Options
2»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I could easily do 16:8 IF, probably even 18:6 - no way I'd even contemplate the 5:2. 500 calories a day would be a recipe for absolute misery (for me, anyway).

For anybody contemplating it explicitly for the purposes of "jump starting" or "enhancing" your weight loss, it's no more or less effective than eating at a straight deficit every day. Meal timing/frequency is irrelevant for weight loss and the body doesn't work on a 24-hour clock. Weight gain/loss is a continual, open process - the body doesn't pause at midnight, tally calories for the day and decide whether to put on or lose weight. If it works for you in terms of satiety/adherence/workout performance, cool - nothing wrong with it. But if not, there's no need to subject yourself to it in hopes that it's going to make you lose weight any faster.

Yes, I forgot to add that. It made no difference whatsoever in my weight. That was total weekly calories, no matter how they came in.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Men get 600 calories a day, not 500, which always makes me a bit jealous watching my husband eat his "extra" bit of food. ;)

I've been doing it for about a month. I'm down 5 pounds, my husband is down 7. I eat 2 meals on fast days, a small brunch (150 cals) and a larger dinner (350). Generally protein and vegetables, because I don't like to waste calories on carbs (on fast days, I eat them on the regular days). It has been very easy to follow and I think this is the long term way of eating I can stick with forever.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 with zero days instead of 500. Its easier for me to be in compliance at zero than at 500. I'm not prone to headaches or irritability or low blood sugar so it works well. Fast days are non-gym days and we run errands, tend house, catch up on school work or chores. I rarely burn over 1800 on fast days. I just take it easy and stay busy. Whether you do 500 or true fast, MAKE SURE you stay hydrated.
  • Working2BBetter
    Working2BBetter Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've been living 5:2 for 30 months. I prefer keeping 3 meals a day. Works for me. Fast days ain't so bad once you get used to it. It's resisting the urge to eat everything in the house the next day that is the kicker...

I did a lot of research before starting this and decided to do it because the overall health benefits, not the weight loss.

Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I tried it last year and I couldn't do the 500 calorie days. It was too much for me.

Same here! :)

My first 500 calorie day left me feeling pretty weak and headachey and I never really wanted to try again. It certainly isn't for everyone but I have known a few people to have success with it. It won't hurt giving it a try and seeing you get on!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I tried it last year and I couldn't do the 500 calorie days. It was too much for me.

Same here! :)

My first 500 calorie day left me feeling pretty weak and headachey and I never really wanted to try again. It certainly isn't for everyone but I have known a few people to have success with it. It won't hurt giving it a try and seeing you get on!

It usually takes about 4 or so fast days to get used to it. All the negative symptoms disappear for me at that point and I'm left with relaxing fast days and a nicer calorie allowance on non-fast days.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've done it and it works. Having a history of some pretty unhealthy and very restrictive eating habits, it actually worked pretty well for me as I got results and I wasn't thinking about restricting/fasting all the time. I ring fenced my two days and was able to just get on with it.

The only issue I found was if I had a 500 calorie day up to two days before or the first day of my period, I would actually not be able to function...at all.

I think the trick is to not go insane on the other 5 days...like eat just a normal maintenance amount. Dont go to a buffet every day, like.

Edited to add: if I'm having a manic day on fast days and wont get home til later, I usually just eat like 4 bananas when I feel a bit sluggish in the brain and save the other 100 for coffee :)