, or slightly more if you work out (which I don't at all recommend; use fast days as rest days).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had great success with it. I've tinkered with it myself. The 500 cal days aren't that bad if you plan ahead and make a good filling meal. If choosing the right foods, you can be satiated quite well.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I did the math, and at 5 days x 2000 calories + 2 days at 600 calories= 11,200 calories. . . . which averages out to 1,600 calories per day.

I'll take the 1,600 calories per day, thank you.

*shrug* 5:2 is just another way to create a calorie deficit. If you dont like it, then don't do it.
  • missball
    missball Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've only been at it a week now and still very much ironing out the creases. My mother lost a good few stone through it and I'm hoping to do the same to get backlk down to a healthy weight. My first fast day was a lot more comfortable than this one, but I'm ending up between 550 and 700 so far to avoid passing out or being sick, so figured I'd keep trying until I find a formula that works and get more used to it. Surely that's better than going full throttle straight away and being put off.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I started last year on 5:2 and loved it! I still utilize it occasionally....like if i know i have a packed weekend coming up where i will eat alot or something.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but it wasn't for me. My maintenance days quickly became surplus days. I had much better success with Intermittent Fasting 16:8
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I did it for a couple months when my schedule got wonky & made dinner really stressful Mondays and Thursdays. It was so much easier & a relief to stop eating after a 3pm snack and just not worry about it. If I ate high fiber & high protein the day prior, I was literally still digesting yesterday's food and felt just fine on the "fast" days. Normal workouts. All good. The day following was more challenging for me. I would get kinda crashy and crave protein like a monster around dinner, but was usually feeling normal by bedtime. When my schedule changed, I went back to a normal eating pattern.

Some people who have an eating window of 6 or 8 hours per day call that IF, too. I'm not hungry early in the day, so that works great for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I could easily do 16:8 IF, probably even 18:6 - no way I'd even contemplate the 5:2. 500 calories a day would be a recipe for absolute misery (for me, anyway).

For anybody contemplating it explicitly for the purposes of "jump starting" or "enhancing" your weight loss, it's no more or less effective than eating at a straight deficit every day. Meal timing/frequency is irrelevant for weight loss and the body doesn't work on a 24-hour clock. Weight gain/loss is a continual, open process - the body doesn't pause at midnight, tally calories for the day and decide whether to put on or lose weight. If it works for you in terms of satiety/adherence/workout performance, cool - nothing wrong with it. But if not, there's no need to subject yourself to it in hopes that it's going to make you lose weight any faster.