Is eating 3-4 slices of bread will harm my weight loss???

Options
The bread I eat is whole grain whole wheat.
I eat toast for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch

I know it's loads with carbs o(╥﹏╥)o
But I personally think carbs keep me full than proteins.

But at least I'm eating healthy

I try doing the low carb diet for a faster weight loss but it was too difficult for me since I'm a vegetarian and meat is the only food with 0 carbs.

I wish carbs never slow weight loss T^T

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't slow weight loss; it's about calories.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't slow weight loss. The size of your total calorie deficit affects your weight loss, regardless whether it's carbs, protein or fat. Now higher fiber carbs, such as whole grain, have a tendency to make people feel fuller, making it easier to avoid eating more calories than their budget. But the overall total is what matters.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Carbs have the same amount of calories per gram as protein. Calories is what matters for fat loss.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about eating fewer calories than you burn.
    You do not have to eat a low carb diet to lose weight.
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.
  • drdocument
    drdocument Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    However, it is also important to get enough protein. And there are meatless sources (I like almonds). I have a sedentary job and have my MFP goals set at 40% of calories from protein, 45% from fat and 15% from carbs and that works for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    drdocument wrote: »
    However, it is also important to get enough protein. And there are meatless sources (I like almonds). I have a sedentary job and have my MFP goals set at 40% of calories from protein, 45% from fat and 15% from carbs and that works for me.

While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

While I agree that getting enough protein is important, few (if any) people need 45% of their calories to be protein. That is far above the medical recommendation.

How much protein % should we set then for fast weight loss?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

40%, but same is true. At most .65-.85 g/lb of healthy weight helps to maintain LBM while exercising at a deficit. For me that's about 100 grams or 20% when at maintenance.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn to lose weight.
    Your choice on what you want to eat.
  • drdocument
    drdocument Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »

How much protein % should we set then for fast weight loss?

It depends on your personal goals. This is a pretty good article on protein, I think.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Well, mine is set at 40%, not 45%, and I know I am on the upper end of varying opinion. And I rarely get that much. I work out 3 times per week, and my goal is to get about 1 gram of protein per day per pound of body weight, remembering that the body does not store protein and can only process about 10 grams per hour, so I have 5 or 6 "mini-meals" throughout the day. But it works for me. After losing 30+ pounds (using MFP) I am at target weight, BP=109/60, resting heart rate ~40 and about 10% body fat.

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When I was eating bread, I cut back to one slice, or two for a sandwich, at most. Yes, it's the calories that count, but eating protein first, and not filling up with carbs, helps me stop eating sooner. Bread is just too easy and too delicious, to me. I'll eat bread when I should be eating vegetables and meat. You could be getting more nutritious carbs by eating beans, nuts, and whole whole grains (not flour) like quinoa.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personal goals. This is a pretty good article on protein, I think.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
    Previously I did some googling, and 1 site mentioned to equal your weight in lbs = protein. So if I weigh 128lbs, means I need around 128g protein as well. But this number is too darn high for me, average I would only consume 30-40g protein, the rest are mostly carbs. :/
  • lemurcat12
    Options

What do you mean by "the body does not store protein"? Calories from protein will be stored as fat if you overeat, the same as calories from fat and most carbs will.

Good article: http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2016
    Options

Previously I did some googling, and 1 site mentioned to equal your weight in lbs = protein. So if I weigh 128lbs, means I need around 128g protein as well. But this number is too darn high for me, average I would only consume 30-40g protein, the rest are mostly carbs. :/

That is above the medical recommendation, but isn't necessarily harmful. What our bodies need is not the same as what they can handle.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The usual recommendation is 1 gram protein per kilogram of body weight, for an active person. One kilo=2.2 pounds, so the recommendation for a person who weighs 128 pounds would be closer to 60 grams of protein. You could easily increase your protein intake to meet that, by having more dairy, more eggs, more beans, or a serving of meat.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    If the bread you eat fits in your calorie goal then there is no problem eating it.

People are telling me I won't lose weight because I'm eating too much carbs~

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

I can only do 30 mins of walking

• samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I never knew protein will get stored as fat~

So proteins are same as carbs they both get stored as fat??
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

People are telling me I won't lose weight because I'm eating too much carbs~

If I'm eating 200-290 carbs they say I'm going to have to do hours of exercise which I would die

I can only do 30 mins of walking

A lot of people have NO idea how weight loss works. Ignore them.