Anyone have luck recording foods in advance

Options

Replies

• stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yeah, generally do log in advanced, can be lethal though if you have any snacks and forget to post them. tend to catch them the next day (most of the time)
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I log for the day in the morning. It helps me enormously, before I used to get 'snacky' and just grab something I fancied - usually sending me way over my calories. Now I know exactly what snacks I have allocated to my calorie allowance, so there's no guilt.
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I try to log the whole day while I'm eating breakfast. I eat basically the same thing for breakfast every day. My dinner options are listed on a white board on my kitchen door, and in a list on my phone, so I know what things I have the ingredients in the house for. So then it's just a matter of picking a dinner option and plugging it in. The only exception are days that I'm doing a crockpot meal. I'll throw everything in the crockpot the night before and log it in as I'm putting it together. Once breakfast and dinner are logged I can fill in lunch and snacks based on what I happen to have in my office food stash and what I want my numbers to look like for the day. I'll often leave a few calories for after dinner snacks with my hubby.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I prelog.... I make meal plan at the beginning of the weekend for the next week, and prep it all on the weekend for the week... So much easier for me!
  • devkannan649
    devkannan649 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have & it works well. Already sets my "budget" for calories for the day.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while and spent so much time deleting entries that I made that I just gave it up. I do bank calories when I have a special plan for dinner...so I might have a smaller breakfast so that I can have a steak that night. I think of it as being on a budget.
  • alyssadeal88
    alyssadeal88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually will log breakfast and lunch for the week on Monday morning. My job has a cafeteria with a weekly menu that comes out every Monday. Since dinner is up in the air for me most nights it helps to already know how many calories I'll have left on a given night when I am trying to make dinner plans with friends and such.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I plan our meals and snacks a week in advance before I go the grocery store, then buy only what we need, then log everything for the week in advance. I may tweak as I go throughout the week, but knowing what and how much is on plan has helped me (and my husband) lose 25 (and 30) pounds AND KEEP IT OFF. Keeps our grocery bills much, much lower too!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've been known to prelog several weeks in advance. I've been slacking lately and haven't even finished pre-logging for next week. It works for my lifestyle because I rarely have things come up that prevents me from eating the meals I pre-log. I make adjustments as necessary, but I usually end up sticking to the plan. I'm a little too organized and anal about everything in my life, so this is just another thing. I actually like doing it - I like to hit my macros as closely as possible, so it's like a puzzle.

The benefits for me are:
    1. It's much easier making a grocery list when I know what I'm going to eat every day. So it saves me time and money, and I don't waste much food.
    2. I never end up at the end of the day with very few calories/macros left for dinner.
    3. I don't have to scrounge around for something to eat, so I don't end up picking up fast food because I have "no other options" or need something convenient.
    4. Food prep. Not having to cook after work is a huge perk.

The downside? None for me. I pre-log during down time at work, so it's not like it takes up a lot of my free time to do it. And I don't mind eating basically the same stuff all week. I switch it up from week to week and rarely get sick of my meals.
  • ERB632006
    ERB632006 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work at home with 2 small kids and am prone to grabbing and grazing :) Pre-logging is a life saver for me, because I have 5 meals spread out and know what I can eat when I get hungry w/o running out of calories before dinner.
  • VeryCarrie6969
    VeryCarrie6969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. As for those who come up with their meals on the fly - that's me too! I prelog just prior the meal; helps with portion control.
  • meganbreah
    meganbreah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's what I do every day, actually. It helps me plan ahead and set my budget for the day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. My eating is very diverse, so I have no idea what I'm going to eat until I walk into the kitchen and open the fridge/cabinets. I eat at restaurants on the spur of the moment, occasionally eat fast food, etc., so I just log it as it happens. With that said, I always have a pretty good idea of where I'm at (calories/macros) for the day and I tailor my eating accordingly.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Another pre-logger, here. I cook for 5, so like others, planning dinners is just a part of making my grocery list. I deplore shopping, so I'm careful to get everything in one trip. And like others, I track weekly so I'm not trying to make each day identical. It's no big deal to switch around meals depending on moods and minimizing waste. Usually I'll start with logging dinner then fit other meals around that. Sometimes I'll pre-log a couple days in advance if there's stuff I'm really looking forward to eating and I want to be sure it fits. I find I enjoy meals & snacks more when I have been looking forward to them vs. just grabbing what is easy at the moment.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have been here for almost a year. My weight loss started slowing down, so I made a commitment to tighten up on my weights and measurements and logging about 2 months ago.

The change has made a big difference for me. It is much easier to end the day within my calorie goals. Sometimes my day does not go as planned and i have to make changes, but it is very heplful to make a plan ahead of time.

I wish I had started pre-logging sooner!
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to pre-log all of our food for the day. I'm not saying that always do this, but it definitely helps me see where I need adjustment. I tend to eat more calories at dinnertime, so logging dinner first helps me to see how many calories I have left for the day.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging is my life. Not only does it help with calories, but it also changes the dynamic of calorie counting from "I can only have this much for the rest of the day?" to "Look at all the food I get to eat all day tomorrow!" For the most part, I just get the main parts of the meals covered, then fill the rest with protein shakes, string cheese, and ice cream sandwiches.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I got fat by pretty much eating at the slightest whim. I lost weight by putting a conscious effort to eat better. After dinner I see how many calories I have left for snacks and then weigh them out in advance and put them in zip lock bags. I will also most nights prelog my dinner just so i can weigh and go because it's easier that way for me.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I tried this yesterday but ended up sharing my lunch and then wasn't sure how many calories to take back.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i prelog all the nighttime snacks i know i will want & prelog what i might want for dinner too

the rest of the calories i do whatever with on a whim ...and i mean prelog is not set in stone i change and adjust if i want/need to