What's the one kitchen tool?

Options
s0987
s0987 Posts: 22 Member
I'm not much of a cook but I'm trying to get into it to eat healthier...I've been wanting a spiralizer to encourage more veggie eating, but now I'm considering a food scale...
What's the one kitchen item that helped you the most in starting to eat healthier?

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    scale
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Scale followed by crock pot.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Food scale
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Scale, I wouldn't be without it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Scale followed by crock pot.

This exactly for me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Scale followed by George Foreman grill
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have a spiralizer but rarely use it. Mostly because I forget I have it and don't like having to clean it.

I can't really think of a kitchen tool that helped me lose weight, at least no more than they helped me gain weight.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    food scale for sure!
    followed by my nutri ninja.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Food scale followed by crock pot.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Definitely the food scale. Then the crock pot.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm all about my blendtec blender! After I got it, I started making meal replacement smoothies, at least one per day. Usually two. I also use it for soups, nut butters and processing veggie burgers.
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with many previous posters... my food scale is a must. When I first started to try and eat healthier, I started with just portion control. I didn't want to change too many things all at once at get discouraged. So, I ate all the same things I had been eating, but I used my scale and measuring cups to actually measure out 1 cup of cereal or 2oz of pasta. It was SOOO eye-opening. I had no idea just how MUCH I was eating. If you are only going to get one thing, I recommend the food scale. But I also swear by my Slow Cooker and my George Foreman grill for healthy ways to cook those measured foods!! :smiley:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A good knife.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Scale
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Crockpot
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Food scale
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Vitamix, every kitchen should have one. Even though expensive, its really worth those $s.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    100% scale!! Most other gadgets you can do without by using another gadget for the same thing, but nothing replicates a scale.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Food scale, crock pot, and decent garlic press.
  • kyungs
    kyungs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Grrr... Just typed a big reply and lost it! I'll try again. Must have a scale they don't cost a fortune but will help you understand exactly how much your eating, along with the scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a good chef knife or Santoku knife you should have a steamer basket and a smoothie blender (I have an ninja ultima - it works great without the big vitamix price tag.). I have an oil mister and it uses MUCH less oil than pouring or spreading. I have the spiralizer and it does a great job with Asian food prep. With it, I make things that I wouldn't otherwise bother making and Asian foods are generally healthy well, Chinese not as much but Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean cuisines already lean toward very healthy and are easy to modify to reduced calories without losing taste. The crock pot is also a must have - so many good broth based, legumes or plant purée soups to be made. A nice kitchen gadget - get a good avocado slicer/pit remover/slicer. I love mine. Does a great job on these nutritious little gems. I also have a zojirushi water boiler so I have green tea available on demand. If you take your lunch to work, a bento box is perfectly designed to house you weighed meal elements. Also love my tofu press and my cast iron ceramic Dutch oven.