Is walking enough of an exercise?

Options
Hello
I walk about 8 miles daily but usually 2.5-3mph so not by any means fast. Am I getting any health benefits from walking since I'm not walking at a very fast pace? I'm just wondering if it's even worth walking so much or if I should walk less but at a faster pace. Thanks

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think so.... I walk five mornings a week to the gym and back.... 3.2 miles in just under an hour total. At the gym, I do 35 min on the elliptical at level 11 and 10 to 15 min of circuit on the machines. It seems to be benefiting me. If I didn't have the gym, I would just walk..... Do you walk with a purposeful stride? I think they say that's key!
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by that? I've never heard that phrase before. As in do I enjoy my walking? I do my walking everyday because I feel refreshed by it
  • pbandz
    Options
    But otherwise good to know someone else is benefitting from a lot of low intensity walking
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise I do, and not at record speed either. I can burn around 1000 calories on days I walk 25,000ish steps.

Purposeful stride means, do you walk with oomph or purpose or just casually stroll?
  • pbandz
    Options
    It's usually a casual stroll. Sometimes I walk on the treadmill and focus more on keeping a good pace and staying focused.. But normally I just carry a book or my phone and read for a few hours while I walk
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    Hello
    I walk about 8 miles daily but usually 2.5-3mph so not by any means fast. Am I getting any health benefits from walking since I'm not walking at a very fast pace? I'm just wondering if it's even worth walking so much or if I should walk less but at a faster pace. Thanks

I power walk 30 to 120 minutes every day. I stay in heart rate zone 3/4/5 so I get a good cardio training effect and burn a lot of calories. I walk at an average pace of 4.5 mph, and some of my routes are on hilly terrain.

Over the past year I have lost 57 lbs. pretty much just by walking. My resting heart rate has gone from the 80's to the 60's, my VO2max (fitness level) has gone from fair to good, and my blood work went from poor to normal.

Walking is one of the best exercises you can do, and it's the perfect amount of impact to keep your joints healthy too.

If you want to do it for cardio, you gotta do it till you're huffin and puffin and sweatin.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What benefit are you trying to get? Burning calories to eat back? Just general cardiorespiratory health?

The general recommendation is 75 minutes a week (3 days x 25 minutes) of vigorous intensity exercise such as running or 150 minutes a week (5 days x 30 minutes) of low intensity exercise such as brisk walking for general health.

If you're looking to increase your efficiency at cardio you could include stage training/HIIT or circuit training.

If you're looking to just burn as many calories as possible you could up the intensity.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Walking vs not walking will always have some benefit, regardless of how fast or slow you go.

If you stay at slower speeds, possible improvements in cardiovascular health will be limited somewhat. If you really want to shoot for major improvements, often mixing it up and doing quicker paces to increase heart rate are needed.

So really, it's all about the goals you are shooting for. Plenty of people stay healthy just walking at fairly low paces. For me personally a walk is often much more relaxing than a harder workout, so that is a plus. Stress relief and having time to enjoy the activity you are doing might be more important to some.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's usually a casual stroll. Sometimes I walk on the treadmill and focus more on keeping a good pace and staying focused.. But normally I just carry a book or my phone and read for a few hours while I walk

I take my phone with me too. I'm walking right now as I'm typing this lol I average around 120 steps a minute

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and am a big advocate of people going whatever they can given their current fitness level. At the same time we each need to kept pushing ourselves. If you're strolling with a book and faking this question, maybe that's a clue that you have the ability to pick up the pace a bit. Walk got the same length of time, but faster. Or go fast/slow intervals.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Walking is something I do every single day. I consider it a favorite activity even when the weather is bad. Whenever I arrive at a new city the very first thing I do is scope out the blocks and walk around. You will benefit from your walks for sure and you can always add to it if you feel you need more.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Walking like that will have definite benefits for calorie burn. It's also healthy for you.

From a cardiovascular fitness and performance standpoint it isn't going to do a whole lot for you, especially if you've already been doing it for a while.
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For 10 years I ran (pretty much all through my 30's, 5-6 km a day, 5-6 times a week). A few years ago I was struck with shingles, then with sciatica, and eventually with chronic piriformis syndrome (aka runner's butt). For a long time any type of exercise would exacerbate the extreme discomfort and numbness that ran from my lower back to deep in my heel. Even walking was a struggle, and because of the fatigue I felt from not sleeping at night with the pain, I became extremely inactive. Last July, I started Pilates to strengthen my core and relieve the pressure on my back, and in October started adding in a few walks a week - very slow short walks at first, and eventually longer and faster-paced. I now walk at least 8 km a day, slower or faster depending on whether the piriformis is acting up (which is less and less and less), and I can honestly say that the walking (combined with Pilates and healthy eating) has completely re-sculpted what had become a pretty dumpy body. Any walking is better than no walking. I feel very lucky to be able to walk with ease again. Best of luck with your goals!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Used to run but now my knees are junk. Now I walk everyday - 75 minutes. I also use walking poles (but in trekking style (as opposed to nordic walking style) with the poles moving out ahead of your body.) Using poles helps with upper body and when I do cross country walks with my husband on weekends it helps keep balance on difficult or muddy terrain.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    Used to run but now my knees are junk. Now I walk everyday - 75 minutes. I also use walking poles (but in trekking style (as opposed to nordic walking style) with the poles moving out ahead of your body.) Using poles helps with upper body and when I do cross country walks with my husband on weekends it helps keep balance on difficult or muddy terrain.

Yes! I've only just discovered hiking poles, aren't they awesome? They help the arms get a workout whilst making the actual hike easier

• scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think walking is very beneficial and in the past it has certainly worked for me to lose some weight and generally get fitter. I have a couple of suggestions: how about using an app on your phone / fitbit so you can track and analyse what you are doing? Your walking speed and calorie loss may surprise you, as well as this motivating you to walk a little faster and see how that effects things. Secondly, what sort of terrain are you walking on? Walking up and down hills rather than all flat routes has a good cardio effect, I call it 'urban hiking' ;-)
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say -- the app I highly recommend for smartphone use is 'Mapmyrun' (no running necessary!). I think it is the same company as Myfitnesspal now.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hello

Heck yes it is worth it!!!
  • pbandz
    Options

I take my phone with me too. I'm walking right now as I'm typing this lol I average around 120 steps a minute

I average 120 as well
  • pbandz
    Options
    scfarrant wrote: »
    I think walking is very beneficial and in the past it has certainly worked for me to lose some weight and generally get fitter. I have a couple of suggestions: how about using an app on your phone / fitbit so you can track and analyse what you are doing? Your walking speed and calorie loss may surprise you, as well as this motivating you to walk a little faster and see how that effects things. Secondly, what sort of terrain are you walking on? Walking up and down hills rather than all flat routes has a good cardio effect, I call it 'urban hiking' ;-)

I just walk on flat terrain mostly.. Be it the treadmill, inside my house, or hiking trails behind my house which are mostly flat