Gains, Pain & Middle Age - 5 pounds in 3 weeks

Options
Greetings Gainers,

Wasn't easy but I've managed to put on a few (5) pounds. At first it seemed a impossible task. The food diary on MFP does help. For me anyways. I've also come to the realization I'm not young anymore. Funny how the mind still thinks it's 25 yet the joints and tendons tell you otherwise. With that I'm changing my weight training routine to lighter weight with more hypertrophy tension type movements. See if it's easier on the cuffs and everything else. Been doing a lot of reading and think maybe a 3 on 1 off split may be to much too? Guess time will tell.

Cheers :-)

Replies

• jordan541
    jordan541 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a structured hypertrophy program and sticking to it, rather than making up your own plan. See it through consistently and you will get good results even if you're middle aged
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jordan541 wrote: »
    I would suggest finding a structured hypertrophy program and sticking to it, rather than making up your own plan. See it through consistently and you will get good results even if you're middle aged

Thanks. So many plans/routines. Have any suggestions or links?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jordan541 wrote: »

Thanks. So many plans/routines. Have any suggestions or links?

Lyle's Generic Bulking Routine - not a bad place to start.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Another place you can look is the New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's a book, found on amazon, that will discuss routine and variation of moves as designed by a person who is in their 40's and recognizes that there are limitations.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Looking good. Keep it up.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hear your pain. I'd always enjoyed working out with great intensity, but recovery was always tough, as I got older I had to accept reality and give my body the time to rest in between workouts. Currently I workout M-W-F and leave Tuesday and Thursday for some light physical activity. This split has proven to be perfect for me. My advice will be to listen to your body, how do you feel when you workout 3 days in a row? 2 days? There are templates but I think we need to make the workout fit us, not the other way around.
    Cheers!
  • 883xlsportster
    edited January 2016
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    Currently I workout M-W-F and leave Tuesday and Thursday for some light physical activity. This split has proven to be perfect for me.

What body parts are you doing on these days? I've been doing as follows the last 4 weeks. Mind you I started off light. It worked for me when I was 25. Seems to be working now at 49. I've put a 1/2" on chest and 1 " on arms but I'm hurting ;-) Mostly shoulders and knees.
    Day 1 - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Day 2 - Legs & Abs
    Day 3 - Back/Traps/Biceps
    Day 4- Off
    Day 5-repeat cycle.

I did buy the book as suggested psulemon and checked out the Lyles Routine as per AnvilHead.

• memo1974
    Options
    Currently I workout M-W-F and leave Tuesday and Thursday for some light physical activity. This split has proven to be perfect for me.

What body parts are you doing on these days? I've been doing as follows the last 4 weeks. Mind you I started off light. It worked for me when I was 25. Seems to be working now at 49. I've put a 1/2" on chest and 1 " on arms but I'm hurting ;-) Mostly shoulders and knees.
    Day 2 - Legs & Abs
    Day 4- Off
    Day 5-repeat cycle.

I did buy the book as suggested psulemon and checked out the Lyles Routine as per AnvilHead.

I am doing DUP. If you are not familiar with the concept, look it up, it stands for "Daily Undulating Program"
    Basically, you do the same exercises on these days but rotate the sets-reps on each day.
    Then you can add a little of complementary work on each day.
    So far, "I'm loving it..." wait, where did I hear that before?
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Day 2 - Legs & Abs
    Day 4- Off
    Day 5-repeat cycle.

I am doing DUP. If you are not familiar with the concept, look it up, it stands for "Daily Undulating Program"
    Basically, you do the same exercises on these days but rotate the sets-reps on each day.

DUP = Daily Undulating Periodization**

Daily - Same core exercises each day depending on what you choose, but most use some variation of the squat, bench and deadlift.

Undulating - A change in intensity and volume each session.

Periodization - Progressive program with periods of light, medium, and heavy work.

As @memo1974 mentioned, add in a few accessory lifts and there you have DUP.

But this is not a program, it's a theory. So I suggest looking it up to understand the underlying concepts before applying it to your needs. You certainly can use higher rep schemes with it though.
  • 883xlsportster
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the info fellas. Personally I'm going to keep it simple ( sets/reps /weight etc) for the next few weeks. The big question is recovery time at my age. This is something I'll have to figure out for myself going forward. Seems most info is suggesting 1 body part per week. I'm thinking squats on Fridays so I can recover and walk by Monday...kidding..sort of ;-)
  • memo1974
    Options

Day 2 - Legs & Abs
    Day 4- Off
    Day 5-repeat cycle.

DUP = Daily Undulating Periodization**

Daily - Same core exercises each day depending on what you choose, but most use some variation of the squat, bench and deadlift.

Undulating - A change in intensity and volume each session.

Periodization - Progressive program with periods of light, medium, and heavy work.

As @memo1974 mentioned, add in a few accessory lifts and there you have DUP.

But this is not a program, it's a theory. So I suggest looking it up to understand the underlying concepts before applying it to your needs. You certainly can use higher rep schemes with it though.

oh man! now my wife has more reason to tell me "you are wrong!" lol

Thanks for correcting my mistake, I knew it didn't sound right, but I was too lazy to Google it.
  • 883xlsportster
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lift shoes and knee sleeves.

lift_shoes.jpg

As seasoned power lifters and many others can attest to, the investment in this gear can make a world of difference on knees. Certainly has reduced my discomfort.

Had a hard time finding any kind of lifting shoes around here. Not keen on buying via the web so I took what I could get. Seems the funky colours of 1989 are making a come back. Grayscaled the pic to reduce eye shock.
  • memo1974
    Options
    Lift shoes and knee sleeves.

lift_shoes.jpg

As seasoned power lifters and many others can attest to, the investment in this gear can make a world of difference on knees. Certainly has reduced my discomfort.

Had a hard time finding any kind of lifting shoes around here. Not keen on buying via the web so I took what I could get. Seems the funky colours of 1989 are making a come back. Grayscaled the pic to reduce eye shock.

Cool shoes, what brand are those?
  • 883xlsportster
    Options

Cool shoes, what brand are those?
    Thanks Memo,
    Reebok CROSSFIT LIFTER 2.0. I was hoping to find romaleos but nothing local. These along with the knee sleeves made my squat day like non other I've had. A solid, secure & comfortable feeling. Not that I'm crushing large weight. ;-)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 40's and have started my own lean bulk. The only advice I can offer is something I heard from Mark Rippetoe, that volume is the main obstacle for the older lifter.

I'm sticking to two compounds and an isolation per session, with a rep range of 4-6 for 3 sets after a few warm ups.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    following along. different goals, but similar situation. I still want results/progress, still think I'm 20, but I feel 40 and working around some issues.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I'm in my early 40's and have started my own lean bulk. The only advice I can offer is something I heard from Mark Rippetoe, that volume is the main obstacle for the older lifter.

I'm sticking to two compounds and an isolation per session, with a rep range of 4-6 for 3 sets after a few warm ups.
    Thanks. I've almost convinced myself that once a week may be better. Example. Chest Mondays. Legs Wednesdays & Back Fridays.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    following along. different goals, but similar situation. I still want results/progress, still think I'm 20, but I feel 40 and working around some issues.
    Indeed. I'm working around issues too. Or working through them .. heh

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've almost convinced myself that once a week may be better. Example. Chest Mondays. Legs Wednesdays & Back Fridays.

My routine was push, pull, legs but working legs at home with front squats is really awkward.

I'm moving to A rest B rest A rest etc.

I've ordered a trap bar to deadlift/squat with.

I'll probably do

A. Pull ups, rows, calfs, curls
    B. OH Press, trap bar squats, floor press.

I do think I enjoy a routine with more frequent workouts per bodypart.

But whatever works for you is what counts.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Greetings Gainers,

Wasn't easy but I've managed to put on a few (5) pounds. At first it seemed a impossible task. The food diary on MFP does help. For me anyways. I've also come to the realization I'm not young anymore. Funny how the mind still thinks it's 25 yet the joints and tendons tell you otherwise. With that I'm changing my weight training routine to lighter weight with more hypertrophy tension type movements. See if it's easier on the cuffs and everything else. Been doing a lot of reading and think maybe a 3 on 1 off split may be to much too? Guess time will tell.

Cheers :-)

Congrats on the gains. Yeah, I know how aging on the connective tissue is and it's not fun but I'm too stubborn to stop lifting too heavy so what can you do? I think an upper lower split works best for me as it has a decent amount of frequency but also decent amount of rest.