P R O T E I N

Options
lmxxox
lmxxox Posts: 56 Member
Powder.
Brands.
Flavors.

There's probably 2372627833736 posts just like this, asking the same thing, but I would like to hear your brand preferences, suggestions, the best & the worst.

Is drug store protein powder just as good as you get at health food stores?

I've never had protein powder before... So I look forward to seeing your responses.

PS... does chocolate powder really taste like chocolate? strawberry? do snozberries really taste like snozberries?

Replies

• CrystalMayfield1
    CrystalMayfield1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The one I get is from Wal-Mart. The rich chocolate taste like chocolate. I blend it with ice and a cup of milk with 5 grams of sunflower kernels. It's the perfect pick me up and keeps you full. But read the nutrition labels. Some is to help gain weight and others are low carb to help lose weight and build muscle. I love them I could live off them. But the Myfitnesspal app yells at me cause I don't get enough calories in.
  • martelr
    martelr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lmxxox wrote: »
    Powder.
    Brands.
    Flavors.

There's probably 2372627833736 posts just like this, asking the same thing, but I would like to hear your brand preferences, suggestions, the best & the worst.

Is drug store protein powder just as good as you get at health food stores?

I've never had protein powder before... So I look forward to seeing your responses.

PS... does chocolate powder really taste like chocolate? strawberry? do snozberries really taste like snozberries?

Some taste like crap.
    Two tasty and mixed ones I like are jym chocolate and moot eat metronomic drive chocolate. Both can mix with water and taste awesome. :smile:
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    P R O T E I N T I M E B O Y S

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

check out this link
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that you need protein powder?
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Kaizen vanilla is pretty good. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way for any because of flavor though. I'm looking forward to trying the peanut butter cup flavors from a couple brands sometime soon though.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My personal favorites are Cellucor, Quest, and Pescience. Check out bodybuilding.com for the best deals on protein powders (GNC is way overpriced). These are mainly my favorites b/c of the fun flavors like Peanut Butter Marshmallow, White Chocolate Mint, Snickerdoodle, etc.

On another note, I rarely use protein powder to actually make a shake. Instead I prefer to use it as an ingredient. For instance a couple of my go to meals are protein oatmeal, protein coffee, protein pancakes, protein mugcakes, etc.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    One general rule is to look at the nutrition facts and judge a powder by its protein content. For example, if the serving size is 30g and the protein is 28g, that's pretty darn good. The lower it is, the more filler they're putting in. This says nothing about the quality of the protein itself though.

I use myprotein, mostly because I'm lactose intolerant and they run really good sales on whey isolate every so often (super happy to see that its #1 in @schibsted750 's link!). Chocolate does taste like chocolate. They use cocoa powder after all!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My personal favorites are Cellucor, Quest, and Pescience. Check out bodybuilding.com for the best deals on protein powders (GNC is way overpriced). These are mainly my favorites b/c of the fun flavors like Peanut Butter Marshmallow, White Chocolate Mint, Snickerdoodle, etc.

On another note, I rarely use protein powder to actually make a shake. Instead I prefer to use it as an ingredient. For instance a couple of my go to meals are protein oatmeal, protein coffee, protein pancakes, protein mugcakes, etc.
    I'm the same way. I mostly use protein powder for a breakfast mug cake or as a filler in cottage cheese.

Tastewise, my favorites have been samples of Vega all in one chocolate and Quest strawberry. They're just both too expensive for me justify buying a full 2lbs. :disappointed:

From MyProtein, I've really enjoyed their chocolate caramel impact why and their chocolate peanut butter Flavdrops, which I just add to cottage cheese or Plain Greek yogurt. The bottle was free with purchase of a very disappointing apple custard flavor. Seriously, I'm forcing myself to finish that apple custard. :s
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Quest and optimum nutrition flavours taste like they say they do, eg chocolate tastes like chocolate, peanut butter tastes like peanut butter :smiley: These 2 brands are my favourite
  • Badfishx96
    Badfishx96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go to body building.com variety and price. Now I'm using BPI Protein powder smores flavor. It's good 9/10. I like to try different protein bars too but look out for some packed with sugar. honestly don't like taste but gotta do what you gotta do.
  • lmxxox
    lmxxox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are all wonderful. Thank you! I'm not so sure about drinking it, but I definitely have some killer recipes that calls for it as an ingredient. Y'all are awesome. <3o:)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Also some people are sensitive to whey protein then there's whey protein isolate which maybe easier to digest. Drink a lot of water to avoid constipation. A lot! Bionic edge chocolate is sugar free low carb free of additives preservatives. Tastes good for a powder! I liked Terra's whey vanilla bean. Spirutein all flavors taste pretty good. Hemp protein is ok. Pea protein is ok. But learn about your protein powders first bc some are better than others and some things not so great for you.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    What is the best chocolate protein powder at Walmart or target?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Spend that money on real food.

For example, a block of tempeh the size of 2 burger patties contains almost 50g of protein. And it only costs $3-$4. And you're getting way more micronutrients and probiotics from it. It's REAL FOOD.

A tiny tin of sardines the size of a hand contains over 30g of protein. You can buy a tin for like $1.

The point is real food is always the best option. Last I checked the protein powder industry generates $10B/year. So was everyone pre-1990 protein deficient? Makes no sense bro.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My favorite these days is Muscle Pharm Combat Protein powder. Has essential BCCA's and glutamine.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I usually get vanilla flavor protein powder because I find it to be the most adaptable. If I want chocolate, I add a little chocolate syrup or if I want peanut butter, I add PB2.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be snotty, but if you are pretty sure there are a zillion posts just like this, why are you posting another one?

But to your question, I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. It's well regarded, it tastes good and dissolves well, and it's available from my local lifting shop who I like to support whenever I can. Chocolate, chocolate mint, and vanilla are my go-to flavors.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Not trying to be snotty, but if you are pretty sure there are a zillion posts just like this, why are you posting another one?

I don't really think it matters if there are duplicate posts on this forum. The main purpose of the site is to interact with people who share your goals, not to disseminate information.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like to buy casein or a whey/casein blend because then I can make protein fluff with it. Otherwise I would have to buy two types and that is expensive. So far my favorite as been PEScience in snickerdoodle. I've made shakes, added it to greek yogurt, used it in baking, mixed it with pb2 and water for a sweet sauce on pancakes, and it also makes a great fluff. And it literally tastes like cookies.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I don't really think it matters if there are duplicate posts on this forum. The main purpose of the site is to interact with people who share your goals, not to disseminate information.

I'm betting that depends on who you ask. The main purpose for this site is to generate revenue and exposure for UA.