What to do with my big clothes

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was very drastically changing, I sold everything. We're talking career, casual & active wardrobes in sizes 18-24...there was no need for me to keep that stuff, and at the time (I was also between jobs and newly engaged) I could use the extra cash for other things, so I didn't just donate them to charity shops. I had one huge garage sale and made hundreds in 2 hours. I advertised it on a local plus size clothing group via facebook, and on my city's craigslist. I highly recommend that to anyone who needs/wants extra cash and has a huge amount of stuff to weed out.

As for the subsequent drops in size...the much slower change from 16 through 12 and on...I have mostly donated, and given a few things away to friends & family if I honestly KNEW they would want a specific item and it wouldn't offend the person. Sometimes I lied and said that something still fit but it just didn't suit me in color/style. That helped. Women can be surprisingly sensitive about that stuff, I have found.

Currently I am around size 10 but have several 12s in my wardrobe. I thought I'd keep them just in case...but honestly, even when I "gained" about 8 lb on vacation and had a very slow time getting it back off, those 12s just did not fit properly anymore because my body has changed in various ways. I have no problem getting rid of all my too-big stuff and although I have NO plans to gain weight in the future, if that should happen (say due to an injury or illness) I would just buy some new larger stuff then. With secondhand options and clearance it wouldn't be too big of a hit to my budget.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    get rid of everything.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've always kept a pair of large clothes because it's nice to be reminded me of the progress I've made. Everything else I just donate to a thrift shop that supports the local schools.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've dropped a bunch off over the years at a great larger size consignment shop. It helps everyone that way, the owner keeps the store open, buyers and sellers benefit as well. But I will say donating my time in a give away clothing boutique that larger sizes are few and far between as they are grabbed quickly off the racks so donating is always a wonderful thing to do as well.

Whatever you do, don't keep them! That's setting up a safety net to make it easy to gain weight and have clothes to wear when you do.

Congrats for shrinking enough to need a place to donate/sell them too. :smiley:
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I donated a huge bag recently. I am gradually buying items at smaller sizes, and going to consignment shops, because I don't think I'm done making positive changes. ☺
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I am surprised there's not a clothing swap/sale portion of this forum, to be honest. But I come from the land of hiking/backpacking groups and each one has their own gear market.

While I have bought, I don't donate to Goodwill because Goodwill is a private for-profit. Brilliant business model actually; make millions off of what people give you for free so you have zero COGS. (:

I have donated to the local animal shelter's thrift store, though. At least I know the money the make will actually go to the shelter's operation.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    OT: I plan on keeping all my too big clothes for at least five years. At one point, I got down to 165 lbs and got rid of everything too large. Three years later, I was 224 lbs and had no clothes that fit other than three t-shirts, one hoodie style sweatshirt, and a pair of track pants that were on the verge of being too small. Even undergarments were too small. It was pathetic.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sell them if you wish (Craigslist or EBay), donate them, or, if you're sure they won't take it the wrong way, give them to a friend who you know could use them!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    OT: I plan on keeping all my too big clothes for at least five years. At one point, I got down to 165 lbs and got rid of everything too large. Three years later, I was 224 lbs and had no clothes that fit other than three t-shirts, one hoodie style sweatshirt, and a pair of track pants that were on the verge of being too small. Even undergarments were too small. It was pathetic.

Its not really off-topic. Hedging bets is one major reason people choose to hang onto big clothes. I know I'd have become fed up with my weight gain LONG before though if I'd had to purchase a new wardrobe. I had way too much large clothes in my wardrobe, and was able to pack on an enormous 70 lb gain without having to purchase larger things. It was a mistake. Now I'm ditching the larger clothes because I clearly NEED that guideline.
  • ImOneStepCloser
    ImOneStepCloser Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    I say get rid of them. That's like keeping pictures of your ex just in case you get back together...even though you know you aren't good for each other! Out with the old, in with the new, and CONGRATULATIONS on your success! :)

THIS! lol
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    get rid of everything.

I did this and didn't look back.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a domestic abuse shelter. Those ladies often show up with only the clothes on their backs. Look up a number for a local hotline, when you call, state it is not an emergency. They will take your information and call you back. I donate all of my old household goods and clothes this way to help families. The items are donated directly and not funneled through a store like some other donation organizations. Plus, I have been there and so I am paying it forward.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I alter what I can (band t-shirts, really simple stuff) and donate the rest.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Get rid of them. Find a domestic abuse shelter in your area and donate to them. The women usually show up with nothing so clothes are welcome. Many even keep a selection of nicer clothes for the women to wear for job interviews or when they first get a job but haven't started getting their paychecks yet. If you live in a cold weather area, stop at your local dollar store and buy some new socks too. Socks are a very needed item at shelters, but are the least donated.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I believe in "fat pants." Keep the largest pair of pants you have in your possession (which presumably you used to wear when you were your largest) and donate the rest.

If anything, try to sell ONLY your best formalwear, or anything else that you KNOW has significant value; remember that PRICE is the ONLY reason to buy used clothing online, so trying to sell most everyday clothing items is a waste of your time.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I donated some, sold some, got some tailored and some went in the trash. I kept the "big" sweatshirts and tee's, and some big loungewear for home but everything else pretty much left (Some things I washed in hot water and threw in the dryer to shrink down too lol!!) I only kept, really... my biggest jeans for comparison later!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    I only kept, really... my biggest jeans for comparison later!

I kept a pair of shorts and a t-shirt for my progress photos. I have a photo of me at about 20 lb less than my highest weight wearing that same outfit so it is fun to see the difference, especially when I am feeling a bit down.

• Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    I traded with a cousin. She used to be thin and now is heavier. Worked out great for both of us. Maybe you can post on craigslist to find someone you can swap with. Either way, I say definitely get rid of most of your bigger stuff. You are more likely to keep the weight off if you are faced with going to the store to buy all larger sizes- not fun!

Was that awkward suggesting it to your formerly thin cousin?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    I say get rid of them. That's like keeping pictures of your ex just in case you get back together...even though you know you aren't good for each other!

I LOVED that analogy!!!! :D

• pmanney
    pmanney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Donating or selling your bigger clothes will give you a good financial incentive to maintain your weight (less so in my case, as I shop at Goodwill.) I did keep one of my larger sized-pants as a memorial. I continue to wear the same dress shirts, as I favor a looser cut.