Quitting sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• CrispyHalo
    CrispyHalo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time saying no to sweets, especially when I'm stressed! But, as I start my new weight loss goals, I'm making extra sugar the first target on my hit list. I know it needs to be a lifestyle change, so instead of going crazy, I'm thinking of just starting with the obvious. Like, passing up the candy bowl at work. Drinking my coffee black, etc. Guess we'll see where this goes...
  • ldpayne10
    ldpayne10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 11 of my sugar fast. It's been easier than I thought it would be. The first few days sucked..headaches and mood swings but nothing like I was expecting. I've had an unhealthy relationship with sweets for a long time. It's my go to when I'm anxious or sad... I've learned this since I stopped eating sugar. I have to find new healthyways to cope with my emotions. I've cut out bread, pasta, and sweets. I still eat fruit. I've been focusing on primarily eating proteins. Lots of fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, and nuts. I don't do great with vegetables but I'm trying harder to fit them in. We're buying a blender to make smoothies...that way I can sneak vegetables in a not have to taste them. I agree with Ndj1979...most people with any kind of "addiction" probably have emotional issues they have not dealt with and worked through. In addition to my healthier food lifestyle I'm also working on my emotional and spiritual health. I really believe that's why it's been easier than normal this time around. I do daily affirmations. It's weird at first but I really like them now. Some of mine are:
    I am disciplined.
    I am self-controlled.
    I am loved.
    I am secure.
    No temptation is greater than my God.
    etc.

http://www.life.church/watch/words-to-live-by/#1
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    "Sugar will rob your mitochondria of all energy" I mean really this is the funniest thing I have read all year.

I need to add it to my myth list.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've decided to quit sugar which for me is a huge. Yes I'm addicted to sugar. Even though I go to the gym 4 times a week, I eat fairly healthy, I just can't say no to chocolates and sweets and so I have plateau in my weight loss. Hopefully the my fitness pal community can help me.

If you have issues with moderating specific foods, then keeping them out of the house might help. Otherwise, many people find it beneficial to preplan their food diaries to include things like chocolate. I do this quite often. I preplan treats in my diary as it improves dietary compliance. Additionally, I preplan my diet because I concentrate on protein as it's very important.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sugar will rob your mitochondria of all energy. Your body runs more efficiently off of fat which is why we store body fat and not body sugar!!! Sugar is also a neurotoxin. Keep it up you have great supports here! Add me if you would like to add another support :)

This is utterly and completely false. Your body runs on glucose (monosaccharide). All carbs, regardless of source are broken down to glucose. If you don't eat enough carbs, your body can produce sugars through glucenogenesis. So sugar is literally the most important thing to your body. It's not to say you need to eat a bunch of junk food, but glucose is what keeps you alive.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Heyyy

I've cut out sugar since monday and I'm in that horrible groggy stage where I just have a headache all the time and could kill someone just by looking at them, you know? I know it's tough in the beginning but we can do this!!! totally adding you now =)

are you cutting fruits and vegetables too?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Heyyy

I've cut out sugar since monday and I'm in that horrible groggy stage where I just have a headache all the time and could kill someone just by looking at them, you know? I know it's tough in the beginning but we can do this!!! totally adding you now =)

If you cut sugar, and overall cut carbs, you could be suffering from an electrolyte imbalance. This in turn would make you feel lethargic. At some point, if carbs are very low, you need high sodium to help balance your electrolytes.

What do you total carbs look like?
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try cutting down foods that have Sugar & Fat in them... cookies chocolate Cake and so on..hey are the big baddies...
    If you try and cut sugar out totally you could have problems with low energy levels.
    there is however. enough sugar in Fruit & Veg & other healthy foods without having to "add" any refined sugar.

• krebane13
    krebane13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Big willpower makes everything possible, good luck! ;):)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dfc4 wrote: »
    Try cutting down foods that have Sugar & Fat in them... cookies chocolate Cake and so on..hey are the big baddies...
    If you try and cut sugar out totally you could have problems with low energy levels.
    there is however. enough sugar in Fruit & Veg & other healthy foods without having to "add" any refined sugar.

why is fruit sugar OK but cookie sugar is not?