Diary of a Gainer

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    aown61 wrote: »
    Sounds like everything going to plan! Do you have any tips on cutting? I have been a regular gym go'er for many years but doing it totally wrong, so at 32 years old this is the first time I have officially 'bulked' and the first time I would have aimed at a cut, I'm not really clued up as to what I should be doing when the time comes. (I'm thinking of beginning a cut in early March)
    Andy

Andy - Post this in a thread in the weight loss section and I'll comment. Don't want to hijack a bulking thread.

• memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everything going to plan! Do you have any tips on cutting? I have been a regular gym go'er for many years but doing it totally wrong, so at 32 years old this is the first time I have officially 'bulked' and the first time I would have aimed at a cut, I'm not really clued up as to what I should be doing when the time comes. (I'm thinking of beginning a cut in early March)
    Andy

Yep, like sjohnson__1 said, there is gonna be lots of tips on the lose weight section. I will probably start a threat over there next.
    One tip: whatever you do, don't make drastic changes.

See you on the other side!
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Thanks for answering my question. I'm going for a long lean bulk at 1-2lbs per month to minimise fat gain, this way it'll save me the trouble of having to take too much fat off when I want to cut.

I did read about higher fat having a detrimental effect on hormone levels. Specifically raising estrogen, cortisol and insulin. These three can hinder muscle gains.

Yes, I read that kind of stuff too. I believe the kind of side effects you are talking about apply to obese people with lots of extra weight. I don't think that having an extra 10 pounds will be too hard on the body, just my opinion.

One thing that I read and I'd been using on my programs is short term bulking or cutting. When bulking or cutting for long periods of time (more than 3 months) the body becomes less efficient, so the gainz or fat loss slows down with time, just like at the gym you can't get stronger forever in a linear way, sometimes you need to take one step back in order to take two steps forward.

Also, age plays a factor here, when I was on my 20's it was different, I could see changes in my body in just a few weeks, now it takes a little longer.

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    When bulking or cutting for long periods of time (more than 3 months) the body becomes less efficient, so the gainz or fat lost slows down with time

It's funny because I heard someone on youtube spouting the exact opposite lol. You end up not know what to believe lol.

I take your point about an extra 10lbs not messing with your hormones tho.

I've been doing well on a slightly less aggressive bulk, to keep my waist in check, each to their own.

Good luck with it,keep us posted.
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Andy

Andy - Post this in a thread in the weight loss section and I'll comment. Don't want to hijack a bulking thread.
    Andy

Cheers man - done