Quitting sugar

Options
I've decided to quit sugar which for me is a huge. Yes I'm addicted to sugar. Even though I go to the gym 4 times a week, I eat fairly healthy, I just can't say no to chocolates and sweets and so I have plateau in my weight loss. Hopefully the my fitness pal community can help me.

Replies

• mbryon
    mbryon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sugar… yuck! Vinegar… yum! Hope this helps! Happy New Year! :)
  • LucindaGregory1
    LucindaGregory1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Haha. Not really but thanks mbryon. It will be a great new year for all of us☺
  • mycml2013
    mycml2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this! I can never stay off it long enough. I hope we can motivate each other.
  • Lmck13
    Lmck13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh I've tried over and over to quit sugar but it keeps sneaking back in. Trying again this January... I can help motivate. :-)
  • powerjd
    powerjd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im trying too. My worst enemy is tge free frozen yogurt machine! !!!!!
  • luvsis91
    luvsis91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

this is my same problem! I have a sweet tooth like no other. I have the hardest time saying no to any sweets. I would love some help in motivating me to not go to the dark (chocolate) side lol
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    powerjd, just make sugar free yogurt! yum
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not completely, right? A lot of foods besides chocolate and desserts have sugar. I understand wanting to cut back for personal reasons but there really isn't a need to cut it for weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason for doing this?

Sugar by itself is not unhealthy, and will not stall weight loss. Of course, if you are eating too many calorie dense, sugary foods, then you just need to look at your overall diet and reduce said foods.

There are no human trials showing that sugar is addictive, and in most cases those that believe that they have a "sugar addiction" have been shown to have a behavioral or mental health issue that is manifesting itself in the form of binging on sugary treats.

Here is my recommendation for your weight loss plateau..

make sure that you are using a food scale to weigh all solids
    make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    only eat back half of exercise calories

hope this helps...
  • Laura03211
    Laura03211 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I crave Cokes and am now trying to give them up. I started 3 days ago, and I'm gradually decreasing each day, so it won't be such a huge hit. I think it takes at least a few weeks, if not a month, to stop having cravings. I noticed that the food section lists sugar grams, and my recommended amount is 50 grams. One 12 ounce Coke has nearly that amount, so hopefully having that visual will help when I'm having a craving. Have you tired sugar free candies? Although, that is still putting something in your mouth.
  • kevin_bvbfan
    kevin_bvbfan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness. I don't drink or drink soda, but chocolate is a hard one for me. I replaced it with chocolate flavored protein shakes with peanut butter and bananas. Slightly better option
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been there.

If you are quitting (added) sugar for the rest of your life (lifestyle change) good luck to you!

But, if you are cutting out (added) sugar to lose weight (and that's a temporary change) then it's not such a good plan. Losing weight is just STEP 1. Maintaining the weight you lost is step 2. Logging high calorie treats and snacks is a learning experience. It really makes you think about the "price." It makes me prioritize. This time, I am managing sugar not eliminating it. To maintain weight lost you will need lifestyle changes.

Dark chocolate in wonderful. I like Ghiradelli squares because they are individually wrapped.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's a challenge that started recently that some in this thread might be interested in joining, it looks to be mostly accountability and support for people who are trying to cut out sugary foods which are an issue for them: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10309881/january-march-clean-eating-sugar-free-challenge#latest
  • lindseydodd408
    lindseydodd408 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I quit sugar (allowed 6-9gs fructose per day) two years ago, it was the most liberating food decision that I have ever made. I've lost 4 stone and I have not had an emotional binge session in that entire time. I now eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I sleep amazing, my skin is amazing, I no longer get regular monthly headaches, I have more energy. The first two weeks was hell, I could have crushed up and snorted a Mars bar at times, but once I was over the withdrawal it was incredible. Obviously everyone is different, but this was the key to unlocking my unhealthy relationship with food and making/maintaining positive change. Good luck!!!
  • PennySwimmer
    PennySwimmer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to give up sugar too. I'm with you!
  • Simmonsfitcoach
    Simmonsfitcoach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sugar will rob your mitochondria of all energy. Your body runs more efficiently off of fat which is why we store body fat and not body sugar!!! Sugar is also a neurotoxin. Keep it up you have great supports here! Add me if you would like to add another support :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Sugar will rob your mitochondria of all energy. Your body runs more efficiently off of fat which is why we store body fat and not body sugar!!! Sugar is also a neurotoxin. Keep it up you have great supports here! Add me if you would like to add another support :)

fixed it for you ..

and why is this thread being necroed?
  • shimmernova
    shimmernova Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Heyyy

I've cut out sugar since monday and I'm in that horrible groggy stage where I just have a headache all the time and could kill someone just by looking at them, you know? I know it's tough in the beginning but we can do this!!! totally adding you now =)
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Meeeeeee too. Specifically the literal candy. I can down a bag of sour worms in 5 minutes, lol.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    "Sugar will rob your mitochondria of all energy" I mean really this is the funniest thing I have read all year.