Is eating 3-4 slices of bread will harm my weight loss???

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have NO idea how weight loss works. Ignore them.
    +1
    You need to eat enough to live. All food contributes to health. Eat too much food and you will gain weight.

Sometimes to lose weight I switch from two slices of bread to one. But that must be in context of everything else I am eating. If I switch from two slices of bread to one but compensate by eating two tablespoons of peanut butter, I'm adding more calories and hindering my weight loss plan.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    drdocument wrote: »
    While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

I never knew protein will get stored as fat~

So proteins are same as carbs they both get stored as fat??

If you eat calories above your maintenance you will put on fat. If you don't, you won't.

Macros (i.e., carbs, fat, protein) matter for filling satisfied (but people vary in how they respond to them) and health (although there are better things to focus on for health purposes), but not for weight loss. If people told you you can't lose weight eating carbs or won't gain weight if you eat low carbs, they are lying or mistaken.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The bread I eat is whole grain whole wheat.

I wish carbs never slow weight loss T^T

where did you get? I love my bread and will never give it up. I gave up lots of body fat though
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    When I was eating bread, I cut back to one slice, or two for a sandwich, at most. Yes, it's the calories that count, but eating protein first, and not filling up with carbs, helps me stop eating sooner. Bread is just too easy and too delicious, to me. I'll eat bread when I should be eating vegetables and meat. You could be getting more nutritious carbs by eating beans, nuts, and whole whole grains (not flour) like quinoa.

Yes, I don't find bread especially filling when compared to foods like legumes, which is a staple for all the healthy vegetarians I know.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you burn.
    You do not have to eat a low carb diet to lose weight.
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

People are telling me I won't lose weight because I'm eating too much carbs~

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

I can only do 30 mins of walking

1. People are stupid. Stop listening to them.
    2. You don't have to do hours of exercise. It's calories in vs. calories out. Each gram of carbs has 4 calories, each gram of protein has 4 calories, and each gram of fat has 9 calories. A calorie is a calorie. Eat all the carbs you want, as long as you're within your calorie goal.
    3. Why can you only do 30 minutes of walking?
    While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

Extra calories will be stored as fat. It doesn't matter if they're calories from protein, fat, or carbs. If you eat more calories than your body uses, you'll gain fat. Period. Simple.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Your body needs different things. Some from fat, some from protein, and some from carbs. If you give the body too much (i.e. above the calories from fat, protein, and carbs), then it stores it as fat.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

People are wrong.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think you have to observe what your body does when you eat bread -- can you stick to your calorie macros, do you feel full and satiated, do you crave more? Bread doesn't work for me at all, because when I eat bread it doesn't fill me up, and I find it very hard to stick to my calorie macros for weight loss. It also interferes with my digestion when I do my runs (its pretty funny because on my GPS mapping, I print out my route, I can see my detours into the bushes for a bathroom break when I eat bread). Anyway, a little trial and error and you can figure out what works best for you -- weight wise and health wise.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Eat the amount of calories MFP sets you up with. Try to eat them from varied and nutritional sources but do not neglect the occasional treat if it fits your calories. Exercise as much as you are able. Do this for 3 months and see where you are. Do not over complicate it. Weight loss is all about how many calories you eat not so much about what those calories are made from.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

you store fat when you consume more energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quot, regardless of whether it's protein, fat, or carbohydrates. weight management is about energy (calories). when you consume more energy than your body requires, that surplus of energy is stored in your back up generator (fat stores) for later use. when you consume less energy than your body requires, your backup generator kicks on and you burn body fat to make up that deficiency.

carbohydrates, protein, and dietary fat are just the three macro-nutrients that make up your total calories (energy)...
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    When I was eating bread, I cut back to one slice, or two for a sandwich, at most. Yes, it's the calories that count, but eating protein first, and not filling up with carbs, helps me stop eating sooner. Bread is just too easy and too delicious, to me. I'll eat bread when I should be eating vegetables and meat. You could be getting more nutritious carbs by eating beans, nuts, and whole whole grains (not flour) like quinoa.

Yes, I don't find bread especially filling when compared to foods like legumes, which is a staple for all the healthy vegetarians I know.

I don't find bread especially filling on its own, but I'd never eat it on its own. (I am not that into bread, so also won't overeat it anyway. I do find some sandwiches or pasta with vegetables and lean protein perfectly filling.)

I always find it odd how people talk about foods as if they weren't normally eaten in combination with other foods. A good meal is typically a mix of protein, fat, and carbs.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No, it won't. It may contribute to water fluctuations though.

Eating more calories then you need will effect your weight loss.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I think you have to observe what your body does when you eat bread -- can you stick to your calorie macros, do you feel full and satiated, do you crave more? Bread doesn't work for me at all, because when I eat bread it doesn't fill me up, and I find it very hard to stick to my calorie macros for weight loss. It also interferes with my digestion when I do my runs (its pretty funny because on my GPS mapping, I print out my route, I can see my detours into the bushes for a bathroom break when I eat bread). Anyway, a little trial and error and you can figure out what works best for you -- weight wise and health wise.

Very wise words here. It's all individual.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The bread I eat is whole grain whole wheat.
    I eat toast for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch

I know it's loads with carbs o(╥﹏╥)o
    But I personally think carbs keep me full than proteins.

But at least I'm eating healthy

I try doing the low carb diet for a faster weight loss but it was too difficult for me since I'm a vegetarian and meat is the only food with 0 carbs.

I wish carbs never slow weight loss T^T

As pretty much everyone here said, carbs and protein are the same. The calories are what count. Personally, I find that if I eat a lunch without both, carbs and protein, I get hungry very quickly. I make sure to include carbs in every lunch.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the carbs wouldnt stop me.

the calories would ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

These are not people to take weight loss advice from.
    You actually can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit.
    You actually don't have to exercise at all to lose weight if you don't eat more calories than you burn in your daily activities.
    Does the bread you eat fit your calorie goal? If it doesn't then cut back or exercise more.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Honey, how old are you? You seem very young and depending on your age, you may have specific dietary guidelines you should follow to get appropriate nutrition.
  • ilyo777
    ilyo777 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carbs don't slow weight loss; it's about calories.

Not strictly true. It's not simply about calories in / calories out.

Many people are becoming insulin resistant over time and they will definitely see a dramatic difference in adopting a low carb strategy. If you're interested in this stuff I highly recommend reading Gary Taube's excellent book Why we get Fat and what to do about it
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    As long as you are staying within your calories you will be fine
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ilyo777 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carbs don't slow weight loss; it's about calories.

Not strictly true. It's not simply about calories in / calories out.

It pretty much is. Health and nutrition are more complicated (although not as complicated as some make them), but for weight loss eat less than maintenance.
    Many people are becoming insulin resistant over time and they will definitely see a dramatic difference in adopting a low carb strategy.

OP said nothing about being IR, and plenty of people who are don't need to do low carb.

Why oh why do the low carb folks have to evangelize? It's tiresome.
    If you're interested in this stuff I highly recommend reading Gary Taube's excellent book Why we get Fat and what to do about it

I've read Taubes, as well as criticism of his arguments, and don't find him nearly as compelling as you seem to.