Eating Disorders recovering as Vegans...

Options
13»

Replies

• BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BunnyBomb wrote: »
    Wow i didn't know that people with eating disorders commonly recover as Vegan. I like questions like these, it makes people think about things they potentially wouldn't otherwise.

To the OP - is this commonality something you've noticed in real life or did a recent article spur your thinking? If it's the latter is there a particular article that stirred up the question?

I did a quick Google myself but all I found was (what looks like) a decade long debate about whether Veganism is s cover for eating disorders, which isn't what you were asking about really.

I did find one article though where a Vegan author rips the living hell out of some publication for even daring to make the connection! Haha. So it seems like an area of some... preciousness, with candid authors to boot

It sparked my curiosity when I found several YouTubers who use to struggle with eating disorders and they mentioned how they recovered as Vegans. Something about how even though they noticed putting weight on they were okay with it because they felt good it was from whole based foods and not processed junk like the majority of Americans consume.

Thanks very much for the reply. That's very interesting indeed and I can understand the thinking.

I must admit, when I had to cut meat, dairy & eggs from my diet (medical reasons) I found my behaviour changed and I now cook far more things from scratch. I think I got tired of combing through the ingredients on pre-made items. I'm not sure, I've never stopped to think about why, but I do know my cooking entirely changed. I think I get satisfaction out of knowing exactly what ingredients are in a meal, or at least peace of mind. The consequences for getting it wrong are pretty dire in my case, so I think I spent a good while "on edge" about food until I made the change to cook. I even grow a tonne of food now and have a greenhouse that looks like the garden of Eden haha!

I wonder if those recovering from eating disorders go through the same changes in thinking or habit? I also wonder if the act of "cooking your own food" has an indirect psychological benefit for someone recovering from this kind of...is it correct to say 'food anxiety'?

Lots of interesting questions...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wow i didn't know that people with eating disorders commonly recover as Vegan. I like questions like these, it makes people think about things they potentially wouldn't otherwise.

To the OP - is this commonality something you've noticed in real life or did a recent article spur your thinking? If it's the latter is there a particular article that stirred up the question?

I did a quick Google myself but all I found was (what looks like) a decade long debate about whether Veganism is s cover for eating disorders, which isn't what you were asking about really.

I did find one article though where a Vegan author rips the living hell out of some publication for even daring to make the connection! Haha. So it seems like an area of some... preciousness, with candid authors to boot

It sparked my curiosity when I found several YouTubers who use to struggle with eating disorders and they mentioned how they recovered as Vegans. Something about how even though they noticed putting weight on they were okay with it because they felt good it was from whole based foods and not processed junk like the majority of Americans consume.

And I am not calling meat processed junk. What I am calling processed junk of foods like chips, chocolate, candy, stuff like that. I understand not everyone will agree in being Vegan. I mean my fiancé loves meat. I won't pressure him to cut that out because that's his choice. And his family raises cows and pigs so they are big meat eaters. Again, their choice and Vegan is mine. They won't judge me for my choices and so I won't judge them of theirs.

I don't understand this. Vegans can eat chips, chocolate, and candy. Going vegan doesn't eliminate these foods. Going vegan and maintaining additional restrictions would eliminate those foods. But if someone went vegan *and* maintained additional restrictions, I would hope they would stay in close contact with their treatment team to make sure they were not restricting too much.

Dude chocolate lots of time contains milk.

Vegans.
    Don't.
    Consume.
    Milk.
    From.
    Cows.

Do.
    You.
    Understand?

I've been vegan for ten years. I buy chocolate without milk. While much chocolate does added milk, there are many options that don't include milk -- I can buy chocolate bars, chips, baking chocolate, and cocoa powder that is all free of animal products. I have found these options online, in airports, Trader Joe's, Target, Whole Foods, and even gas stations. One of my lunches this week included a delicious dark chocolate bar with sea salt. Not only was it vegan, it was made in my community from fair trade chocolate.

Or are we doing this one word per line?

Vegans.
    Can.
    Buy.
    Dark.
    Chocolate.
    Or.
    Chocolate.
    Made.
    With.
    Non-Dairy.
    Milk.
    And.
    Eat.
    It.
    If.
    They.
    Choose.

Where do you get vegan chocolate?

As I said in my post, I've found vegan chocolate online, in airport shops, Trader Joe's, Target, Whole Foods, other grocery stores, and even at gas stations. Check the labels on dark chocolate -- many are made without any added dairy. If you go online or at some health food stores (like Whole Foods), you can even find chocolate made with dairy-free milk that has a taste and consistency like that of regular milk chocolate.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And I am not calling meat processed junk. What I am calling processed junk of foods like chips, chocolate, candy, stuff like that. I understand not everyone will agree in being Vegan. I mean my fiancé loves meat. I won't pressure him to cut that out because that's his choice. And his family raises cows and pigs so they are big meat eaters. Again, their choice and Vegan is mine. They won't judge me for my choices and so I won't judge them of theirs.

I don't understand this. Vegans can eat chips, chocolate, and candy. Going vegan doesn't eliminate these foods. Going vegan and maintaining additional restrictions would eliminate those foods. But if someone went vegan *and* maintained additional restrictions, I would hope they would stay in close contact with their treatment team to make sure they were not restricting too much.

Dude chocolate lots of time contains milk.

Vegans.
    Don't.
    Consume.
    Milk.
    From.
    Cows.

Do.
    You.
    Understand?

I've been vegan for ten years. I buy chocolate without milk. While much chocolate does added milk, there are many options that don't include milk -- I can buy chocolate bars, chips, baking chocolate, and cocoa powder that is all free of animal products. I have found these options online, in airports, Trader Joe's, Target, Whole Foods, and even gas stations. One of my lunches this week included a delicious dark chocolate bar with sea salt. Not only was it vegan, it was made in my community from fair trade chocolate.

Or are we doing this one word per line?

Vegans.
    Can.
    Buy.
    Dark.
    Chocolate.
    Or.
    Chocolate.
    Made.
    With.
    Non-Dairy.
    Milk.
    And.
    Eat.
    It.
    If.
    They.
    Choose.

Where do you get vegan chocolate?

Here:
    http://bfy.tw/3ixY
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!