Is eating 3-4 slices of bread will harm my weight loss???

Options
1235»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    DanBGVa wrote: »
    .... and when someone says it is not what the calories are made from.. I really look the other way because that is like saying oh just have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet... just plain wrong... it is the quality of your food.

I have never heard anyone here say it's okay to "just go ahead and have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet."

A calorie literally IS a calorie - regardless of source - and all that's required in the weight loss formula is eating less of them than you burn in a day. But that's where the scientific weight loss equation ends and nutrition begins.

I never understand why people think that those of us who advise moderation instead of elimination just sit around all day eating Twinkies simply because they fit into our caloric allotment.

And if we DO eat a bunch of Twinkies (or Christmas cookies) one day, we tend to balance out with fewer than normal carbs the next day so overall we are in a nutritional balance. Were those cookies healthy? Not by themselves but in the context of the week as a whole, they were just fine . . . and super delicious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DanBGVa wrote: »
    .... and when someone says it is not what the calories are made from.. I really look the other way because that is like saying oh just have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet... just plain wrong... it is the quality of your food.

I have never heard anyone here say it's okay to "just go ahead and have a pound of sugar if it fits within your diet."

A calorie literally IS a calorie - regardless of source - and all that's required in the weight loss formula is eating less of them than you burn in a day. But that's where the scientific weight loss equation ends and nutrition begins.

I never understand why people think that those of us who advise moderation instead of elimination just sit around all day eating Twinkies simply because they fit into our caloric allotment.

Right. And for nutrition what I say (and see others saying) is that something fits IF you get other needs met too. That would include protein, healthy fats, micros, so you'd have to have an enormous calorie goal to be able to do all that AND eat a lb of sugar. I'd likely still not think it was a super healthy choice if done regularly, but someone doing it would have to be doing lots of physical activity, at a minimum, to be able to fit in so many calories, which would affect the analysis.

Also, how it makes you feel is important, and I just assume that most people understand that eating a lb of sugar per day won't make them feel too good. I guess others assume people are idiots and must be warned against the most bizarre behaviors.

And no, I don't see eating 3-4 pieces of bread (which might even be quite small pieces, we have no idea) as the same as eating a lb of sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP, it's fine, I just know that personally, bread doesn't fill me up at all, so if I have more than 200 calories of bread in a day, I get too hungry (and I usually pick whole grain bread for more fiber).