Is diet Pepsi really OK to have on a diet?

Options
I've been on this diet for about 1.5 years now, floating between 85 - 90lbs lost (still aiming for just under 100lbs but struggling over the holiday) and I've only drank water in this time and it's getting super boring. We bought some diet soda for the kids and I tried it and it's OK, not like the real stuff but I was wondering if I could actually drink this without harming my diet? The label would suggest so but is there a catch I'm missing?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No catch, although if you're new to diet cola and haven't established a preferred brand, be sure to try Pepsi Max as well as Diet Pepsi - they are very different and (personal opinion) I think Pepsi Max is worlds better. I think it tastes closer to normal Pepsi too, although it's been decades since I've had normal Pepsi so maybe I can't say that.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I like warm diet Pepsi. It was the only thing that took care of my morning sickness with my second pregnancy. Diet Pepsi has been a staple if my diet during the last year while I lost 20 lbs.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Of course! That's why they call it that. Just don't think it earns you a second big mac.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a diet soda often ! ( I like diet coke with no ice ) I have had no problems losing all my weight and keeping it off for 2+ yrs . weight loss comes down to calories . everything in moderation.
    While I wouldn't suggest drinking 48 diet sodas per day there's no problem with having them in moderation.
    ( I think diet coke is better though!! Lol !! If you ever are out, order one and taste it !)
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yup. Won't hurt your diet. Couple years ago I quit drinking pop for over a year. Took one sip of diet coke, something I drank all the time, dumped it out. You may not enjoy it like you used to. Diet root beer, diet Dr. Pepper are still awesome.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    No catch. Yes, diet soda is just fine to drink while losing weight (although Diet Pepsi is nowhere near as OK as diet Dr. Pepper ;) )
  • ItsMeNotU
    ItsMeNotU Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr. Pepper (DDP), Has several diet flavors and the caffeine free is great for late afternoon and evening enjoyment.
  • Kidbonz
    Kidbonz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a few problems with Diet soft drinks. I gave them up for New Years. 3 days and still sober. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Kidbonz wrote: »
    There are a few problems with Diet soft drinks. I gave them up for New Years. 3 days and still sober. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes

There are no problems with drinking diet soft drinks. The above article is full of fearmongering and short of actual science.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    No. Diet Pepsi removed aspartame and is now disgusting. Stick with Diet Coke Zero. :wink:
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Caffeine Free Coke Zero. Yum.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

There are no problems with drinking diet soft drinks. The above article is full of fearmongering and short of actual science.

Second this
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No. Soda diet or regular is horrible for your bones.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    No. Soda diet or regular is horrible for your bones.

malarky
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid them as it makes me have MASSIVE sugar cravings after consuming any 'diet soda' drink, so i just allow my self the normal/real stuff within my calorie allowance its better for me to have 135 calories in 1 can of coke, than 1 calorie in a diet coke then have an uncontrollable binge on biscuits costing me over a 1000 calories.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm down 25 pounds since about mid July and I have at least 12 ounces of diet Pepsi every day.

FWIW, I'm one of those apparently rare people who prefers diet soft drinks. I think the regular versions are all absolutely revolting. I don't have much of a sweet tooth at all, and the sugar in regular soft drinks is overwhelming to me. If diet drinks weren't available I wouldn't drink soft drinks at all.
  • Dcass100
    Dcass100 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just read of a study where people were watched over a year. One group was told to drink regular soda as normal, another drank diet soda and another drank water only. The only group that lost weight was the group that drank water. Both groups of soda drinkers did not lose any weight. FOOD for thought! Check it out online!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Dcass100 wrote: »
    I just read of a study where people were watched over a year. One group was told to drink regular soda as normal, another drank diet soda and another drank water only. The only group that lost weight was the group that drank water. Both groups of soda drinkers did not lose any weight. FOOD for thought! Check it out online!!

That's all well and good, but means nothing in the realm of calorie-controlled dieting. Diet soda doesn't make you maintain weight on its own, and water doesn't make you lose weight on its own.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt or help your weight loss
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Especially if it's from a "Nature" journal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png