Low carb/high fat - cholesterol

Options
I've been following a low carb/high fat diet. My cholesterol is an borderline. Has anyone had success with this diet and dealing with cholesterol?
Thank you for feedback.

Replies

• missjayne98
    missjayne98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am about to try this and I struggle with cholesterol. Remember not to eat too much fat and mostly eat healthy fats and healthy carbs. Instead of high fat, keep it at reg. Fat and increase protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, a LCHF diet causes triglycerides to drop, HDL to go up, and LDL stays the same but switches to the larger fluffier pattern B type. :)

Try the Low Carber Daily group for more info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There is usually a thread going about how cholesterol improves on a low carb diet.

Good luck!
  • Silpeanut
    Silpeanut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am doing an Atkins diet of low carb w/ a higher intake of fats and proteins but I am sticking to lean proteins and low fat dairy not sure about my cholesterol but I have had success so far weight loss wise. Low carb doesn't mean eating high fat foods, I made that mistake when I started and seeing much better results now. Feel free to add me my diary is open and I get a lot of inspiration and motivation from my MFP friends and always happy to give it back. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Silpeanut wrote: »
    I am doing an Atkins diet of low carb w/ a higher intake of fats and proteins but I am sticking to lean proteins and low fat dairy not sure about my cholesterol but I have had success so far weight loss wise. Low carb doesn't mean eating high fat foods, I made that mistake when I started and seeing much better results now. Feel free to add me my diary is open and I get a lot of inspiration and motivation from my MFP friends and always happy to give it back. Good luck!

Most people are okay with fats. In most people it seems to be the carbs that affect cholesterol and not the fats.
  • mfr0125
    mfr0125 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback everyone!
    Mvmomkeato- I'd love to add you as a friend.