Is diet Pepsi really OK to have on a diet?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    No. Soda diet or regular is horrible for your bones.
    No that would be lack of exercise or resistance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Diet Pepsi/Fanta/7UP/Dr Pepper has kept me away from the chocolate shop many boring afternoons at work, so for me it certainly helped with losing/maintaining weight.
  • ninerbuff
    Dcass100 wrote: »
    I just read of a study where people were watched over a year. One group was told to drink regular soda as normal, another drank diet soda and another drank water only. The only group that lost weight was the group that drank water. Both groups of soda drinkers did not lose any weight. FOOD for thought! Check it out online!!
    Lol, you do realize that if one just drank water and ate a calorie surplus, they would gain weight? Check that out online.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    I've been on this diet for about 1.5 years now, floating between 85 - 90lbs lost (still aiming for just under 100lbs but struggling over the holiday) and I've only drank water in this time and it's getting super boring. We bought some diet soda for the kids and I tried it and it's OK, not like the real stuff but I was wondering if I could actually drink this without harming my diet? The label would suggest so but is there a catch I'm missing?
    25+ years of drinking it. I rely on the science and not the woo about it, and so far science has kept me drinking it. In moderation of course.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Kidbonz wrote: »
    There are a few problems with Diet soft drinks. I gave them up for New Years. 3 days and still sober. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes
    Uh no. Especially if it's from a "Nature" journal.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You might want to actually look at the article rather than outright dismissing it, it's been referenced by several other non-"Nature" publications, and there seems to be a lot of emerging research in the area. I found a few articles while doing a search, here's one abstract, can't seem to get to the full text: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25831243
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2016
    There are a few problems with Diet soft drinks. I gave them up for New Years. 3 days and still sober. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes

Second time I've seen this article linked in two days. It might matter in you're a mouse and eating well over a reasonable amount.

As a human, not so much.

Read that article with a critical eye and maybe stop spreading worthless misinterpretations.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I'm down 25 pounds since about mid July and I have at least 12 ounces of diet Pepsi every day.

FWIW, I'm one of those apparently rare people who prefers diet soft drinks. I think the regular versions are all absolutely revolting. I don't have much of a sweet tooth at all, and the sugar in regular soft drinks is overwhelming to me. If diet drinks weren't available I wouldn't drink soft drinks at all.

I'm with you. I think it's because I switched so long ago (around age 17) and now the regular stuff tastes syrupy and weird. (To be fair so does Diet Pepsi -- I much prefer Diet Coke or various diet ginger ale and root beer options.)
  • ninerbuff
    newmeadow wrote: »

Would it be okay if it came from a Synthetic Food Additives Today journal from an article authored by Clark Griswold?
    You sure it's not Rusty Griswold who's the author?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I'm down 25 pounds since about mid July and I have at least 12 ounces of diet Pepsi every day.

FWIW, I'm one of those apparently rare people who prefers diet soft drinks. I think the regular versions are all absolutely revolting. I don't have much of a sweet tooth at all, and the sugar in regular soft drinks is overwhelming to me. If diet drinks weren't available I wouldn't drink soft drinks at all.

Me too!
  • ninerbuff
    kgeyser wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You might want to actually look at the article rather than outright dismissing it, it's been referenced by several other non-"Nature" publications, and there seems to be a lot of emerging research in the area. I found a few articles while doing a search, here's one abstract, can't seem to get to the full text: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25831243
    I've read the previous one (NCBI) and what's not being taken into consideration here is what other things happened? Did they eat more? If they did was carb intake higher than normal? Were any physically active?
    Sugar alone will have a different effect on a trained athlete and a sedentary person in terms of how blood glucose is regulated.
    Just saying before we jump on this, let's see several more controlled studies.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »

Would it be okay if it came from a Synthetic Food Additives Today journal from an article authored by Clark Griswold?

LOL.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's quite the assumption.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I swear Griswold's sketch did more for clean eating than a dozen public service ads.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    In the past couple of years, I've gone from drinking Diet Coke all day, every day to drinking it only occasionally. By 'occasionally', I mean about once a week. (My husband and I do Takeout Tuesdays.) I did this, not for my health, but for my budget, lol. The cost of 5 tea bags is so much more affordable than the cost of 5 diet sodas, lol. That being said, I don't think that the copious amounts of Diet Coke messed with my diet much, if at all. If water is getting boring for you, I say mix it up with the occasional diet soda, tea (unsweet or sweet, but be careful if you use sugar to sweeten it), flavored water (like with fruit), coffee - hot or iced, etc., etc.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    No.

But only because diet Pepsi is gross...switch to Diet Coke.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    I drink Coke Zero but same difference. It's not going to hurt your weight loss. I have been drinking one-two a day for the last two years.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    mkakids wrote: »
    No.

But only because diet Pepsi is gross...switch to Diet Coke.
    I used to enjoy Diet Pepsi until one day, I drank one of the reformulated cans hot.

They really taste flat to me for some reason.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nature is actually one of the most respected scientific journals out there. I would definitely believe their science is good, but people trying to extrapolate a short-term effect seen in a small group of volunteers to make claims about long-term effects on the population as a whole are simply jumping to conclusions.

Basically, the problem with almost all media reporting on science, they take observations out of context and apply them much more broadly than the journal authors ever would.

phd051809s.gif
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    I never really liked the taste of diet soft drinks or artfical sweetener in my tea, but I drank them anyway because the alternatives were yet more plain water or more calories. I finally decided not to let calorie restriction make me eat or drink things I don't like. I will have my tea with honey, damn it. If I want a soda, I'll have a full sugar one, but only rarely.

The result of all this is that I'm now even more intolerant of the taste of artificial sweeteners than I used to be, so even a few drops of Mio in water tastes terrible. I'm thinking I did myself a disservice in the long run because I now have even fewer alternatives to plain water or tea than I used to and now Quest bars taste bad to me as well.

I don't think diet drinks consumed moderately do any harm. (Don't all the fears about loss of bone density or gut bacteria involve high dosage?) In fact they may have a lot to do with helping you stick to your calorie budget and get proper hydration.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    No. Soda diet or regular is horrible for your bones.

Only if you're soaking your bones in a vat of the stuff for a long period of time. But that would suggest far more serious problems than your choice of beverage.