Tough gains

Options
only been on this app for 11 days but I find it tough trying to gain weight. I seem To have an extremely fast metabolism. No matter how much I eat I never feel full. Any good tips ?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately fast metabolism isn't the issue. Lack of calorie surplus is. You DON'T have to feel full, you just have to eat more calorie dense foods. Pizza is a great choice IMO if you're trying to bulk up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • allabouthegains
    allabouthegains Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I mean I eat so much but sometimes it's tough either my job I can't find to time to eat but my shake is 630 cals. So I think if I drink that twice a day it'll help

Thing is I don't if im eating too much grain and bread. Im eating two or three sandwiches a day
  • JehTL
    JehTL Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My coach made me bulk from a lean 190 a couple years ago and wanted me to get to 230-250. I honestly lifted so hard and ate everything. Unfortunately, for the huge gains I needed to kill my metabolism as well. I crushed pizza pops and got up to about 240 and then cut down. I was sloppier at 240, but the muscle mass was still there. If you are okay with getting a bit thick, pizza pops worked for me lol. Careful though...
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat more food. I have similar problems keeping up with eating enough especially during the workweek. Meal prep beforehand helps so you always have food on hand if you're in a rush. If I'm making rice or chicken, I'll make a lot and keep it in the fridge to reheat quick during the week.

Two shakes a day is a good idea to add some more calories without needing to make a meal. Also eating more meals throughout the day helps split up the huge amount of food you're trying to eat. Try not to go without eating for more than 3 hrs.

I also found that eating a massive breakfast seems to keep me hungrier throughout the day. Good luck making them gains.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has an amazing amount of calories. Try to incorporate some of that.
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    This is all good stuff thank you. But peanut is where it's at. Can't go a day without it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are a variety of ways to get more calories; butter, nut butters, ice cream, red meat, using oils on food, drink some calories (chocolate milk), nuts, high sugar fruits, high cal protein bar or shake.

How many calories are you eating?
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    I gotta eat 3570 a day or more because working and working out im burning calories so on average 4000 calories a day
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What is your workout routine?
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    Changes every time. Right now for this month im gonna be working on isolation exercises to build legs
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Changes every time. Right now for this month im gonna be working on isolation exercises to build legs

So just weights? No cardio?
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    Im just not focused on cardio because cardio tones you and slims you down. But sometimes I run or bike or hit the bag
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    dude..the worst thing you could do to yourself is avoid cardio and become a mouth breather because your *kitten* put on weight and gas out quickly. Cardio will not tone/slim you down if you are at a calorie surplus. do your heart a favor and do cardio or you will just be bulky and run out of breathe quickly..lol
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Im just not focused on cardio because cardio tones you and slims you down. But sometimes I run or bike or hit the bag

It doesn't, but rather cardio can burn a lot of calories, making it a bit harder to stay in a consistent surplus. A lot of people will drop cardio when they are bulking to reduce the amount of calories needed.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Nuts is where its at.
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    Which is partly my point because I worked as a guard so everyday im already burning 300-500 calories a day walking around all day. Then I got to the gym and burn more plus is I do cardio it'll be really hard to keep up with the calories cause I'll be burning too much
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Pick a proven routine, stick to it for at least 4-6 months at a time, and enjoy sweet, sweet gainz.

Or change up your routine all the time and enjoy not growing.
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    Alright so then routine is more ideal
    For gains
  • allabouthegains
    Options
    I kind of always had that mindset that your body can't get too use to your workouts but maybe im changing it up too much if that's even possible
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You can run a fierce 5 for 6 months and still make gains. Get in a surplus of calories and get on a solid program