+1
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Scale
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I just got a vegetti deluxe and can't wait bc I wanted a spiralizer and no one knew wher I could buy one! But first a good scale with a Tare function absolute first must. 2nd a very good blender like my ninja pro 1200 it can handle anything! I love it. My juicer jack lalanne is awesome. I want now a Excalibur dehydrator and a vitamix in the future. I found also a set of shredders or mandolin slicer invaluable. I want to get a good set of knifes and a better chopping block. My favorite knife is my bread knife it slices wonderfully through tomatoes. Now I'm focusing on containers for portion control and food prep.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Crock pot
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Good ingredients
    Good scale
    Good knife
    Good pans.

Cheers, h.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't remember my knife being anything special, but I'm always shocked when I use knives in other peoples kitchens and they're blunt.

Other item for me is, frankly, a microwave. I use the defrost function quite a bit for meats and the vegetable option for frozen veg. This means I can store foods for longer and eat them on demand whenever I want
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hee hee. I have 3 knives in our house that are mine alone. I keep a twin if one of them with a steel at my sons. And have been known to take a knife with me, just in case, if I am going to be working in the kitchen of someone else's house.

Dull and inappropriate knives are a pet peeve.
    Cheers, h.
  • rathouse28
    rathouse28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. I use a pressure cooker to meal prep, does the same trick as a crock pot but 5x faster.

2. Blender for my on the go meals.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Before you spend $$ to $$$$ on a spiral cutter, this works just fine to determine just how much you'll actually cook/eat foods cut in such a manner:

https://www.oxo.com/julienne-peeler-208

OT: digital kitchen scale that weighs in both grams and ounces
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Scale and a smaller plate. My regular portions are split so I trick myself into "getting seconds"...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    s0987 wrote: »
    I'm not much of a cook but I'm trying to get into it to eat healthier...I've been wanting a spiralizer to encourage more veggie eating, but now I'm considering a food scale...
    What's the one kitchen item that helped you the most in starting to eat healthier?

A food scale is very helpful in determining proper accurate portion sizes. I think every kitchen should have one.
    I like my food processor because it makes chopping or shredding vegetables faster and easier. I can also use it to make hummus or puree fruit. Lots of functions in one device.
    I do have a spiralizer and it is fun but I don't use it as much as the food scale or food processor.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Good ingredients
    Good scale
    Good knife
    Good pans.

Cheers, h.

This.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Food scale

And a good vegetable peeler. I've got several in my utensil drawer that I cannot figure out ... I don't know, maybe I need someone to show me how to use them, but they feel fragile in my hand and I end up chipping away at things like cucumbers and potatoes without accomplishing much. But I've got a different style which works really well. Within seconds I can have a cucumber peeled and sliced and into a bowl with my cottage cheese. :)

And also a freezer. I've gone through short periods of time in my life (a year or two here and there) without a freezer, and I miss it. It's so nice to be able to load up a shopping cart with frozen veg, chicken mince, etc. etc. and just freeze the lot. That means we've always got a variety of veggies on hand and it only takes a few minutes to have them ready to eat.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Food scale
    Smaller plates and bowls (I often use 1-1.5 cup bowls and bread/salad plates for my meals)
    Skillet/pans
    Sharp knives
    Spirilizer (this has become my new best friend -I use zucchini noodles to bulk up smaller meals).
    Ziploc bags/storage containers for food
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Scale.

My spirilizer is sitting in a drawer because it's SUCH A PITA TO CLEAN.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Wife
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    The wife
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Good ingredients
    Good scale
    Good knife
    Good pans.

Cheers, h.

This.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Food scale is my must have. I just ordered the Oxo spiralizer, but expect that to be an occasional thing.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    For helping you reach your weight loss goals, I would say a food scale is the most important tool to have.

For general cooking/food prep purposes... I would say a crock pot, a sharp knife, and a (heavy) cast iron pan.