what's wrong with cardio ?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    IMO it depends on your caloric balance. If you're sustaining, there is nothing inherently wrong with cardio. If you're trying to lose weight with a cut of 200-300 calories, probably fine. If you're cutting by, say, 800 calories, don't do cardio. You won't recover from it properly and it will have counterproductive effects.

What do you mean by this?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    snip
    Look I never said I hate cardio. But in my point of view you'd make a mistake to not do both. I love to run also but I can't run too much cause that would impede with my lifting progress and I would stall at both. If we're to chose only one I would chose lifting cause it was more beneficial to me that cardio ever was. It fixes my posture, improved my strength and endurance and it felt really easy to get into running. The reason I said 2 days is because it takes around 72 hours for a muscle to recover. That is for an average person. The more advanced and closer to your natural limit you are the longer it takes. That's why beginners can do a full body workout every other day. Another thing why I said that lifting is better was because of the impact and adaptation it causes. And for me strength training carries to endurance and cardio more that otherwise.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    I prefer to do cardio as I want to lose fat. Also I have joint and pain issues, and unfortunately anything with weights exacerbates it, so it's better for me to walk/run/jog.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    IMO it depends on your caloric balance. If you're sustaining, there is nothing inherently wrong with cardio. If you're trying to lose weight with a cut of 200-300 calories, probably fine. If you're cutting by, say, 800 calories, don't do cardio. You won't recover from it properly and it will have counterproductive effects.

I had the same question.
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    If you're just starting out I think it's more important to do something you enjoy. Cardio has been my favorite, low impact jogging or walking really makes me feel great. I started worrying about all the lifting, bulking, cutting stuff and really got discouraged and then uninterested after a short while. Ellipticals are fun and make me feel awesome, so I usually look forward to it. Maybe someday I'll worry about the other stuff later in my journey.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.
  • AdrianChr92
    edited January 2016
    Forty6and2 wrote: »

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss. But that would occur on extreme diets with little to no protein
  • arditarose
    Chiruadr wrote: »

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss

Then lift to save it. You're going to lose muscle in a deficit regardless.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    I ❤️ cardio so much. I'm a distance runner, and suck up those endorphins. Nothing makes me feel as badass as running 7-9 miles every day. And running outside is far from boring.
  • AdrianChr92

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss

I was just a answering the question. Which was if you go in a cut with severe deficit and do cardio
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited January 2016

Admittedly I made some assumptions when I said that. Here's what I was thinking: the reason that some people advise against cardio for body recomposition is that it alters your endocrine state dramatically. E.g. men who engage in endurance training can expect to see a 20%-30% drop in testosterone levels. Additionally, cortisol will be raised (the study I linked to is talking about baseline cortisol levels, not immediately following exercise, and these athletes are eating for recovery). This is not in itself an argument against cardio, because cardio has tons of benefits that probably outweigh the costs. For example massively increased production of neurotrophic factors and neurotransmitters, improved blood flow especially to the brain, resulting in better mood, better cognition, etc. And then of course there is the calorie burn. Which is why I personally do cardio every day.

This tradeoff is fine as long as you're eating enough calories, specifically carbohydrates and fat, to support healthy hormone production. On a cut, however, carbohydrates and fat tend to suffer the most. No one cuts protein to lose weight, for good reason. With a really mild or even moderate cut, this isn't a huge problem. But if someone is cutting aggressively, they're dealing a terrible one-two punch to their endocrine health.

After a few weeks or months of heavy aerobic training at a deficit, you run the risk of burning out your adrenals. This makes losing weight about a thousand times harder than it is already.

It also depends on the intensity of the cardio. If you're working out really hard, the effect will be more acute.
  • arditarose
    edited January 2016

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss

I was just a answering the question. Which was if you go in a cut with severe deficit and do cardio

The poster said if you DON'T do cardio, you won't recover. Not if you DO it. I still would like to know what he meant.

ETA: Sorry I see he was suggesting you don't do it. I misread.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited January 2016

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss

Who asked about a severe cut?

What is the difference between maintaining an 800 calorie deficit and maintaining an 800 calorie deficit while doing cardio?

ETA - I thought you were the one who said it, I didn't realize you were answering for him.
  • AdrianChr92

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss

What is the difference between maintaining an 800 calorie deficit and maintaining an 800 calorie deficit while doing cardio?

ETA - I thought you were the one who said it, I didn't realize you were answering for him.

Because cardio would increase the gap even more. Then suddenly you are at 1500 calorie gap.
  • schibsted750
    The key is the intensity. Walking on a treadmill is practically a bodybuilding tradition and people do it in order to increase their calorie burn while minimizing the risk of overtraining.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited January 2016

I had the same question.

Also in for this answer.

Muscle loss

Because cardio would increase the gap even more. Then suddenly you are at 1500 calorie gap.

If you are following MFP then it would not increase the gap. Which is why I said "maintaining" an 800 calorie deficit.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    snip
    Look I never said I hate cardio. But in my point of view you'd make a mistake to not do both. I love to run also but I can't run too much cause that would impede with my lifting progress and I would stall at both. If we're to chose only one I would chose lifting cause it was more beneficial to me that cardio ever was. It fixes my posture, improved my strength and endurance and it felt really easy to get into running. The reason I said 2 days is because it takes around 72 hours for a muscle to recover. That is for an average person. The more advanced and closer to your natural limit you are the longer it takes. That's why beginners can do a full body workout every other day. Another thing why I said that lifting is better was because of the impact and adaptation it causes. And for me strength training carries to endurance and cardio more that otherwise.

One of the points or tenets of MFP is to weed out any BroScience (BS). I just caution that the above paragraph and other things you have said in this thread are filled with a heavy dose of BroScience. BroScience can really confuse OP's, so we all need to be careful to refrain from using it.

The OP was not asking which is better, but wondered if the choice of using the Elliptical a few times a week as the exercise of choice was an "issue when trying to lose weight".

I read some posts and it seemed people were not too keen on cardio. Just wondering if it was something they did not enjoy or an issue when trying to lose weight. I just started my weight loss mission and going on the elyptical a few times a week was going to be my exercise of choice.

No, it is not an issue when trying to lose weight. Running a deficit in the CICO equation is what will cause weight loss. Whatever the exercise is that contributes to the -CO side of the equation doesn't matter. What matters is the daily CICO and weekly CICO calculation will tally up to a deficit to insure weight loss.
  • schibsted750
    No one is denying that you will lose weight You will absolutely, without a doubt lose weight by doing any kind of exercise to increase caloric deficit. But not all weight loss is created equal. My point is that if you don't recover properly from exercise, you will hurt your body composition more than is necessarily.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited January 2016
    The key is the intensity. Walking on a treadmill is practically a bodybuilding tradition and people do it in order to increase their calorie burn while minimizing the risk of overtraining.

The idea of bodybuilders doing low intensity cardio is to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while burning still burning calories while on what is usually a very drastic cut getting contest ready.

That isn't the same as someone looking to do cardio a few times a week.

And bodybuilders are getting away from that idea as well.

ETA - also, this is a scenerio with a very lean individual trying to get even leaner.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Ideally, you want some of both, with more of whatever you like more.

One big benefit, IME, of lifting is that I look great at a higher weight than if I were just doing cardio, due to a higher amount of muscle/lower body fat. That means I can eat a bit more, especially in maintenance, than if I was doing strictly cardio and not working on muscle mass as well. I'm quite short, so that kind of thing is important to me.

There are many means to the end, of course. I like lifting heavy with a bit of cardio at the end of my workout. Some people prefer more in the cardio side (marathon runners ... that's a lot of cardio training, but some people love it!) and others prefer body weight resistance training. The trick is finding what makes you happy, both in enjoying your workout and in developing the look you want. Since you're just starting out, the elliptical is a great place to start building some CV endurance and getting in the habit of exercising. But I would still suggest trying other things, maybe other machines or classes at your gym, and definitely look into a bit of resistance training along with your cardio (as @arditarose said above, that's the best way to reduce muscle loss, but you'll still lose at least some while eating at a deficit)