124»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I think this is so dramatic.

Penalized for eating well?

Your body logs the calories you eat regardless of whether or not you log it in your diary. Whats even the point of logging your food if you aren't going to get an idea of how much you're eating?

Don't even get me started on the fact that people prepare veggies and fruits by adding calories (oils, butters, sugars, and cheese!) and think they are being "healthy".

At the end of the day, you don't get brownie points for not eating junk and opting for a fruit. It comes down to total calories, and refusing to log it because "it's healthy though!" is just plain silly. It's setting yourself up for failure.

I see nothing wrong with butter, and oils. I don't like cheese and sugars...meh. As long as you log and account for them.

I think that was the point.

Chances are if you're not logging the veggies themselves, you're also not logging the related oils, etc.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I always have...and resented every calorie I have logged... its like being penalised for eating well!! (a little over dramatic I know)

just wondering does everyone else log each and ever grape, apple, carrot, celery, tomato?

I tried doing this with my budget. I didn't pay my mortgage because it felt like being penalized and instead I wanted to spend money on fun things.
    On a side note, do you have a free couch at your place?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I log everything that has calories or nutrition. I am all in for the health when it comes to eating. I like to make sure I am getting enough vitamin A and C and those are hard to track if you don't log fruits and vegetables.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Your body logs the calories you eat regardless of whether or not you log it in your diary. Whats even the point of logging your food if you aren't going to get an idea of how much you're eating?

Don't even get me started on the fact that people prepare veggies and fruits by adding calories (oils, butters, sugars, and cheese!) and think they are being "healthy".

At the end of the day, you don't get brownie points for not eating junk and opting for a fruit. It comes down to total calories, and refusing to log it because "it's healthy though!" is just plain silly. It's setting yourself up for failure.

I see nothing wrong with butter, and oils. I don't like cheese and sugars...meh. As long as you log and account for them.

I think that was the point.

Chances are if you're not logging the veggies themselves, you're also not logging the related oils, etc.

that was my point exactly. The number of people eating roasted veggies cooked in oil and not counting it... it's... insane
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Seriously. Be a little humble man. We know you are a PhD at this.

There s a time when everyone starts at A.

OP, it's a habit, a lifestyle you have to build. Ask yourself a question "When was the last time I did this". If the answer is "Never" just keep doing and honestly you'll get good a it. But give it a time.

There was nothing about my post being rude or mean. The sensitivity when offering an opinion... goodness
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    drbxgold wrote: »
    With fruit yeah, sometimes... veg not so much because it is usually less calorically dense. Most bowls of fruit will clock in at around 150+ kcals and 20 carbs, whereas veg is usually 1/4 of that.

That. Fruit yes. Non starchy veggies, no
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Is this a mean veggies thread yet?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Penalized for eating delicious food that fills you up? Interesting. Yes, I could fruit and veg as I consume hundreds of calories worth per day. A banana has as many calories as 2-3 oreos.

I'll just have the Oreo's then!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that my ex is doing a weight watchers program where she said fruits and vegetables were free in the point system. I have never agreed with their point system but it's at least an easy shorthand for calories, but I don't get the idea of free foods, particularly starchy vegetables and fruits. I can see leafy greens being a little more liberal since it's hard to get a lot of calories from them but certainly potatoes, carrots and gourds are a lot more calorific and fruits can be really high in calories.
  • wilddustie67
    wilddustie67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    More calorie dense items and servings of a single fruit/veg are logged individually, but not "standard" salads. For those, I log the dressing and any higher calorie adds (pine nuts, dried fruit, etc.) separately but log a set amount for my general salad components rather than counting out each bit of raw greens, pepper, onion, etc.

There have been several good suggestions here; you just have to figure out what works best for you. I had to find a balance between consistent logging and being frustrated by logging - lol.
  • tartansheep
    tartansheep Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do, because as a vegetarian I have to - they are a lot of what I eat! Also, I'd feel somewhat dishonest, especially given the sugar in lots of fruit.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I log every single calorie no matter where it comes from. I will probably not log one bite of apple but if I eat a quarter, a half or whole one it definetly goes in. They only way you can track calories in vs calories out is if you count every single one. "Healthy" food or not.
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I count carbs, so you betcha! I count all my fruits and veggies to the bite. I try and get most of my carbs out of veggies, and a few out of fruit as well (avocados, tomatoes, cherries, and berries). But ya gotta log them if you count carbs. But those who count carbs know this all too well already.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes. Justfying shortcuts is why you are here in the first place.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Rather than looking at it as a caloric penalty, try tracking fiber, and then you can think of it as giving yourself credit for the healthy fiber.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Which is healthier? Veggies with butter or no veggies at all?

I don't account for green vegetables but do log the butter or the cheese I put on broccoli. I didn't gain weight eating green beans. Not accounting for vegetables hasn't hindered my progress yet. When closer to goal I may weigh them if I am stuck not losing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Rather than looking at it as a caloric penalty, try tracking fiber, and then you can think of it as giving yourself credit for the healthy fiber.

Yes , Exactly! I get excited when i see my fibre over 30g :lol:
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Today I ate 638 kcal worth of fruit, veg and salad. That figure excludes the salad dressing I had at lunch. Without logging the fruit and veg I'd be on a daily total of 742 kcal, it really adds up!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I log my portions of fruit and veg. These have calories and therefore count toward my 'allowance'.
    Having said that, my sister had a cherry tomato left on her plate that she didn't want - so I ate it. I'm not going to waste my time trying to log 1 tomato. If there was a nice handful of them left-over and I ate them, I'd probably estimate it and track. A lot of it just common sense but I do think weighing and tracking your vegetables etc is important - especially when you are nearing goal weight. :)

My mum thinks I'm beyond crazy for weighing apples and bananas. She thinks it's "worrying" - but it all adds up. It's simple math. It may seem a little illogical to be counting 'healthy' food but my argument is this: You'd log a 100 calorie chocolate bar? So why wouldn't you log a 100 calorie banana?