Gains, Pain & Middle Age - 5 pounds in 3 weeks

Options

Replies

• 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Today marks 3 months since I first picked up a weight and started eating better since my training layoff 25 years ago.

y1v41xxudajd.jpg
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Great work. How old?
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    Thanks Springfield & Ben.
    Ben,
    49 years young. 50 in Oct.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Looking very young indeed. I'll be 43 years young at the end of month, been health conscious and exercising for nearly 4 years after doing nothing but getting unhealthy for 15 years.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I'm in my early 40's and have started my own lean bulk. The only advice I can offer is something I heard from Mark Rippetoe, that volume is the main obstacle for the older lifter.

That's interesting. Funny enough I seem to tolerate high volume very well despite being 56. I did 10 x 10 on holiday recently as I was very limited on weight/equipment in the hotel gym and apart from some DOMS recovery wasn't really an issue.

I do have very good cardio fitness though so maybe that helps?

What kills me is trying to go below 3RM, joints/tendons really don't appreciate it.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm in my early 40's and have started my own lean bulk. The only advice I can offer is something I heard from Mark Rippetoe, that volume is the main obstacle for the older lifter.

That's interesting. Funny enough I seem to tolerate high volume very well despite being 56. I did 10 x 10 on holiday recently as I was very limited on weight/equipment in the hotel gym and apart from some DOMS recovery wasn't really an issue.

What kills me is trying to go below 3RM, joints/tendons really don't appreciate it.

I have similar issues as you. I tend to have less issues with 8-15 reps than I do with 3-5 reps. In fact, I had to stop doing PHUL for that reason and now I use German Body Comp for my workout program.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options

I had the same concern early on. Has not been a problem thus far but I'm not PL. I am finding my push,leg,pull,rest & repeat split with hypertrophy progressive overload is not making me as sore. I still feel it in my triceps but everything else doesn't get the good post pump sore for a few days anymore. Wondering if thats a sign of overtraining or something else? Perhaps more reps and a change to a 5 day split?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I had the same concern early on. Has not been a problem thus far but I'm not PL. I am finding my push,leg,pull,rest & repeat split with hypertrophy progressive overload is not making me as sore. I still feel it in my triceps but everything else doesn't get the good post pump sore for a few days anymore. Wondering if thats a sign of overtraining or something else? Perhaps more reps and a change to a 5 day split?

Muscle soreness isn't really an indication of training. And your body has probably adapted to the routine. But as long as you are increasing weight or reps, you are in a solid position.

BTW, I rarely get upper body soreness, but leg days... oh leg days... they beat me like no other.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Looking very young indeed. I'll be 43 years young at the end of month, been health conscious and exercising for nearly 4 years after doing nothing but getting unhealthy for 15 years.

Thanks. I know what you mean. My diet was coffee & cigarettes for the last 10 years. Yikes!
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Muscle soreness isn't really an indication of training. And your body has probably adapted to the routine. But as long as you are increasing weight or reps, you are in a solid position.

BTW, I rarely get upper body soreness, but leg days... oh leg days... they beat me like no other.

Good to know. Keeping things as is for now. Thanks for the tip.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Have you increased your calories as you gained weight to allow for the increase in TDEE?

I've noticed for the last week, I'm feeling hungry more often and it's leading me think I need to increase my calories a little.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    Have you increased your calories as you gained weight to allow for the increase in TDEE?

I've noticed for the last week, I'm feeling hungry more often and it's leading me think I need to increase my calories a little.

Good question. All I've used thus far is the goal calculator here on MFP. I did update my weight via the report but not sure if that was updated for TDEE? Something I'll look at this weekend. I usually go over my daily cals so I have room. I get hungry too and not sure if required or just use to having food every 2 to 3 hours so now my belly is asking for more? Strange considering I could fast 6 or 7 hours daily without any hungry pains or desire to eat.
    This is what I have setup if it makes any sense. I'm still kind of new to this calorie counting.
    Screen_Shot_2016_03_16_at_5_38_45_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2016_03_16_at_5_51_20_PM.png

• pbryd
    Options
    I've been on 2600 daily for a while now, and while I have gained this month, progress is really slow.

My thoughts are to wait until the start of April and bump the calories up a little for a few months and see how it affects my results.
  • pbryd
    Options
    I thought I'd share this article about macros and age.

In a nutshell, over 40's should take in more protein and fat with less carbs.

Protein recommendations: 41-65 years old: 1.1-1.4g/lb bodyweight
    Carbohydrate recommendations: 41-65 years old: 1.2-2.2g/lb bodyweight
    Fat recommendations: 41-65 years old: 0.45-0.6g/lb bodyweight

https://www.biolayne.com/articles/nutrition/anabolic-eating-for-your-age/
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think women and men differ, as well as age and genetic makeup.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    I thought I'd share this article about macros and age.

In a nutshell, over 40's should take in more protein and fat with less carbs.

Protein recommendations: 41-65 years old: 1.1-1.4g/lb bodyweight
    Carbohydrate recommendations: 41-65 years old: 1.2-2.2g/lb bodyweight
    Fat recommendations: 41-65 years old: 0.45-0.6g/lb bodyweight

https://www.biolayne.com/articles/nutrition/anabolic-eating-for-your-age/

Thanks for the post. I tweaked my diet a few weeks ago. I did lower my carbs and the timing. My last carbs of the day are post workout which is usually around 5 PM. I've been doing a lot of core work with cardio sprints on the treadmill. I'm starting to get my belly bulk errr ..middle age spread ... errr core under control somewhat.
    Abs are under there somewhere ;-)

• pbryd
    Options
    What are your plans for the next few months. Carry on a lean bulk, maintain or cut?

By the sounds of it a maintenance and some light cardio are what you're thinking.
  • 883xlsportster
    Options
    What are your plans for the next few months. Carry on a lean bulk, maintain or cut?

By the sounds of it a maintenance and some light cardio are what you're thinking.

Going for a slow, lean bulk like you. Would like to cut my bodyfat a little at the same time. Not sure if possible. Only time will tell. Week by week we go........

Do you know your BF? I have a fancy digital scale but don't think it's very accurate for BF? Mine says 20%??
  • chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    BF callipers are the more accurate way of measuring body fat. You can do 3 point measuring or 5 point measuring depending on how accurate you are wanting. EBay sells them cheap.